PDA

View Full Version : Guillows balsa models

delta_lima
November 18th, 2009, 21:19
I was going to entitle this thread "I want to get wood and rubber" .... but thought better of it.... :)

This Christmas holiday time off, I'm curious to do something I never did as a kid - build a Guillows scale model plane. Back then, it was all about plastic scale models - now I can catch up .... 30 years late, but what the heck.

I've narrowed it down to either the Hurricane:

http://www.guillow.com/kitimages/300/prod_det_506.jpg

or the Skyraider:

http://www.guillow.com/kitimages/300/prod_det_904.jpg

I'd like to at least try to fly them - certainly display them. I picked those because they were sturdy planes in real life. Anyone here build either of those - or any other in the series? Any advice on these?

thanks,

dl

Silver Fox
November 18th, 2009, 23:51
I built the Skyraider years ago... maybe 35 years ago. Not bad looking, mediocre flying qualities... but it did fly. You might find the balsa to be of uneven quality, and unless the dies have been replaced there is a good chance it will be die-crushed rather than die-cut.

There are other kit manufacturers out there that make better quality kits, but there is something nostalgic about the Guillows kits.

FlyTexas
November 19th, 2009, 13:57
I've built a few of these many moons ago. Ahhh, happy days! :icon_lol: You might consider purchasing a 2x4 ft acoustic ceiling tile and a box of straight pins before you start building your model. I used to cover my model airplane plans with a sheet of wax paper and then I'd attach them to the ceiling tile using a few thumb tacks. This will allow you to build your airplane (on the plans) without having it get stuck to your plans. Not to mention it's nice and easy to push the straight pins (used to hold parts in place until the glue dries) into the ceiling tile instead of some other surface.

Brian

delta_lima
November 19th, 2009, 19:18
Thanks SF - been a while since I've seen you in the FS9 forums, and I've quit the Outhouse - too much negativity for my liking. I believe you too, served in the CF, no? Army Signals Officer was my past - as per my avatar. Yes, I have limited expectations as to quality from the kit, but it's a start.

I'm not aware of any other kit maker with extensive military scale models in the "Walnut" scale - 18" or so is my target wing span. Even if there are, I'd rather learn skills on a $10 kit than a more expensive kit ... so just as well I stick to Guillows, quality notwithstanding. And you're right, there's a nostalgic element to them.

I actually got as far building their Piper Cub to just before covering with tissue, when I was about 10. Someone sat on it, and that was that - so from where I'm standing, it'll be a first, more or less!

Which brings me to FT's helpful suggestion - brilliant! Never thought of the tile. Any recommendations on good basic tools? My toolbox is configured for working on my motorcycle, hardly anything there for precision wood working. I'm wondering maybe some small clamps (holding things while they dry) ... what kind of glue, what kind of dope ... etc. This won't be a "white glue and newspaper on the dinner table" type of effort like my previous one .... :173go1:

thanks!

dl

FlyTexas
November 20th, 2009, 20:52
The only tools I ever used was just an X-Acto knife... http://www.xacto.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=165
...and a couple of fairly small plastic clamps. Oh, you'll also probably want to purchase a few extra blades for the knife. Be careful with the knife, it's extremely sharp. Yikes! I also had a small hard-wood block (about 6 inches x 12 inches) which I used to cut out the balsawood pieces on. As for the glue I always used Testors model cement for wood models. When I used to build models I used dope to paint the models. I think nowadays people use Acrylic paints.

Brian

Silver Fox
November 20th, 2009, 21:16
Yep, I'm ex CF... I was an Instrument/Electrical Tech in the Air Force. I haven't really been active in dimming for a while, but I know I'll jump back in soon enough. :) As for the Outhouse, found I ran out of things to say there... stopped going myself.

Tools for building a wood plane...

X-Acto knife set, sanding blocks, fine sandpaper and clothespins to use as clamps. I would suggest using a hobby-type CA glue, probably the type that doesn't set immediately so you get a bit of flexibility in positioning parts. A straight-edge comes in handy as well.

Do yourself a big favour and sand the back side of the die-cut sheets to ease seperating the pieces.

Silver Fox
November 20th, 2009, 21:25
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/results/?srchtype=AdvSearch&srchvendor=DUM&srchcat=AFR

Dumas makes Walnut Scale freeflight models of warbirds... laser-cut balsa instead of die-crushed. Not as nostalgic, and I've never built a Dumas kit. Dumas is well established in the model boat world.

Snuffy
November 21st, 2009, 06:30
I haven't done any model building in I don't know how long. I think I miss it.

delta_lima
November 21st, 2009, 10:11
http://www.greathobbies.com/search/results/?srchtype=AdvSearch&srchvendor=DUM&srchcat=AFR

Dumas makes Walnut Scale freeflight models of warbirds... laser-cut balsa instead of die-crushed. Not as nostalgic, and I've never built a Dumas kit. Dumas is well established in the model boat world.

Great reference, SF!

I think I'll start with a $10 kit from Guillows, then save up and splurge on a $20 kit from Dumas ... :173go1:. Seriously - I'd like to try one of the latter, first, though, I'll bash up a Guillows and see how it goes ...

FT - thanks for the tips on glue and such - looks like a $40 raid of Home Depot and the local hobby store should get me most of what I need ... except free time ... sometimes being fully and gainfully employed really gets in the way of having fun ...

Helldiver
November 21st, 2009, 15:00
I used to drive by Guillows plant in Wakefield, Massachusetts on the way to work. I was surprised that so much production could be produced out of what was just about a couple of four car garages.
I built my first Guillow 70 years ago. A beutiful Stinson Reliant.

smilo
November 27th, 2009, 16:45
for years, I've had a Guillow's Stuka and a Comet Spitfire II
sitting on the shelf. waiting patiently.

Kofschip
November 29th, 2009, 13:46
I started out in Holland with KeilKraft models. Have done my share of Guillows models too. Still have the rubber powered Me 109. Haven't flown it for years though.:bump:

Z-claudius24
December 9th, 2009, 14:37
Hi,

Years ago I made the Thomas Morse S4C Scout from Guillow's.(Kit 201)
Very good quality kit.
Was made as static (I not intend to make it fly)
It still on my shelf .... nice like the first day out of the paint shop :)

normb
December 9th, 2009, 15:18
The Guillows kits tend to use really heavy balsa. There are modeling groups, Yahoo and such, that actually get the things flying well, comparatively. Need to lighten them by replacing balsa or sanding down parts before pulling from sheets. Also need to use better rubber.

If you like scaratch building the Yahoo Comet Models group has all the comet plans posted for download.

Good luck and have fun!

sky pilot
June 21st, 2010, 11:43
I built the Skyraider years ago... maybe 35 years ago. Not bad looking, mediocre flying qualities... but it did fly. You might find the balsa to be of uneven quality, and unless the dies have been replaced there is a good chance it will be die-crushed rather than die-cut.

There are other kit manufacturers out there that make better quality kits, but there is something nostalgic about the Guillows kits.
go to cleavland models.com and you will find them any size you want up to 1/4 scale kits or just the plans,
sky pilot:jump:

Hern07
January 18th, 2011, 04:59
So long ago. My favorite was a B-47. Never covered it, but it was still beautiful.

Cazzie
January 18th, 2011, 06:19
I bet I spent more of my hard earned cash on Gillows balsa models, than I did on drugs in my lifetime!

Built them, flew them, crashed them! It was like "Groundhog Day". :icon_lol:

A :icon29: or twelve for reminding me of all the dang fun I had.

Caz

trucker17
October 24th, 2011, 21:27
I was going to entitle this thread "I want to get wood and rubber" .... but thought better of it.... :)

This Christmas holiday time off, I'm curious to do something I never did as a kid - build a Guillows scale model plane. Back then, it was all about plastic scale models - now I can catch up .... 30 years late, but what the heck.

I've narrowed it down to either the Hurricane:

http://www.guillow.com/kitimages/300/prod_det_506.jpg

or the Skyraider:

http://www.guillow.com/kitimages/300/prod_det_904.jpg

I'd like to at least try to fly them - certainly display them. I picked those because they were sturdy planes in real life. Anyone here build either of those - or any other in the series? Any advice on these?

thanks,

dl All of the gillows aircraft are great first time builds......
Heres pict of my scratch built P-40
Fun Flying aircraft.....with a 73" fuse and 86 1/2 " wingspan......I use robart retracks and a zinoah 62 gas engine

srgalahad
January 6th, 2013, 10:45
Here's a bit more to help that walk down memory lane...
http://www.collectair.com/index.html
Checkout the index on the left side and be prepared for a lot of mumbled : "I remember that..."

The Wood model pages begin here:
http://www.collectair.com/Model_Airplanes.html

If any of you are near Santa Barbara make the time to call and visit Steve. We did a couple of years ago, planning to spend an hour after lunch and me having to explain to my wife (who could care less about balsa) that it was 4PM, the dinner hour was approaching and it was time to go :icon_lol: