PDA

View Full Version : Etendard IVM WIP

sparouty
November 18th, 2009, 15:24
Hi everybody,
Just a little thread to show you some screenshots of my Etendard IVM taken from 3DS (WIP). The exterior model is now 90% finished, the paint work is just beginning and in parallel, my team mates are working hardly on the flight model...

I had struggled a lot against the SDK in order to have all the outer animations working (navy aircraft have some "nice" specific ones... :icon_lol:) but now, I'm moving forward the virtual cockpit work with quite apprehensions...

I hope you'll appreciate my new obsession :bump:
Regards,
Sylvain

MCDesigns
November 18th, 2009, 15:31
Wow, very nice work, looks great! best of luck on completing it. :ernae:

Tweek
November 18th, 2009, 16:14
Looks fantastic! Any plans for a Super Etendard to partner it (although I'd certainly be more than happy with just the IVM!)?

N2056
November 18th, 2009, 16:18
Looks great! :icon29:

Boomer
November 18th, 2009, 16:20
very nice!:applause:

noddy
November 19th, 2009, 04:38
That really looks great, can't wait.

jankees
November 19th, 2009, 05:24
I dunno why, but I've always liked French jets, and this one is no exception.
Looks great!

Matt Wynn
November 19th, 2009, 05:47
oooh Étendard Modernisé, Tres Bon!

love the IVM, the super Étendard was a bit of a pig... :icon_lol: great work keep it up, another aircraft i really cannot wait for, so much beautiful French kit to look forwards to :jump:

VaporZ
November 19th, 2009, 06:09
Superb Work Sylvain

Marcel Dassault was a genius !

The Étendard IVM is one of the most elegant fighter of the sixties, with sleek lines, center upper nose retractable reflueling probe and even ....
a stabilator fin under the nose !!!!

A quite unique design !

For FSX it will be perfect and its Naval Home, the Clémenceau Aircraft Carrier is already available as an FSX Freeware here :

http://perso.numericable.fr/sonny3/RFN/

Keep up your excellent work !
:ernae::applause:
VaporZ

Flyboy208
November 19th, 2009, 07:07
Beautiful! Mike :applause:

Lateral-G
November 19th, 2009, 07:29
I like it!

:monkies::applause::applause::applause::medals::er nae::icon29::applause:

-G-

sparouty
November 19th, 2009, 09:58
Thanks for the very nice comments!

I have already planned to make the IVP version (the recco one with fixed refueling probe and cameras into the nose). They can share the same VC and the exterior models are extremly close. I would like to release both together.
The Super-Etendard is not planned yet. Although both exterior model are may be not so different (I'm not 100% sure of that ...) , but the VC will have to be a brand new one...

Last I will certainly release a Clemenceau V3 in the same time: firstly, I have some "Javier's" enhancements to add :icon_lol:, and secondly, I always wanted to have aslo a yearly Clemenceau with grey-white Crusaders and blue-white Etendards on the deck... By the way it will certainly be a "Foch" :bump:

Regards,
Sylvain

Dexdoggy
November 19th, 2009, 12:23
Beautiful work - I love carrier jets!

LordAkshay798
November 19th, 2009, 14:20
Will this be payware or freeware(not that it matters)?

peter12213
November 19th, 2009, 15:41
Been waiting for ages to see this sylvain, you've done my favoure dassult etendard model too the IVM, thanks for sharing!

sparouty
January 29th, 2010, 13:06
Hi!
I can't resist to show you some screen shots of my Etendard IVM during its first carrier landing sessions.
I'm very glad of the huge works done by the guys who help me, and I'm sure it will be a very nice plane but not easy for carrier landing : Clemenceau is not wide and 135knots seems very speed at least...:bump:

Last, recenlty, there was a thread about having or not Acceleration: look at these screenshots and you'll have my answer!:jump:
Regards,
S.

Into the groove!!
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8710/wipetd39.th.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/wipetd39.jpg/)
Why do I love Acceleration?!
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4669/wipetd40.th.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/wipetd40.jpg/)
... Wire3?!!
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1870/wipetd42.th.jpg (http://img191.imageshack.us/i/wipetd42.jpg/)
Last, tanks and roquets configuration:
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3749/wipetd41.th.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/wipetd41.jpg/)

bruce448
January 29th, 2010, 13:10
Awsome. :monkies:

kilo delta
January 29th, 2010, 13:13
C'est magnifique :applause:

peter12213
January 29th, 2010, 13:18
Sylvain your work is amazing! As an Aeronavale lover this is just brilliant, it looks amazing and I cannot wait to fly her!:salute:

Your 3rd shot is not my desktop background!

fsafranek
January 29th, 2010, 13:57
She looks wonderful, Sylvain. Looking forward to viewing this one closer, climbing in, and flying her.
:ernae:

Cleartheprop
January 29th, 2010, 14:03
Mon Dieu que c'est beau! :-)
Thanks for the hard work! :ernae:

Daube
January 29th, 2010, 14:43
Ca dechire grave ! :applause:

Cag40Navy
January 29th, 2010, 16:16
Lookin forward to it.

dominikx
February 5th, 2010, 00:22
you can make essex class carrier
:mixedsmi:

Francois
February 5th, 2010, 00:27
Chouette !!!!! :applause:

peter12213
February 5th, 2010, 03:38
I want it, I want it, I want it, I want it ... shall I continue....

Really I can not wait to get this now, the more I look at it the more I just drool, this is really the aircraft I'm most excited about and the most eagerly awaited in my history of fsx simming! :salute:

Piglet
February 5th, 2010, 18:07
but now, I'm moving forward the virtual cockpit work with quite apprehensions...

Don't let it get to you!:ernae: Judging by the exterior model, you should do just fine. I just started the VC for my Skyraider. I manage by doing one small section at a time. Panel in one session, seat in the next,....
Remember, it's just polys!

sparouty
February 6th, 2010, 04:04
Hi guys!
Many thanks for your nice comments!
My VC is progessing slowly, I'm spending my time in modeling, painting and coding animations which is a nice balance for my motivation... :icon_lol:
Piglet, as you told me, I focus first to the panel, the rest of the cockpit will be done in a second time. Just polys, yes, but how long it takes to put them all together!! :isadizzy:
I joined a screenshot to show how it looks like today. Thanks to the help of a former Etendard pilot, I could add some nice details into instruments code, but I still have a lot of work to do...
Regards,

S.

Cleartheprop
February 6th, 2010, 04:09
Looks familiar ! Very nice cockpit and airplane indeed!
Bon courage pour ce travail de Titan! C'est magnifique et tu as beaucoup de fans ici !
Cheers! :ernae:

Rick_Piper
February 6th, 2010, 07:46
Stunning model mate

You have captured her perfectly

love the gear & texturing on the small parts

Regards
Rick

sparouty
May 13th, 2010, 15:05
Hi everybody!
I haven't post some fresh news for a while so here is some recent screen shots.
The project is still progessing but slowly. I have a lot of different open items (vc and external models, painting/weathering, specific nav ops dll, missions, etc...) but all the tests done are very positive so I'm confident in being able to finish it "soon"*.
I really like the way this plane looks and renders in FSX :)

Regards
Sylvain

* --> I have no date in mind, just the feeling of progressing with a good tempo :jump:

JamesChams
May 13th, 2010, 15:28
Mr. Sylvain "sparouty,"

Its looking nice, so far:applause: ... Just keep up the good work and don't forget to enhance the VC textures to 4096x4096 or 2048x2048, (i.e. HI-Res.)

Merci! :salute:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

Skittles
May 13th, 2010, 15:47
Mr. Sylvain "sparouty,"

Its looking nice, so far:applause: ... Just keep up the good work and don't forget to enhance the VC textures to 4096x4096 or 2048x2048, (i.e. HI-Res.)

Unless you have made the textures in those sizes, you can't just 'enhance them.' If they were done in 1024 x 1024 they'd need to be completely redone.

N2056
May 13th, 2010, 15:52
How do you know they are not already enhanced?

Skittles
May 13th, 2010, 16:02
How do you know they are not already enhanced?

I don't, hence saying unless they have not been originally made in the higher resolutions you cannot just 'enhance' them.

N2056
May 13th, 2010, 16:05
Sorry, I actually was referring to the post above yours :salute:

JamesChams
May 13th, 2010, 22:16
Sorry,...Yes, you'll sure are... Now for once, why don't you both run along and let me and Mr. Sylvain "sparouty" discuss things without your meaningless inputs; seriously! :salute:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

SkippyBing
May 13th, 2010, 22:22
Because it's a forum thread and not a personal message?

PS Sylvain looking good!

JamesChams
May 13th, 2010, 22:30
Because it's a forum thread and not a personal message? ...
Are you honestly saying that because its a public forum, it justifies meaningless bantering?

The post is about the development of the Etendard, lets stick to suggestions about that and not mindless "mud slinging" again, seriously. :salute:

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

michael davies
May 13th, 2010, 22:49
Hi everybody!
I haven't post some fresh news for a while so here is some recent screen shots.
The project is still progessing but slowly. I have a lot of different open items (vc and external models, painting/weathering, specific nav ops dll, missions, etc...) but all the tests done are very positive so I'm confident in being able to finish it "soon"*.
I really like the way this plane looks and renders in FSX :)

Regards
Sylvain

* --> I have no date in mind, just the feeling of progressing with a good tempo :jump:

Very nice clean mesh there !, take your time and enjoy yourself, it will certainly show in the end article.

Kindest

Michael

noddy
May 13th, 2010, 23:09
Can't wait. :salute:

Skittles
May 13th, 2010, 23:16
Yes, you'll sure are... Now for once, why don't you both run along and let me and Mr. Sylvain "sparouty" discuss things without your meaningless inputs; seriously! :salute:

Meaningless input?

What, like asking someone to magically enhance the textures to double or quadruple their native resolution? Your comments couldn't me more meaningless, hence my correction. No mud-slinging here, just the statement that I assume this developer isn't a wizard.

Now let me find that enhance button in photoshop.........

harleyman
May 14th, 2010, 00:03
Ok Men..

Lets just move ahead with how nice this is going to be please....!

Have a great day ....YEA !

spatialpro
May 14th, 2010, 00:21
I wsee the logo on the screenshots reads "by Royale French Navy"... sounds like an interesting choice of name?!

sparouty
May 14th, 2010, 01:24
Hi guys and thanks for your nice comments!

To answer to the texture question: I try to be very carefull about this point. I use 2048px textures for the external model in order to keep the fuselage and wings in one piece and have a good rendering. For the interior model, which is still under progress, I don't use for now any large texture. The main panel (which is the larger object) doesn't seem to need a 2048px file.
For the moment, I made the choice to have only 1024px textures to prevent me from some "texture lag", and trust me, the result is sharp...
For larger texture like 4096px, my computer can't manage such size. Having Photoshop, with all the needed layers open with a 4096px texture is definitely not possible with my system...:confused:

Regarding the name of our team "Royale French Navy", "Royale" is the nickname of the French miltary navy. Certainly a souvenir of the golden ages, the 18th century I'd say. My friend "Sonny", a retired F4U-7 pilot, had created years ago, a web site dedicated to FS navy airplanes with this name and we decided to use it as our home base : http://perso.numericable.fr/sonny3/RFN/

Have look to the "FSX Projet" folder, you'll find some nice Etendard vidéos ...

Regards
S.

Milton Shupe
May 14th, 2010, 03:34

To answer to the texture question: I try to be very carefull about this point. I use 2048px textures for the external model in order to keep the fuselage and wings in one piece and have a good rendering. For the interior model, which is still under progress, I don't use for now any large texture. The main panel (which is the larger object) doesn't seem to need a 2048px file.
For the moment, I made the choice to have only 1024px textures to prevent me from some "texture lag", and trust me, the result is sharp...
For larger texture like 4096px, my computer can't manage such size. Having Photoshop, with all the needed layers open with a 4096px texture is definitely not possible with my system...:confused:

Regarding the name of our team "Royale French Navy", "Royale" is the nickname of the French miltary navy. Certainly a souvenir of the golden ages, the 18th century I'd say. My friend "Sonny", a retired F4U-7 pilot, had created years ago, a web site dedicated to FS navy airplanes with this name and we decided to use it as our home base : http://perso.numericable.fr/sonny3/RFN/

Have look to the "FSX Projet" folder, you'll find some nice Etendard vidéos ...

Regards
S.

Beautiful work Sylvain inside and outside. This will be an excellent addition to the hangar. Thank you very much. :applause:

peter12213
May 14th, 2010, 03:41
I'm glad to hear you won't be doing stupidly sized textures for the VC my computer at the moment can't run 2048 or bigger without crashing the scenery, so I'm really glad you sticking to 1024 as this is the best for framerates and if it is clear which I'm sure it will be, no one can ever tell!

On another note it is looking really super awesome, I can't wait to take it onto the Clemenceau and do some really nice flights in her!

Dag
May 14th, 2010, 03:55
Hi,

That is superb work on that Etendard, excellent :salute:
I agree, 4096 x 4096 pixel VC textures would be almost meaningless for the average FSX computer. 2048 x 2048 also, for that matter. Especially if saved as 32 bit (file size will be 16MB). An FS addon, pay or free should not be made for a select few but for the masses, I believe.
Just my point of view, this post can be deleted as appropriate should it provoke forum posters or moderators.

Thanks
and looking forward to the Etendard !

peter12213
May 14th, 2010, 04:01
Hi,

That is superb work on that Etendard, excellent :salute:
I agree, 4096 x 4096 pixel VC textures would be almost meaningless for the average FSX computer. 2048 x 2048 also, for that matter. Especially if saved as 32 bit (file size will be 16MB). An FS addon, pay or free should not be made for a select few but for the masses, I believe.
Just my point of view, this post can be deleted as appropriate should it provoke forum posters or moderators.

Thanks
and looking forward to the Etendard !

I agree with you 100% Dag, 1024 is the right size for everyone to enjoy! Most of my new aircraft I'm having to spend ages just resizing textures just so they'll run on my lower spec system!

Bjoern
May 14th, 2010, 07:47
An FS addon, pay or free should not be made for a select few but for the masses, I believe.

I'm a fan of 2048px textures as they offer more space to map stuff while reducing draw calls.

I wouldn't make my textures any other way. In fact, my Do-328 uses 2048s only. And with DXT compression, you'll save a few MBytes as well.

Ton Étendard est un travail excéllent Sylvain!

Dag
May 14th, 2010, 10:07
I'm a fan of 2048px textures as they offer more space to map stuff while reducing draw calls.

I wouldn't make my textures any other way. In fact, my Do-328 uses 2048s only. And with DXT compression, you'll save a few MBytes as well.

Ton Étendard est un travail excéllent Sylvain!

You certainly have a point there Björn, but it depends on how things are mapped. To merely resample the resolution 200% on a say, previously sized 1048 pix VC main instrument panel textures, would have a performance hit in one way, especially load time.

Thanks

Bjoern
May 14th, 2010, 10:26
You certainly have a point there Björn, but it depends on how things are mapped. To merely resample the resolution 200% on a say, previously sized 1048 pix VC main instrument panel textures, would have a performance hit in one way, especially load time.

Yes, of course. Simply blowing up the resolution without extensive rework afterwards isn't gonna help.

My textures are *native* 2048s, say mapped on a 2048²px large "canvas" (or workspace or base, whatever you call it). I was even playing with the thought of using even less 4096²px "canvases" but this would mean that people like Peter with lower end PCs had to sacrifice even more quality upon downsizing as well as an awfully increased workload on the computer and concerned programs upon editing textures. A single 2048px texture file with 20+ layers already takes a toll on my PC, with twice the size even my quad core would burst into flames when running Max 9 and FSX plus GIMP (or Photoshop) at the same time.

Those 2048 textures are just about perfect. They offer a nice increase in detail as well as lots of room to map less important parts on which in turn helps performance.

JamesChams
May 14th, 2010, 15:53

....Mr. Sylvian "sparouty,"
2048 seems to be a happy compromise for all, it would seem... But, it wouldn't hurt to give users choices, is MHO. It seems that if one has a system that is *better* than the average, why should one not expect more??? However, learning that you cannot produce it due to your own system's limitations is understandable for a freeware.

BTW: Merci! :wavey: ... for these model(s).

====================================

RE: Other *Attack* posts by users here...

Frankly, this constant "Whining"-posts, which leads to pointless temper-tantrum arguments about nothing, simply because one's system does not "hacking-it" (when it comes to FSX's potentials) is getting rather old, real fast. I've seen many of you do this in almost every forum. It looks to me like you'll have moved from whining about "FS9 vs. FSX" to "My (hardware's) FPS in FSX because of..."

Meaningless input?

What, like asking someone to magically enhance the textures to double or quadruple their native resolution? Your comments couldn't me more meaningless, hence my correction. No mud-slinging here, just the statement that I assume this developer isn't a wizard.

Now let me find that enhance button in photoshop......... Mr. Skittles,
I see NO reason why anyone cannot state an opinion (even if it is drastically different than "yours" or your "friends") without having a group of you'll "like-minded fanatics" gang-up against that individual or specifically, me, in this case. You'll do this everywhere you can and its totally *meaningless* rubbish that pleases no one. So, Stop it, Seriously! :salute:

The developer is definitely smarter than you (or me)... so, don't worry about what he can or can't do; just let him/her speak for themselves without needing your input to create unnecessary drama in their post. My request(s) were directed to Mr. Sylvian; Did I ask for your input? (Certainly NOT). Direct your opinion to him if you like, but DON'T attack me or mine because you *FEEL* you can; I believe that SOH forum rules refer to conduct, perhaps everyone as of late, should revisit that post? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon3.gif

Staff,
I'm dropping these pointless discussions and let cooler heads prevail... No matter what else is said. If they cannot continue to be civil, I'll limit my discussions with ONLY the developers.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

PRB
May 14th, 2010, 16:23
...I'm dropping these pointless discussions and let cooler heads prevail...

Thank you!

Looking good, Sylvain!

I remember seeing some video a few years ago of these type planes from the Argentine Navy shooting approaches to a US carrier, as it made a transit around “The Cape”, from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Evidently there was an agreement with the Argentine Navy that allowed them to practice carrier landings on USN flat tops when one was near by. Not sure if this was before or after the Falklands War, but I'll guess it was before... It was cool seeing those “unusual” (for a US CV) shooting touch and goes!

Skittles
May 14th, 2010, 17:30
Mr. Sylvian "sparouty,"
2048 seems to be a happy compromise for all, it would seem... But, it wouldn't hurt to give users choices, is MHO. It seems that if one has a system that is *better* than the average, why should one not expect more??? However, learning that you cannot produce it due to your own system's limitations is understandable for a freeware.

BTW: Merci! :wavey: ... for these model(s).

====================================

RE: Other *Attack* posts by users here...

Frankly, this constant "Whining"-posts, which leads to pointless temper-tantrum arguments about nothing, simply because one's system does not "hacking-it" (when it comes to FSX's potentials) is getting rather old, real fast. I've seen many of you do this in almost every forum. It looks to me like you'll have moved from whining about "FS9 vs. FSX" to "My (hardware's) FPS in FSX because of..."

Mr. Skittles,
I see NO reason why anyone cannot state an opinion (even if it is drastically different than "yours" or your "friends") without having a group of you'll "like-minded fanatics" gang-up against that individual or specifically, me, in this case. You'll do this everywhere you can and its totally *meaningless* rubbish that pleases no one. So, Stop it, Seriously! :salute:

The developer is definitely smarter than you (or me)... so, don't worry about what he can or can't do; just let him/her speak for themselves without needing your input to create unnecessary drama in their post. My request(s) were directed to Mr. Sylvian; Did I ask for your input? (Certainly NOT). Direct your opinion to him if you like, but DON'T attack me or mine because you *FEEL* you can; I believe that SOH forum rules refer to conduct, perhaps everyone as of late, should revisit that post? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon3.gif

Staff,
I'm dropping these pointless discussions and let cooler heads prevail... No matter what else is said. If they cannot continue to be civil, I'll limit my discussions with ONLY the developers.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

Why is it that if you have a contradicting opinion you are branded a like minded fanatic?

James you just don't get it. Open a picture in paint. Zoom in. Watch what happens.

This is a forum James. People use it to post comments. If you want private conversations take it to PM. Unless over the past 24 hours the internet itself has inverted, forums are a place for people to post messages and opinions. In fact, here is a definition; "a public meeting or assembly for open discussion." When you request high resolution textures that are not native you are requesting 50/100 hours worth of work for each resolution, not to mention that the original references will most likely not be suitable.

If you don't like people posting discussions on a discussion board then there's something wrong somewhere.

harleyman
May 14th, 2010, 17:44
And we are done......

this is going nowhere now...

great freeware...Thank you sir...We all appreciate your great work and efforts...

lets take up developing matters with the developor if we can...

PRB
May 14th, 2010, 17:48
Maybe it would be best if everyone just took a deep breath. Is the entire month of May a full moon around here or what? All this over a request to make high resolution VC textures? Really? Everyone knows what everyone else meant by now. It's sad that the impending release of this beautiful airplane has been marred by this ridiculous bickering. All hands give it a rest!