PDA

View Full Version : Super Cub: L-21 Fly-In....

mike_cyul
November 18th, 2009, 14:18
A brief update to show you the latest additions to the Super Cub project: this time, the L-21 military version, in present-day configurations. The principle difference is the larger glass area at the rear of the cockpit.

The red-and-white is a second Extreme model, to accompany the other one (see website), with a 180 hp engine and modern "square" panel, plus the usual 35" bushwheels and all the other extreme bush-flying goodies.

The olive-green version represents a modern "restored" aircraft (note the registration under the stabiliser). Paint scheme strait from the military manual.

Ok, a non-L-21 flew in, too, but just to show some changes to the Classic version: new panel, new see-through lower door, and a subdued but non the less real-world paint scheme. This is the real work-horse of the present day Super Cub fleet, and will come with floats and skis, as well. Put an artificial-horizon in there in case you really have to get out there on poor-viz days or descend through clouds to get home.

All panels are based on real-world examples, with some changes. GPS's are removable. As are the belly pods, incidentally.

Still to come is a 95 hp L-21, of the type very popular in Europe today.

And then that should wrap everything up!

Hope you like. :)

Mike

mikew
November 18th, 2009, 14:33
Mike,

Fantastic work! This package keeps getting better and better... Really looking forward to it.

Mike

wilycoyote4
November 18th, 2009, 15:09
:applause::applause: well done :medals::icon29: glad to see this update:ernae:

MudMarine
November 18th, 2009, 15:15
I've been looking forward to this one for a looooong time!:engel016::icon_lol:

doublecool
November 18th, 2009, 15:21
She just gets better and better :applause:

Naki
November 18th, 2009, 15:34
Looks great! Can you plop the dash mounted GPS into any version?

lawdawg
November 18th, 2009, 15:37
Fantastic....drool.
:jump::jump:

Bomber_12th
November 18th, 2009, 16:04
Mike, I keep puting off other things, knowing that I am holding off for releases like this!
It will be great to have a higher horse-power alternative to the L-4's in my hangar. ;)

As always, there is a very cool sense of realism within the work that you do. You definitely have an eye for getting things right. Very nice keychain by the way!

Lionheart
November 18th, 2009, 16:26
Two versions of panels??? Nice!

Awesome VC's Mike. Looking like one sweet plane Sir.

:applause: :medals: :applause:

Bill

mike_cyul
November 18th, 2009, 16:29
Thanks, John - and glad you like the keychain (should I copyright it? lol). It will swing in reaction to just about every force the aircraft will be subjected to: negative G's, acceleration, braking, slip, etc..

Naki, all aircraft will be coming with a handheld GPS on the dash, which you can put away with just a mouseclick on a screw.

Mike

falcon409
November 18th, 2009, 16:29
Yea, beautiful work there Mike. Really great watching it come together. Keep up the great work!!:ernae:

mike_cyul
November 18th, 2009, 16:35
Two versions of panels??? Nice!

Bill

Thanks! :)

Try six different panels (or something like that!). There really is no standard Super Cub panel these days, so I tried to create a variety that would represent both the history of the aircraft and reflect the unbelievable variety out there.

The deluxe IFR Amphibious model has removeable avionics, with gauge polys beneath, so that users who have purchased independant high-end GPS's, for example, can put them in their plane. A 'personalizable' avionics suite.

Mike

Kiwikat
November 18th, 2009, 17:22
The deluxe IFR Amphibious model has removeable avionics, with gauge polys beneath, so that users who have purchased independant high-end GPS's, for example, can put them in their plane. A 'personalizable' avionics suite.

Well you just got another customer. :d

How's the paint kit coming along?

Wombat_VC
November 18th, 2009, 17:31

Mike

Now, this is awesome! :medals::medals::medals: Does this mean that I can put something like a Garmin G600 in it (if I can find one for FSX)?

mike_cyul
November 18th, 2009, 17:44
Now, this is awesome! :medals::medals::medals: Does this mean that I can put something like a Garmin G600 in it (if I can find one for FSX)?

The entire radio/transponder/blank area can be cleared, taking away one or as many as you need. The gauge poly beneath is one large one, so that you could even put a large flatscreen display in there if you wanted - or just replace the radio and keep the transponder, or use the blank area and keep the radio and transponder - etc., etc.. Also means your avionics package doesn't have to exactly fit the shape of the one you're replacing.

Mike

robcap
November 18th, 2009, 21:45
I'm going to get this one for sure!

R.

gajit
November 18th, 2009, 22:29
So am I :jump::jump: That is a super VC :applause:

txnetcop
November 19th, 2009, 00:52
That is your usual awesomeness Mike! I still fly that L-4 every day. Outstanding job on a great aircraft.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

sim-paticissimo
November 19th, 2009, 03:38
Well you just got another customer. :d

Here's another!
As usual, no VC shadows?:icon_lol:

JoeW
November 19th, 2009, 13:41
That bottom one looks great, Mike.

Reddog
November 19th, 2009, 16:12
Will this work in FSX with just SP1 installed or does it need
SP2 or ACC?

mike_cyul
November 19th, 2009, 16:52
Will this work in FSX with just SP1 installed or does it need
SP2 or ACC?

To be safe, we're going to say it requires Acceleration. In the past things have worked just fine for the most part with SP2, but there has been the occasional SP2 user who has had an issue that went away once Acceleration was installed.

SP1 definately not recommended, unfortunately.

Mike

monk1
November 19th, 2009, 21:37
Can. Not. Wait. :jump:

bstolle
November 19th, 2009, 21:53
THAT's exactly the Super Cub I'm waiting for!!!
Still the tailtragger I enjoy the most IRL.
Is it going to have a sound set ? I love the characteristic whistling!

Regards

Bernt

fliger747
November 20th, 2009, 08:47
Just home now from a too long trip, but having a chance to fly the latest version. There are a few really talented people out there that seem to be able to be sucessful at all parts of aircraft design, Mike is one of them! Unbelievable amount of work going into this one!

Cheers: T

txnetcop
November 20th, 2009, 11:20
Hate to be prejudiced on this one, but Mike's cockpits and exterior are absolute WOW! It would be a fool's errand not to buy this one. Glad you are onboard with this model Tom.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Kiwikat
November 20th, 2009, 11:23
Are we there yet?! :monkies:

gajit
November 20th, 2009, 11:38
Hate to be prejudiced on this one, but Mike's cockpits and exterior are absolute WOW! It would be a fool's errand not to buy this one. Glad you are onboard with this model Tom.
Ted
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

I agree with you :ernae:

lawdawg
November 20th, 2009, 13:21
The WOW factor is epic on this one. Fully in agreement guys.
Are we there yet??? :pop4:

JoeW
November 21st, 2009, 00:04
All you guys that don't have SP2 or Acceleration installed yet, you might as well go ahead and install it and be done with it. There is a lot of scenery that won't work without it. I had to install SP2 three times before I got it in right. Acceleration ...... I installed about 3 times. FSX ............. was installed about 6 times and I had to call MS to finally get it in. They are just a little temperamental.

mike_cyul
November 21st, 2009, 12:32
Just a quick view of the last two (at last!) variants in this project, the R-170 being an L-21 minus spinner, and an L-18 of the Royal Norwegian Air Force. The L-18 has only the fuselage, firewall-back, in common with the L-21. Wings and engine are are different. Windshield, panel all different as well

:)

Mike