PDA

View Full Version : 'Ferrari Threatens To Quit If Standard/Spec Engines Are Brought In To F1'

Panther_99FS
October 28th, 2008, 09:13
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-standard-engines-may-force-us-out-ferrari-says/

brian1305
October 28th, 2008, 11:50
I can understand where they are coming from here..F1 has always been about Development, after all where would we be without ABS?

On the other side of the coin it does make it more difficult for the smaller teams to build winning cars!

No easy answer here, but Im not convinced standard spec is the way to go - perhaps a "salary cap" system would be more benificial to each team?

Ferry_vO
October 28th, 2008, 13:16
I can understand where they are coming from here..F1 has always been about Development

I think the biggest objection manufacturers have is that they'll have to use an engine designed by someone else. Most manufacturers are proud of their engine technology, and I'm sure they do not want a 'Ferrari powered by Toyota' or a 'McLaren-Mercedes-Fiat'.

Ferry_vO
October 28th, 2008, 13:35
The FIA's official reply:

“The FIA has noted the press statement issued by the Ferrari Board of Directors. It seems the Ferrari Board were misinformed. The FIA has offered the teams three options, one of which is the so-called standard engine, and another that the manufacturers should jointly guarantee to supply power trains to the independent teams for less than €5m per season.

“The FIA is delighted by Ferrari's financial success and hopes this will be maintained. However a number of teams find themselves facing costs which greatly exceed income. This is not sustainable.

“It is now for the manufacturers to agree one of the three FIA options or themselves produce concrete proposals to reduce costs to a sustainable level.

“If neither happens, the FIA will take whatever measures prove necessary to preserve a credible world championship for both drivers and constructors.”<!-- ArticleBodyEnd -->