PDA

View Full Version : History Channel Now

Milton Shupe
November 15th, 2009, 17:03
7PM Mountain time ... WWII footage

deKoven
November 16th, 2009, 04:24
Yep, I watched it. Some good, some bad. In places it was too much of an overview and in others way too narrowly focused. All that said;

Many, many hats off to all those who served in that war and in others down through the years. :medals::medals: and a couple :icon29::icon29: just to get 'em going again.

brad kaste
November 16th, 2009, 06:22
If I'm not mistaken,....it'll be on for another 3 nights or so. All in color,...(I think some b/w was 'colorized')....two hours each night. Lots of new WWII footage I've never seen before. What I like is the focus on 3 or 4 young servicemen from basic training to combat. All from different backgrounds. I think that's how they'll do it tonight and for the other nights: Focusing on the combat experiences of certain men and women to weave the history of America's participation in WWII on all fronts.

Cazzie
November 16th, 2009, 10:38
Yep, on again at 9:00 tonight. Some good footage, some of which I actually don't think I have seen before.

Caz

Wittpilot
November 19th, 2009, 08:49
Got to see some of it today because I was home from work due to a nasty allergic reaction to some medicine I was on... Anyways..... I think it is pretty good, I think it is better than what the master Ken Burns did.... Don't get me wrong, I love Ken Burns' work on "The Civil War", but his WWII documentary was just not good for the very reason he waited so long to do it; that is, there was just so much to cover....

-witt

deKoven
November 20th, 2009, 04:22
I watched it all. I was born just 6 weeks after Pearl so am a WW2 baby, I guess. From their blurbs and runners, it was all color and not colorized. Remember though, not all was professional photogs; some was shot by "rank" amateurs and those bits will be washed out and faded looking.

All that said; yes, it was too much overview in places and in others was very tightly focused. It all had to do with the one(s) taking the film. I've seen a lot of films about the war, some good, lots of them bad. But the general feeling I got from this one was pretty good. They did try to show the REALITY of war and I think they succeeded. In almost all the other films you never saw bodies or if you did they were "pretty"ed up. And the comment by the vets was perhaps the best parts. We who've never been in a war haven't a real understanding of what its like to live life knowing that some guys out there may just have a bullet with your name on it and it could come at any moment.

For the vets from this war and from all the others - :medals: many of them and have a :icon29: for good measure.

Hals und Bein Bruch
November 20th, 2009, 06:38
kinda sad that the most famous footage (Wyler's Memphis Belle) was only the same 3rd or 4th gen scratched-up nasty copy that we've come to know so well...:confused: