PDA

View Full Version : Team AVSIM / Modern GA / Grumman Goose

Great Ozzie
November 14th, 2009, 14:23
Making the leap...

I have the Baton, Mildenhall AB :unitedkingdom: to Ferihegy, Budapest :hungary: (EGUN-LHBP)

Using Active Sky Advanced Weather Engine

Great Ozzie
November 14th, 2009, 14:58
Well... for some reason after leveling off at 6000' I "crashed". The autopilot was on from shortly after take-off and I was watching the airspeed (about halfway into the yellow arc and essentially no turbulence). Not sure why this occurred as Duenna shows no overspeed. :confused:

Baton Time 23:30:01 :confused:

Great Ozzie
November 14th, 2009, 15:06
Trying Again...

I have the Baton Mildenhall AB :unitedkingdom: to Ferihegy :hungary: (EGUN-LHBP)

Using Active Sky Advanced Weather Engine

Vicious
November 14th, 2009, 15:15
Hey Rob,

Do you have a planned route for the Goose or are we each just going to wing it?

Great Ozzie
November 14th, 2009, 16:05
Hi Tom,

Can you logon Buzz's Teamspeak (it's up and running)? Thanks... There's a semi-plan :p:

Great Ozzie
November 14th, 2009, 18:52
Baton released at Ferihegy :hungary: (LHBP)

Great Ozzie
November 17th, 2009, 15:50
Taking the Baton from Ferihegy, Budapest :hungary: to Etimesgut AB, Ankara :turkey: (LHBP-LTAD)

Dangerousdave26
November 17th, 2009, 19:26
Rob

That happened to me in the last RTWR

The Default FSX Goose does not like to be flown on the edge. It will over stress in flight very easily.

Dave

Great Ozzie
November 17th, 2009, 20:27
Have safely Released the Baton at Etimesgut AB, Ankara :turkey: (LTAD)

Bry Rosier
November 19th, 2009, 02:13
Heading down to Baghdad ORBI

Bry Rosier
November 19th, 2009, 06:02
Nice gentle flight taking care at wind shifts :) Landed safely RWY 15R . 1st Checkpoint reached .

piccies :- Goose having a "Turkish Bath" before departure from LTAD

Heading off to Baghdad and Arriving at Baghdad

Great Ozzie
November 20th, 2009, 18:26
Rob

That happened to me in the last RTWR

The Default FSX Goose does not like to be flown on the edge. It will over stress in flight very easily.

Dave
Hi Dave...
Are you referring to slightly exceeding Vne (or I guess too bumping up against Vne)? In testing, I found it very easy to overspeed (crash) the Goose when descending below 5000' or so...

But the identical flight minutes after that crashed one, I (Max KIAS) was actually faster, and the 2nd on the 18th, Max KIAS nearly identical to the crashed speed. All roughly middle of the yellow arc.

I'm thinking it had more to do with a supposed Baton Time of 23hrs 30min. (Also, there was "fluke" during my pre-flight with ASA and FSX that I ignored before that doomed flight, which I won't if it ever occurs again).

Great Ozzie
November 20th, 2009, 18:27
Taking the Baton from Baghdad Intl. :iraq: to Samungli, Quetta :pakistan: (ORBI-OPQT)

Great Ozzie
November 21st, 2009, 00:36
Have safely Released the Baton at Samungli, Quetta :pakistan: (OPQT) despite a wicked 22.54"/763mb pressure setting.

Great Ozzie
November 22nd, 2009, 15:11
Taking the Baton from Samungli, Quetta :pakistan: to Allahabad Bamrauli :india: (OPQT-VIAL)

Flight Departure delayed due to Icing (really! on the evaporator of my "air cooler" )

Great Ozzie
November 22nd, 2009, 19:40
Safely Released the Baton at Allahabad Bamrauli :india: (VIAL)

With visibility 1sm in Haze, the SirGalahad "NDB Approach-On-A-Napkin" was nice to have.

Great Ozzie
November 22nd, 2009, 20:07
Two pics enroute to Allahabad / VIAL

● Indian Sunrise... lots of haze below.
● Final to Rwy 12 VIAL off the made-up NDB Approach... VASI and Rwy Threshold lights are barely visible.

● A Goose Racing to Greet the Sun (over Romania?).

● Landing Quetta :pakistan: (OPQT) Altimeter is off just 3100+ feet. And I am not quite comfortable with the PAPI at this point either.

EasyEd
November 22nd, 2009, 20:34
Hey All,

Rob that cooling system - you been watching WAY TOO MUCH RedGreen! :icon_lol:

-Ed-

Dangerousdave26
November 23rd, 2009, 14:19
Hi Dave...
Are you referring to slightly exceeding Vne (or I guess too bumping up against Vne)? In testing, I found it very easy to overspeed (crash) the Goose when descending below 5000' or so...

But the identical flight minutes after that crashed one, I (Max KIAS) was actually faster, and the 2nd on the 18th, Max KIAS nearly identical to the crashed speed. All roughly middle of the yellow arc.

I'm thinking it had more to do with a supposed Baton Time of 23hrs 30min. (Also, there was "fluke" during my pre-flight with ASA and FSX that I ignored before that doomed flight, which I won't if it ever occurs again).

Actually for me is was an aircraft overstressed in level flight.

Situation was a flight in Alaska I was running it wide open (in classic RTWR style) and it got very bumpy before the start of the descent. I hit one too many little bounces and it over stressed.

It probably would not have done that if I was not riding the limits for so long.

Great Ozzie
November 24th, 2009, 15:14
Taking the Baton from Allahabad Bamrauli :india: to Coco Island :myanmar: (VIAL-VYCI)

Either what you said Dave, or my gut feeling about flying the Goose in the yellow arc (or both :p: ) has me backing off to treat the top of the green/beginning of the yellow arc as red line. I tell myself if turbine engines were hung on it, Vne would be the top of the green arc anyway... so what's a few knots to keep the thing in one piece. :icon_lol:

Great Ozzie
November 24th, 2009, 19:59
Safely Released the Baton at Coco Island :myanmar: (VYCI)

Vicious
November 25th, 2009, 07:51
Good goin Rob. Sorry I haven't been able to help out, but I've been busy over the last few weeks. Maybe I'll have more time the next race...(Wishful thinking).

Great Ozzie
November 26th, 2009, 14:25
Taking the Baton from Coco Island :myanmar: to Seletar, Singapore :singapore: (VYCI-WSSL)

Great Ozzie
November 26th, 2009, 19:28
Safely Released the Baton at Seletar, Singapore :singapore: (WSSL)

Great Ozzie
November 28th, 2009, 13:21
Taking the Baton from Seletar, Singapore :singapore: to Sultan Hasanuddin Intl, Makassar, South Sulawesi :indonesia: (WSSL-WAAA)

Great Ozzie
November 28th, 2009, 18:58
The Goose Safely Down at Sultan Hasanuddin Intl, Makassar, South Sulawesi :indonesia: (WSSL-WAAA)

(btw Tom... understood, no problemo, although certainly wish you were available.)

Great Ozzie
November 30th, 2009, 12:27
Taking the Baton from Sultan Hasanuddin Intl, Makassar, South Sulawesi :indonesia: to Darwin Intl. :australia: (WAAA-YPDN)

Great Ozzie
November 30th, 2009, 17:02
The Goose has Landed at Darwin Intl. :australia: (YPDN)

Great Ozzie
November 30th, 2009, 17:26
Taking the Baton From Darwin Intl. NT :australia: to Charleville, QLD :australia: (YPDN-YBCV)

MM
November 30th, 2009, 18:37
Gosh, that Goose is making fast tracks for the Windsor!:running:

Bry Rosier
November 30th, 2009, 21:00
Good Luck Rob , you must be soooo tired :)

EasyEd
November 30th, 2009, 21:30
Hey All,

Way to go Rob! I been watching on the tracker - looks like headwinds are holding you up. If you keep on to Melbourne after this leg - remember what happened to those two Northwest Airline pilots - FAA may pull your FS license. :mixedsmi: Good Luck whatever you do.

-Ed-

Great Ozzie
November 30th, 2009, 22:07
Gosh, that Goose is making fast tracks for the Windsor!:running:
:d

Good Luck Rob , you must be soooo tired :)
About an hour and a half ago I thought about going to sleep and having the alarm get me up 1 hr prior to landing. :bump:

But not now... am up for the duration :icon_eek:

Hey All,

Way to go Rob! I been watching on the tracker - looks like headwinds are holding you up. If you keep on to Melbourne after this leg - remember what happened to those two Northwest Airline pilots - FAA may pull your FS license. :mixedsmi: Good Luck whatever you do.

-Ed-
Thanks! Yes, the winds are no longer favorable. :frown: Mandatory Rest Requirement after this leg. I'd only lose my license now if I did something nutty like go flying for real and let the Goose overshoot Charleville. :p:

There's supposed be, ehem, another pilot at Charlesville, ehem ehem, to bring the Goose into Melbourne.

Btw about the A/C cooling... some nut had talked about it on like XtremeSystems forums... My original intent was to put the Evaporator in an Ice Chest filled with Prestone Antifreeze and cool the Dual Cpus that way ( Drewmeister A/C to Chiller Conversion (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=101902) ) but everything on that Intel D5400XS motherboard runs hot when oc'd... cpus/memory/voltage regs./northbridge/southbridge and my video card loves the cool too, so the a/c solution seemed "the right path." Plus it filters the air so very, very little dust makes it inside the case. A bit noisy and I have to watch my room temp/humidity or it looks like the below pic. :p:

Very nice sunset just two hours out (as the Goose flies) from Charleville. Winds are near 90°, so not so "hostile" now.

Great Ozzie
December 1st, 2009, 00:22
Down Safe and Sound... the Baton Released at Charleville, QLD :australia: (YBCV)

Bry Rosier
December 1st, 2009, 09:22
Okay Team Avsim Goose departing on Final leg to YMEN Essendon after some superb flying by Rob :) Predicted time 3hrs 45 mins Departing 20:10 local for a night flight :)

EdGeneer
December 1st, 2009, 12:19
Best of luck!!! :running:

A nice tall cold beer awaits your arrival !!! :icon29:

Bry Rosier
December 1st, 2009, 13:15
Cheers Ed , Safe Arrival at Melbourne Essendon YMEN , nice last flight in a superb Aircraft , and inside 1 min for the precision :) about 47 secs over I think . Superb effort from Rob to get us here , I only played a small part :ernae: Beers in the Windsor................again :jump:

Bit Dark along the way so not much to see

Great Ozzie
December 1st, 2009, 13:32
"Quality" :ernae:

EdGeneer
December 1st, 2009, 14:54
Congratulations... !

Great job on under a minute estimate :)

Have a cold one on me, I bought a keg for everyone to enjoy :) :icon29:

MM
December 1st, 2009, 17:24
Excellent finale. And a superb overall flight. Well done.:icon29: