PDA

View Full Version : Who?

EasyEd
October 27th, 2008, 20:50
Hey All,

Who is this - other than being my 8th grade shop teacher which he was?

-Ed-

EasyEd
October 28th, 2008, 06:59
Hey All,

Hmm a clue or 2 about my shop teacher.

1) first to qualify at over 200 mph at Indy
2) won the Indy 500
3) best NASCAR finish 8th in the Daytona 500

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
October 28th, 2008, 08:42
Interesting that you had "The Gas Man" as a your shop teacher...

EasyEd
October 28th, 2008, 16:46
Hey All,

Yes I did Panther he then moved on to be a principal and then on to Indy. Quite the guy quite the driver.

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
October 28th, 2008, 16:55
If memory serves correct...
It was Sam Posey who used to go on and on about him being a principle...

wombat666
October 28th, 2008, 21:57
Just a quick stab in the dark .......... nicknamed 'Snively'??
:kilroy:

EasyEd
October 29th, 2008, 20:34
Hey All,

Wombat I don't know of a nickname snively for the gas man. Suffice to say the gas man was one heck of driver - a huge fan favorite because of his independent mind and hard charging ways and cursed with some real bad luck. He was at his best in a subpar car just like Dale and that is why I always liked him as a driver and as a person because of his spirit and independence and he was my shop teacher. :d Of course at the time I was so young I was pretty clueless - don't have that excuse anymore! :costumes:

-Ed-

PS His brother was a good driver and was a one time rookie of the year in the Indy 500.

wombat666
October 30th, 2008, 10:04
Like I said Ed, I'm working from memory ........ the face looks very much like Tom Sneva to me, who was dubbed 'Snively' by one of my old FF1600 sparring partners, Ron Baderly (father of golfer Aaron), when Ron was on Sneva's crew.
Ron has only ever had good things to say about Tom Sneva, both on and off the track.
IIRC correctly, and I'm probably not, Tom Sneva drove a white March 82 in the early 1980s under the banner off 'Texaco Star', a right pretty race car and pretty damn quick with Snively at the helm.
:applause: