PDA

View Full Version : Highland Dead-Stick Take-off.

Cazzie
November 12th, 2009, 17:09
Scariest thing I have ever seen from an airplane!

z985xdXW-3w

GT182
November 12th, 2009, 17:16
I'd say he's not wrapped too tight. :isadizzy: Could have been a case of Dumb A**. But then again, ya can't fix stupid.

Tylerb59
November 12th, 2009, 17:41
His videos are incredible. A bit more risky then I'd ever want to participate, but boy does it make me want to buy a Highlander (impressive!).

Flying circuits in a 172 just isn't the same. :)

Dain Arns
November 12th, 2009, 17:58
Well, they are always looking for more "winners" at the Darwin Awards...

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/

OBIO
November 12th, 2009, 18:32
I attempted something similar once...well not really all that similar but equally as dumb. I jumped off the roof of our house, attempting to do a dead stick landing on my feet. I stalled about half way through the flight, went into a flat spin and slammed head first into the ground. Luckily, the frog in my pocket survived the incident without a scratch. I, on the other hand, received a cheap metal plate across the front of my skull....comes in handy when I need someplace to store those extra refrigerator magnets.

OBIO

cheezyflier
November 12th, 2009, 18:53
I attempted something similar once...well not really all that similar but equally as dumb. I jumped off the roof of our house, attempting to do a dead stick landing on my feet. I stalled about half way through the flight, went into a flat spin and slammed head first into the ground. Luckily, the frog in my pocket survived the incident without a scratch. I, on the other hand, received a cheap metal plate across the front of my skull....comes in handy when I need someplace to store those extra refrigerator magnets.

OBIO

:icon_lol: your childhood sounds alot like mine, except i wasn't lucky enough to get the magnet keeper forehead option. i was suspended from school in the first grade for jumping out the window one day. :pop4::isadizzy:

tigisfat
November 12th, 2009, 19:46
How si this guy dumb? Shall the fun police come and take all of our rights away? The way I see it; this guy has his own plane and only put himself at risk. What's the harm in that? This is somehting he really enjoys, and in an airplane like this you're not likely to get yourself killed. The risks are minimal and hazards contained to only him.

Is every hang glider pilot a moron?

Lionheart
November 12th, 2009, 20:32
Gliding a plane.. Very good practice for real engine outs..

Guy calculates pretty good.

(Ive seen this one before a few times).

Whats really freaky is how he can land on the tip top of a mountain, and turn around without getting out, lolol.. That is the scary part.

Bill

OBIO
November 12th, 2009, 20:56
I have watched several of this guys videos...he is not dumb at all. He has a plane that is designed and built for the kind of flying he does, he obviously has mad piloting skills, knows what his plane can and can not do. He has honed his flying style through tons of practice. The fact that he is alive, that his plane is still in one piece..clearly shows that he and his plane are both capable of pulling off the stunts that he does. Heck, there are many pilots in Alaska and British Columbia doing similar type of flying for a living...and we call them Bush Pilots.

OBIO

Lionheart
November 12th, 2009, 22:33
I have watched several of this guys videos...he is not dumb at all. He has a plane that is designed and built for the kind of flying he does, he obviously has mad piloting skills, knows what his plane can and can not do. He has honed his flying style through tons of practice. The fact that he is alive, that his plane is still in one piece..clearly shows that he and his plane are both capable of pulling off the stunts that he does. Heck, there are many pilots in Alaska and British Columbia doing similar type of flying for a living...and we call them Bush Pilots.

OBIO

Yep....

What about those guys that do the wild stunts at airshows?

;)

Some wild movies...

I cant watch the ones where he turns around on top of a sharply pointed mountain. Wheoooooowww...

stansdds
November 13th, 2009, 02:12
I am reminded of this aviation adage. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are not old, bold pilots.

kilo delta
November 13th, 2009, 02:23
I've seen those clips before,too. Whilst I wouldn't go as far as to say he's stupid to Darwinian proportions ....he ain't exactly over clever neither. I believe in this clip it shows how he clipped a large rock on his take-off roll? Supposing this caused his a/c to tip over...or he caught a wheel in a rabbit hole etc and tip's the a/c? If he winds up being injured he will put rescue services at risk too.

TeaSea
November 13th, 2009, 14:16
This is why my airplane insurance is so high.....

GT182
November 13th, 2009, 18:05
I am reminded of this aviation adage. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.

Exactly.

Panther_99FS
November 13th, 2009, 18:11
If he had 0 pounds fuel, and the wind was in his favor, was it really that difficult?

TeaSea
November 14th, 2009, 05:18
Nope, it's not difficult....until it's difficult.

Then it's REAL difficult.

GT182
November 14th, 2009, 06:03
Nope, it's not difficult....until it's difficult.

Then it's REAL difficult.

You forgot to add deadly. ;) Do you remember what the glide characteristics of a brick are? It also applies to airplanes in any shape or form. ;)