PDA

View Full Version : Devildog, my enthusiasm got the better of me...

Rami
November 12th, 2009, 15:42
Devildog73,

I had a little fun with mission 62 and moved Monte Cassino up to the top of the hill. To make it seem more like a monastery, I used Xavierb's multi-level forts in addition to the Med houses, making it look more like a fortress.

Here are some pics...I hope you don't mind. :redf:

Devildog73
November 13th, 2009, 08:49
Rami, Buddy, You amaze me!

:monkies:

I am in awe of you and your creativity. THAT is exactly what I wanted back when I asked to have the Monte Cassino built.

BTW, that was a very well built structure. It took massive amounts of ordinance dropped from the sky to damage it. The German forces held out there until it was utterly, but not completely, destroyed.

:jump::wiggle::jump:

Devildog73
November 13th, 2009, 08:51
Now we just need Kelticheart to take a look at it and offer his views on it.........

R C CAWTE
November 13th, 2009, 10:53
Hey Rami.Do you remember the old "Navarone" set up by Rockster.Didnt that have a castle or something like it?
Maybe you could use that?

Rami
November 13th, 2009, 11:31
Richard,

Got a link? I can always experiment.

Devildog,

Thanks, I appreciate the support.

Jagdflieger
November 13th, 2009, 13:59
Rami,

When you have a minute, can you zip up the layout file and attach it to a post?

Rami
November 13th, 2009, 14:09
Sure!

Any tweaking would be appreciated. This is still in development, so there's room for experimentation.

Jag and others,

This is what the peak looks like bare, so you can see how little room there is to work with.

erufle
November 14th, 2009, 00:50
Well now just how cool is all this! Everything shows up in CFS2 sooner or later.

Devildog73
November 14th, 2009, 02:50
Here she is:

Check this site out. The link didn't save........

Devildog73
November 14th, 2009, 02:59
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/monte-cassino-monastery.htm (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/monte-cassino-monastery.htm&h=245&w=350&sz=83&tbnid=C-bP2TlVFWHpCM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmonte%2Bcassino&hl=en&usg=__4cUqR4BY_pSCZLjWc4dZg7UsJt4=&ei=UJn-SuDZKsfRlAed34yYCw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=8&ct=image&ved=0CCYQ9QEwBw)

Devildog73
November 14th, 2009, 03:06
Also, utube has a six part video on the battle.
our air guys dessimated it.
The Germans were not inside it until after the destruction and then held out to the last inside.

miamieagle
November 14th, 2009, 11:56
Thank you Rami!:ernae:

hewman100
November 15th, 2009, 04:14
WOW! That's great Rami!

Robert John
November 15th, 2009, 11:47
I started to build monti cassino with gmax done a lot of research got plans pics etc. a little beyond my expearence at the time but willing to give it another go if there is intrest for one large building.
In the last six months I have learnt to compile libraries and make lods.

Rami
November 15th, 2009, 12:39
Robert John,

I actually asked Jean Bomber. Why don't you see if the two of you can consolidate time and resources?

CrisGer
November 15th, 2009, 15:26
it would be great to have it, it was pivotal for that campaign and could be a great focus for some bomb run missions.

kelticheart
November 17th, 2009, 00:30
.....The Germans were not inside it until after the destruction and then held out to the last inside.

Hi, folks!

That was the sadness of the whole Montecassino campaign. Allied intelligence utterly failed to communicate the correct info to the Italian campaign commanders.

Montecassino was a monastery built in the early Middle Ages, some archaelogists hold, over the fundation of a an ancient pre-Roman temple dedicated to the Earth gods.

The Germans did not establish their defences inside the monastery up until it was a pile of rubble. Apparently, Field Marshal Kesselring did not want another argument with the Vatican. When the monastery was finally wiped out by yet another Allied aerial bombing, the rubble, now abandoned by the surviving monks and positioned high on top of the hill, became a natural easy-to-defend fortress. No clergy man had to be relocated, it was there abandoned and ready to be put to use.

So easy to defend that it cost dearly to the advancing Allied forces, which were swamped there for months, unable to conquer it without having to face frightening losses at each new attack.

This also had dire consequences in slowing considerably the Italian campaign and the freeing of the whole country. Probably WWII in Italy could have ended in 1944 without Montecassino.

Rami's idea of creating a Montecassino scenery using Xavierb's fortress objects is great, but it must be kept in mind it was a monastery and not a military building. The best thing would be designing it from scratch, which I think it should be easy to the many talented SOH members who created already fabolous addons. Just think of Brunosk's Malta!!

As I can see from Devildog's post, there is abundant info on the Net and great pics of Montecassino before and after the bombings.

This would be perfect: a dual scenery of Montecassino before and after the bombing with all the action taking place around the destroyed monastery.

Cheers!
KH :ernae:

Devildog73
November 17th, 2009, 15:51
Yes, we know the date of the destruction by the heavy bombers, so we can use the proper monte cassino for the Tuskegee campaign bombing runs. It has been a while since I read the book, so I am not remembering the actual details. I think they were bombing German positions around the monastery before the destruction. Then maybe the ruins themselves afterward.

Sorry, I am so involved with Bong and McGuire that the TA are foggy in my mind right now. :isadizzy: Got to go back and fly them again............