PDA

View Full Version : TV alert: PBS tonight at 8:00 EST

Cazzie
November 11th, 2009, 15:13
Secrets of the Dead: Airmen and the Headhunters

An American bomber crew during WW II is rescued by Dayak tribesmen.

Sounds interesting.

caz

David_L6
November 11th, 2009, 15:18
Thanks for the tip. I worked last night and have been watching the History Channel since I got up this afternoon. I'll watch LPB rather than watch the same programs for the 3rd or 4th time on the History Channel tonight.

PRB
November 11th, 2009, 17:11
Just finished watching this. A very interesting story. I will have to find that book “The Airmen and the Headhunters”. Did you notice the mention of the Australian Austers that flew the men out of that 300 foot (:eek:) bamboo airstrip? Cool. Had to take Dave Garwood’s beautiful Auster out for a spin (over Borneo, of course) after the show ended! Thanks for the HU, Cazzie.
:ernae:

Dain Arns
November 11th, 2009, 17:17
Thanks for the HU, would have forgotten about it! :kilroy:

Wow, that was good. Creepy, but good.

EDIT: Anyone else see the MAF Cessna 206 Stationair, "PK-MPX" based in Indonesia, parked in the background on some of the interviews? :applause:

Snuffy
November 12th, 2009, 03:09
I tried watching this ... but for some reason it didn't seem to be able to hold my attention long before I did the surfing thing.

I came back to it a couple times but still nothing.

I did catch the part about the construction of the bambo airfield and did hang around long enough to see how that went.

Otherwise, for me, I'm sorry guys, it was pretty much a sleeper.

Cazzie
November 12th, 2009, 04:20
I found it rather intriguing. Any of you remember the fictional movie with Nick Nolte, Farewell to the King? It followed the actual events of this almost to a tee, except the leader that allied all of the tribesmen was an American with a British sidekick. It was a stunning movie, highly recommended.

Yep caught the Stationaire Dain, also saw the L-3 they used to land in the filming. And the old Auster shots. Willy, it was very well put together, you should have stayed with it from beginning to end. The old girl that wrote it did her homework real good. :medals:

Caz

Helldiver
November 12th, 2009, 04:38
I read the book about three months ago. It really held my attention and I donated it to the Plum Island Airport library.
It was a thrill to see the actual survivors and the building of that unbelievable airstrip out of Bamboo. The Japanese were savage and went after the Airmen with a vengence. However a Dayak dart in the back put their shrunken heads up on a pole.