PDA

View Full Version : What was the name of the mail?

Helldiver
November 11th, 2009, 04:20
Maybe there's someone out there that will remember. During WWII we used to get mail from the E.T.O. that was photographed, reduced in size and I believe was telegraphed over to the states. It was the fore-runner of e-mails. Sort of.
I had a ton of them and unfortunatly they're all lost.
Does anybody out there remember these and what they were called? I thought that they were called V-Mail but my wife says I'm wrong.

Cazzie
November 11th, 2009, 04:24
Maybe there's someone out there that will remember. During WWII we used to get mail from the E.T.O. that was photographed, reduced in size and I believe was telegraphed over to the states. It was the fore-runner of e-mails. Sort of.
I had a ton of them and unfortunatly they're all lost.
Does anybody out there remember these and what they were called? I thought that they were called V-Mail but my wife says I'm wrong.

You need to rap the wife's twinkie HD, it was V-mail, stood for Victory Mail, read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-mail

Caz

Helldiver
November 11th, 2009, 04:51
That's one for our side. Thanks for supporting me. The older I get the fewer battles I win. It's hard as hell to remember what happened sixty five years ago.
I believe that after a period of time they would turn black and that's the reason they were not kept.
It said that it was sent by microfilm but as I remember they also sent it by teletype, because I recieved things written just a few days previous.

Pauke! Pauke!
November 11th, 2009, 08:08
The guys and gals overseas were getting V-Discs to keep up morale. Nice to have some music from home as you read your mail.

xjAjqGPLX20

U9EKpvdLwFo

LqBbj62qG8c

UuZos0JugsU

lztEr3LwKn8

J0mAXKWpknM

DUF52kJtL3k