PDA

View Full Version : Fatal crash update......and video

luckydog
November 10th, 2009, 20:30
When my brother called me last Sunday to tell me about Carlos, he was really shook up. Not only has my bro been maintaining Carlos' aircraft for several years but Carlos was a good friend who visited the hanger almost daily. We'd sit and watch the sun go down and talk about airplanes over a cold one.
I called my bro tonite to see how he was holding out...
today the NTSB visited him ( the guy's name was also Carlos :isadizzy: ).
The crash sight - small pieces spread over a large area - indicated that the plane broke up at altitude ( see video). Carlos had requested vectors around a thunderstorm at 9'000 and started his turn.....the next radar ping put him at 8'000 and then they lost him.
The NTSB is thinking vertigo.
They never found the right side yoke ( can you imagine the forces that took that out !!
Carlos had had his instrument rating for about a year.......
although having many hours in an old 1950's Bonanza V-tail, he'd only flown his new ( to him ) 1991 Bonanza A36 for about 5 hours.

I hate to say it, but I think it boils down to poor judgement .

http://www.ksat.com/news/21566457/detail.html

Carlos' new A36:

Cazzie
November 11th, 2009, 03:02
LD, it's tough mate. I have to agree, poor judgment, don't fly in stormy weather, period. At least that's my rule of thumb. I will not even fly if the wind is above 15 knots. But then I am a recreational flyer and have those options.

Thunderstorms are wicked, I've only flown in serious storms once, never again.

Caz

Dain Arns
November 11th, 2009, 07:55
It happens no matter how skilled a pilot. Bad weather just like this claimed one of our early test pilots, Scott Crossfield back in 2006...

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/192130-1.html

Sounds like your friend recognized the danger, but maybe it was too late. Nature has a tendency to remind us it's full power from time to time. We get complacent and forget. :kilroy: