PDA

View Full Version : 'Are People Who Play These Games The Same As Combat Flight Simmers?'

Panther_99FS
November 10th, 2009, 17:16
http://features.csmonitor.com/economyrebuild/2009/11/10/is-modern-warfare-2-killing-office-productivity/

MCDesigns
November 10th, 2009, 17:54
First person shooters, or in my case, "tactical shooters" are my fav to play. I have more fond memories from playing in Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6, GRAW, BF2, COD and others than I do FS. I can "get into" a FPS game easier than I can a modern combat flight sim like LOMAC, Blackshark, etc, different difficulty levels and controls.

Snuffy
November 11th, 2009, 03:12
Missing work to play computer games isn't just for flight simmers or in this case FPSers. I know at least a hundred people that miss work and call in sick and some have even lost their jobs over skipping work to play a new/updated computer game.

Its an addiction and some people get it real real bad.

(I confess, I have been known on an occasion or two to call in sick when I wasn't, because I extended my time on a computer game ... :sleep:)

FengZ
November 11th, 2009, 04:11
i've fired two employees before for playing way too much WoW. I gave them so many changes too. But they always show up to work late, and be dead tired and basically sleeping all day long. They said they stay up every night till 5 or 6am playing WoW....crazy. And one of them was really talented too...but just addicted to this game like it was a drug. Even at work he wasn't working....just checking on forums under his Clan or whatever they call it... guilds?

-feng

TeaSea
November 11th, 2009, 04:35
I'm a firm believer that certain people have addictive personalities in which they absolutely become obsessive about activities or things.

That can be a positive, or a negative depending on the activity.

I think I'm one of these, which is why I occasionally check myself on certain pastimes. For instance...I absolutely REFUSE to get into Terran Conflict 3, even after reading the long running thread on it...It looks just TOO fascinating.

I would never emerge.

Cazzie
November 11th, 2009, 04:42
i've fired two employees before for playing way too much WoW. I gave them so many changes too. But they always show up to work late, and be dead tired and basically sleeping all day long. They said they stay up every night till 5 or 6am playing WoW....crazy. And one of them was really talented too...but just addicted to this game like it was a drug. Even at work he wasn't working....just checking on forums under his Clan or whatever they call it... guilds?

-feng

I refuse to even let my youngest son get the game. I have friends that play aWoW all their waking lives, they're zombies. The game must have some addictive factor. I have watched friends play it, I want to say "get a life". Makes me yawn. Of course FS9 and FSX would make them yawn, but I'm just saying.

Caz

Dain Arns
November 11th, 2009, 07:43
EverQuest, made by Sony, which really started the whole "Skinner Box" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber) type of MMO's. (Massive Multiplayer Online). WoW too is designed to be highly addictive. I see people that just can not stop playing it as well. I think it feeds more of the gambling type addiction. "If I play in this special dungeon instance one more time, I might get lucky and get that special item at the end this time". Rat hitting the feeder bar one more time.

Odie
November 11th, 2009, 08:15
My son works at OfficeMax which is next door to Best Buy said that BB was having a midnight release of the latest CTD:MW game. He plays WoW, not heavily, but he does enjoy it when he's not working.

He kinda pooh-poohed those that would stand in line at midnight for a game release. I had to remind him that when Diablo 3 comes out (one of our favorite RPG series), he'll most likely be one of THOSE people standing at line at midnight ! He didn't disagree. :icon_lol:

Twenty years ago, I would stay up till 4 in the morning playing DOOM & Diablo with 2 other guys that I worked with and then get 4 hours sleep and go into work. That was 20 years ago and now sleep is much more important !

I cut my gaming teeth on Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, DOOM 2, Duke Nukem, and a dozen other FPS before I got into flight simming. Now, flight simming logs most of my PC time.

cheezyflier
November 11th, 2009, 10:01
Rat hitting the feeder bar one more time.

awesome analogy :applause: that's why i missed having you around here.
no way to say it any better than that.

i have a buddy back home i've known for 20 years. we don't talk anymore because of his addiction to unreal tournament. he doesn't answer the phone, or email, or go out anymore. just work, and play unreal, and do coke.