PDA

View Full Version : Sea Shepherd's New Boat attn. Wombat_666

viking3
November 10th, 2009, 14:04
Things are going high-tech out on the Southern oceans this season.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2009/11/09/anti-whalers-sea-shepherd-buy-record-holding-powerboat.aspx

Seems the Japanese whaling fleet will have their work cut out for them. All I can say is I hope no one get's hurt and that Paul keeps up the good fight!:a1310:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

cheezyflier
November 10th, 2009, 14:48
wow! i didn't know they lost the farley! i hope they have continued success, and that things go their way without interference.
not everyone has the guts that they do.
i hope that God watches over them, and gives them favor.

Lionheart
November 10th, 2009, 15:21
That is one wild looking boat! At first glance, I thought it was the Bat Boat from a Batman Movie..

Bill

Wing_Z
November 10th, 2009, 20:05
Kiwi boat, sure is wild!

Someone said: "This seems like buying a Lamborghini to deliver the mail!" and you do have to wonder what kind of image they are projecting there...

Blackbird686
November 11th, 2009, 04:13
If it will help to stop the senseless killing of whales in a "designated whale sanctuary" as Capt. Watson puts it... then I'm all for it. :applause::applause::applause:

BB686:USA-flag:

wombat666
November 12th, 2009, 01:36
I'm an active member FWIW, and I can say with certainty that the 'Ady Gil' was 'donated' by a patron.
She cost the group nothing.
The idea behind acquiring such a craft is exactly as quoted, a fast interceptor capable of shadowing a target and directing the 'Steve Irwin' to the most advantageous rendezvous.
The whalers have always been given an unacceptable time window as the 'Irwin' is not fast enough to catch them before their fleet starts work, with a bit of luck she will be on top of them within an hour or less if projected course plotting works as we expect it to.

Cheezy, the Canadians 'confiscated' the 'Farley' several months ago, one of their really smart ideas as she was due for decommissioning right after the Seal Campaign.
They've been stuck with the cost of keeping her berthed, maintained and all the other costs involved in keeping such a craft tied up in a commercial port.
:173go1:
Wing Z, we really could care less about the 'image' thing, as you can see from the bulk of the knuckle-dragger's 'comments' under the report, Sea Shepherds are regarded as 'dangerous terrorists' by too many people.
FWIW, I really prefer 'committed conservationist' but I'll go with 'conservation terrorist' if that is what it takes.
:jump:

Prowler1111
November 12th, 2009, 04:49
Even as i´m with the whales on this one.....i dunno why it looks like it got disaster written all over, but if it helps, good..

Best regards
Prowler

PRB
November 12th, 2009, 06:28
Sometimnes, this place just scares me.

http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/347

Prowler1111
November 12th, 2009, 07:41
OK, after reading that link, i would like to point out some stuff:
I´ve been lucky enough to have a dad who is a Dr (pediatrician to be exact), just the kind of Dr´s that will search for a mosquito all over the world, which he did, carrying on his family, giving me the chance to be in exotic and sometimes very dangerous (late 70´s Africa, for instance) as a kid.Having said that, i got a point of view regarding natural resources explotaiton from different angles of the same prism.What for us is deemed as "salvage behavior" for some is everyday´s work, and for some, is just the only way to get an income ie food on the plate.NOW, when it comes to industrialization of our own planet resources (and i´ve been there as well since in the late 90´s early 00´s i did own a tuna canning plant)the point of view towards sea products differ a lot from country to country, mainly to those deemed 3rd world countries against 1st world.For instance, everybody weeps watching whale hunting, but have you ever witnessed shark carnage by chinese, japanese or southamerican fishermen? it´s more heart moving, but hell, who will give some money to save sharks (who can also eat you) instead of Shamu?Have anyone ever witnessed the TONS of accidental pelagic creatures dead in purse seining/trawling fishing?? but hell, who will give money to save a moray than a furry seal?
I cherish the intentions, i do think these guys do have some serious **lls to go after a whaling ship, but i do not condone some methods and i surely don´t buy the whole storefront up there for sale image wise.get real1 if you can rise money to buy a supersized toy, you can invest less than half that money in saving ocean resources the other way..and i´ll stop here or i´ll be banned for life from SOH if i keep typing.
Best regards
Prowler

Lionheart
November 12th, 2009, 11:03
I think that ship was donated to them. I think it will have a great use or place in the saving of the whales.

Someone has to go out there and protect them. This is just like in Africa. If we werent keeping poachers out of the game park habitats, we would be just about out of Elephants, tigers, and lions.. This is important..

I think also that Whales are an intelligent species, as intelligent as a form of mammal or being can be in that level of intelligence. They talk, sing, have a form of language and communication. They travel in heards. They show some signs of intelligence, and they are friendly.

Good to see some people will stand up to protect them from becoming a can of fish oil or shoes..

Bill

Wing_Z
November 12th, 2009, 11:19
Reading PRB's link is a little chilling - is that an FBI site?
Some of the other Activists are pretty colourful too.
It's a pity the stakes are getting upped, as more powerful interests get involved on both sides of the argument. (Pick your argument)

Does the means justify the end?
Some would argue if the outcome is a sustainable environment, so be it.

The danger is if one of these movements gets highjacked by truly bad guys who maybe are not quite as true to the cause.
And then there are the eco-mercenaries:
Ruckus looks to be one such group, who are essentially for hire to disrupt...whatever they are hired for.

Interesting times...perhaps national governments are going to become less relevant in future conflicts.

Marlin
November 12th, 2009, 14:17
The FBI already considers DevilDude666's (aka wombat666) organization as "ecoterrorists" AKA Terrorists

If those boneheads do something illegal toward the Japanese I hope they open fire on the terrorists and sink there new boat.

Don't get me wrong I'm for making sure that the whales are kept alive and healthy, but terrorist acts are no way to get your point across.

Cratermaker
November 12th, 2009, 14:20
Human life > whale life.

Slug Flyer
November 12th, 2009, 14:36
Caught the show on Animal Planet a couple of times. Just left me shaking my head. The Japanese whaling for "research purposes"? What a joke. The incompetent pseudo-pirates trying to stop them? Also a joke. I just hope no human beings get killed out there.

wombat666
November 13th, 2009, 03:08
The FBI already considers DevilDude666's (aka wombat666) organization as "ecoterrorists" AKA Terrorists
If those boneheads do something illegal toward the Japanese I hope they open fire on the terrorists and sink there new boat.
Don't get me wrong I'm for making sure that the whales are kept alive and healthy, but terrorist acts are no way to get your point across.

"We really could care less about the 'image' thing, as you can see from the bulk of the knuckle-dragger's 'comments' under the report, Sea Shepherds are regarded as 'dangerous terrorists' by too many people.
FWIW, I really prefer 'committed conservationist' but I'll go with 'conservation terrorist' if that is what it takes."

I rest my case.
:applause: