PDA

View Full Version : How much have ya spent on FSX so far

hey_moe
October 27th, 2008, 15:12
Well with all the new add-on planes and scenery,hardware,throttle and joysticks...I know we done maxed out our cards:costumes: what do ya think you done spent.....I know Eddie is well over 2 grand cus if it comes out he buys it..lol

Piglet
October 27th, 2008, 15:19
My last chunk of change was for my last system upgrade, new DuoCore, Mobo, memory. Had my controllers now for about four years. Only have one or two scenery add-ons. And my back-up external drive.
Built my first puter about ten years ago, been adding/upgrading ever since, so my expenses have been spread out over time.
Well I guess I should add in the plane making apps I have purchased, like AirWench, Corel Photopaint, etc.

harleyman
October 27th, 2008, 15:37
Way to much...And it appears I'm not quite done yet as my FSX ripples badly on my native resolution of 1600 X 1050..

So a new 24 inch with 1900 X 1200 is in the future after i test on my 27 inch LCD ..After my wife gives mine back that is...LOL

Oh..Sorry moe...You were looking for a number

Ummmmmm 2,5000 with add ons so far......:d

Panther_99FS
October 27th, 2008, 15:41
I'm suffering through FSX now...and hopefully I'll the major system upgrade for FSXI :mixedsmi:

DaveKDEN
October 27th, 2008, 15:42
Way to much...And it appears I'm not quite done yet as my FSX ripples badly on my native resolution of 1600 X 1050..

So a new 24 inch with 1900 X 1200 is in the future after i test on my 27 inch LCD ..After my wife gives mine back that is...LOL

Which monitor are you using now? I'm running a Samsung Syncmaster 2693HM (25.5" widescreen) and FSX both at a resolution of 1920x1200 with fantastic results. I'm convinced running FSX and your monitor at the highest and the same resolution gives the best results (so long as your video card can manage the highest setting).

CG_1976
October 27th, 2008, 15:43
Between upkeep of my main FSX comp and aerosoft and orbyx, captainsim to name a few probably spent about 900.00 so far. Thats a steal considering last year Fs9 costed me 2400.00:banghead: So going FSX fully has saved me some clams along with MoCat provideing Carribean scenery.

Sean Doran
October 27th, 2008, 15:45
First I bought FSX, then I bought the Alienware Area 51 puter to run it, than numerous addons, Ime well over $4000.00
:banghead::banghead:

kilo delta
October 27th, 2008, 15:47
I'm going to keep tight lipped on this one....just in case my missus reads this thread :kilroy: :costumes:

Bruce Thompson
October 27th, 2008, 15:54
"Loads a money" and I just sent for a new Antec 1200 Case, I think it will be me for a whippin this time:costumes::costumes:

hey_moe
October 27th, 2008, 15:55
I really hate to disappoint you guys....but I am over ten grand on the current system...when I told Linda I wanna replace the MB,CPU,memory and video card she said well that shouldn't be that much......I showed her the processor I been looking at (1400.00 ) she ain't talked to me in two days now...lol. She said I sick...what can I say...our health insurance doesn't cover geek issues:costumes:

heywooood
October 27th, 2008, 15:58
ouch!!!

10 large :kilroy: is big juju Moe...

I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to discuss my financial commitment to FSX on the grounds that the wife has no idea and in the interest of self-preservation (and the fear of death) I will remain more or less silent in this regard...if no other...cheers...:ernae:

kilo delta
October 27th, 2008, 16:02
Man....we need 128 bit encryption on this webpage in order to reveal the truth :d:isadizzy:

EDIT: btw, who in their right mind would pay 1400 for a chip? :173go1::kilroy::redf::costumes::costumes:

heywooood
October 27th, 2008, 16:04
hahah pure truth :applause:

eddie
October 27th, 2008, 16:09
Well with all the new add-on planes and scenery,hardware,throttle and joysticks...I know we done maxed out our cards:costumes: what do ya think you done spent.....I know Eddie is well over 2 grand cus if it comes out he buys it..lol

Which Eddie you talkin' about Moe, I don't even own FSX!!:costumes:

EgoR64
October 27th, 2008, 16:18
:wiggle:

A lot !!

Cheers !! :ernae:

harleyman
October 27th, 2008, 16:19
Which monitor are you using now? I'm running a Samsung Syncmaster 2693HM (25.5" widescreen) and FSX both at a resolution of 1920x1200 with fantastic results. I'm convinced running FSX and your monitor at the highest and the same resolution gives the best results (so long as your video card can manage the highest setting).

Now I'm using a 19 inch with a native of 1600 X 1060 at 60 Hz and its awful..Its not the monitor as I've tested on my wifes monitor which is an HP with the same resolution ans Hz

It boils down to needing a better monitor with a higher resolution of 1900 X 1200 @ 75Hz.......

My vid card is a 4870X2 which should be plenty........

I just hope thats the problem as I've RMAed so far the vid card , MoBo, HDD....Bought a different 22 inch LG that was also native at 1600X1050 and the same problem continued....

And a SOH expert has been dilligent with helping me and thats our conclusion.......He laughfs at me too......:173go1:

harleyman
October 27th, 2008, 16:43
I really hate to disappoint you guys....but I am over ten grand on the current system...when I told Linda I wanna replace the MB,CPU,memory and video card she said well that shouldn't be that much......I showed her the processor I been looking at (1400.00 ) she ain't talked to me in two days now...lol. She said I sick...what can I say...our health insurance doesn't cover geek issues:costumes:

I always said..." You just can't hide money" :costumes: :kilroy:

MudMarine
October 27th, 2008, 16:46
Plus the new computer I had to build to be able to run the pig.........plus addon's so New York didn't look like a sand box...........TOO MUCH!!

Pepere
October 27th, 2008, 16:58
I could have a second home with an ocean view.:icon_lol:

David

MCDesigns
October 27th, 2008, 17:00
I'm suffering through FSX now...and hopefully I'll the major system upgrade for FSXI :mixedsmi:

That's where I am now. I am planning and wanting to upgrade, but I am not going to spend my money till I am sure I can fly with my current settings with real weather. Seeing what others are experiencing, what their hardware is and what their settings are at, means I need to wait on new tech for that to happen.

As for addons, I haven't spent that much at all. Mostly getting addons from developers that need support due to being new, developing only for FSX or developing products I want that many tend to ignore commercially (helicopters).

Luckily, default FSX (and a few tweaks) delivers what I need for the moment to make for a good experience with the limited flight time I actually do have. I know once TongassX comes out I will get REAL frustrated not being able to use real weather :banghead:

jmig
October 27th, 2008, 17:04
I have never tried to keep up with how much I spend. It is easier to stay in a state of denial that way.
:costumes:

hey_moe
October 27th, 2008, 17:41
Da Eddie I am talking about you guys may know him by the name of Mr. Panther
Which Eddie you talkin' about Moe, I don't even own FSX!!:costumes:

DaveKDEN
October 27th, 2008, 17:42
Now I'm using a 19 inch with a native of 1600 X 1060 at 60 Hz and its awful..Its not the monitor as I've tested on my wifes monitor which is an HP with the same resolution ans Hz

It boils down to needing a better monitor with a higher resolution of 1900 X 1200 @ 75Hz.......

My vid card is a 4870X2 which should be plenty........

I just hope thats the problem as I've RMAed so far the vid card , MoBo, HDD....Bought a different 22 inch LG that was also native at 1600X1050 and the same problem continued....

And a SOH expert has been dilligent with helping me and thats our conclusion.......He laughfs at me too......:173go1:

Yep, I think you need to go to at least a 24" widescreen to support 1920x1200 resolution.

Don't know if you saw my post awhile back about the screen ratios of a widescreen computer monitor vs. a widescreen HDTV, but there's a slight difference between the two - 16x10 for a monitor vs. 16x9 for an HDTV. I discovered it quite by accident after already purchasing 2 widescreens (a 22" Dell - on my old computer, and this 25.5" Samsung). As a result, you get a small black bar on the top and bottom of the monitor when watching HD content designed for HDTV 16x9 screens.

hey_moe
October 27th, 2008, 17:43
:costumes::costumes:
I could have a second home with an ocean view.:icon_lol:

David

harleyman
October 27th, 2008, 18:20
If I don't soon quit spending I might loose my happy home....:costumes:

The wifes getting hostile...And If I get something new...You bet, she has to get it too even though she does not need it.....LOL:banghead:

Navy Chief
October 27th, 2008, 18:23
I probably have about 3K into my rig, not counting controllers, which would add approx. 500 more. Then there's the FS addons..... I don't have a figure. But I tell my wife, at least I don't drink or go out looking for action! She KNOWs where I am!

NC

pointy31
October 27th, 2008, 18:37
I have spent $1600 for a new computer, $49.00 for FSX Gold....The computer. An HP m9450f, has 8GB of RAM, 22 inch flat screen monitor, runs FSX just fine, AND I can still run FS9 ...imagine that. So far, Piglets creations are still freeware, so I'm not out any $$ for airplanes...:costumes:

Love that Mooney Mite, Tim...:ernae:

Marlin
October 27th, 2008, 19:37
Geez Moe, what a question to ask.

I don't keep track on purpose because the wife might hit me along the head or worse if I actually knew!

:tgun2: ":censored: RUUUUUUUUUUN" :mixedsmi:

icarus
October 27th, 2008, 19:59
she ain't talked to me in two days now

with some women sometimes it is a good news

smoores
October 27th, 2008, 22:11
By the time I get FSX working how I like it, FS XI will be out. Its happened to me the past 2 times with FS 8 and 9. I guess because I've enjoyed fiddling with my computer so much I haven't been able to buy add-ons. I bet I'm in the $1,000 range.

FLighT01
October 28th, 2008, 04:40
Way to much...

LOL, that's about right!!! And I run 2 complete rigs (1 XP and now, 1 Vista). I also spent way to much on FS9, (FS2002, and FS98 as well) and gave all the FS9 software (about 25 boxes) to a buddy to get him started in flight simming a little over a year ago. He's in and happy as a clam with FS9 (FSX crippled his less than a year old Dell but he gets a smooth 30 FPS in FS9).

1900 X 1200, once you get there, there's no going back. My new 26.5 Samsung 260HD LCD Monitor/TV does an okay job but not as good as my 24" Sony that's about 2.5 years old which gives a much more vivid / solid presentation. Maybe using Samsungs specific drivers & software, which I haven't installed yet (still using Vista's generic drivers) will help. If not I'm going to get the next iteration of the Hanspree 28" - which is what I wanted in the first place with my new system but couldn't find one anywhere locally in August or September.

A number: yeah, what he said, "way too much".

LOLOL, just reread this thread, it is one of the funniest I've read in some time, only a dedicated FSX'er would understand.

glennc
October 28th, 2008, 05:13
I don't count the cost of the hardware, except for controllers - I use the computer for too many other things. Besides, my wife is a flight attendant - gone half the time and doesn't see the bills. As much as I wish part of that wasn't true, it does have a couple benefits. If I have both hands on the X52, she counts that as "working" most of the time :wiggle:. How much have I spent? My FSX folder is is 43 gig, and FS9 another 48. Every time I think I'm not getting anything else for FS9 something like the MAAM-SIM TBF or the new F-86 come along. :banghead:

Glenn

limjack
October 28th, 2008, 06:03
Good job guys, keep spending the $$$$ and keep that recession out of our hobby!!! I too have spent my share and continue to take my extra dollars and buy things associated with FSX:applause:.

Jim

gera
October 28th, 2008, 06:19
Good job guys, keep spending the $$$$ and keep that recession out of our hobby!!! I too have spent my share and continue to take my extra dollars and buy things associated with FSX:applause:.

Jim

About US$ 2,500. For those thinking of a 24" monitor may I suggest 2 X 19"...its looks so great with extended view its really nice and with prices on these going down its a great deal...............:applause:

Cactuskid
October 28th, 2008, 06:39
Some of my friends think that I should be locked up in a closet somewhere for the amount of time and money that I've spent on this hobby. I haven't figured it out exactly (not sure I want to), but between the hardware and add-ons, I'm up over 4 grand, but ya know, at least for me, it was worth every dime for the amount of enjoyment I get out of this hobby! :mixedsmi:

wombat666
October 28th, 2008, 06:45
A$75.00 when FSX was on 'Special' and A$25.00 for the Acceleration Pack at the same time.
Sales had not been that good or so one of the 'Salespersons' informed me.
Other than that Nada, can't be bothered with installation yet, but at that price it was worth salting away.
:kilroy:

Captain Tenneal
October 28th, 2008, 06:55
I have never tried to keep up with how much I spend. It is easier to stay in a state of denial that way.

"state of denial" I always wanted to live there......

CodyValkyrie
October 28th, 2008, 07:11
Thankfully the money I have spent in FS has come back to me with the work I do. I still occassionally purchase addons from companies I haven't done work for or simply because I want to support further development so feel obligated to purchase. It all depends really...

Regardless, I would say I have broken even. Probably one of the few who can say that. The computer on the other hand..... I'll be taking it off on taxes.

casey jones
October 28th, 2008, 07:54
I spend very little, I just run FSX on my old pc, I just put in a new card in my other old PC for 89.00, all I run is CFS2, CFS3, FS8, and FS9...all I have paid for is the games themselves. I am sure MS sits back and laughs at everyone throwing money at their creation. I live on a fixed income and have little money to do that sort of thing, When FS11 comes out it will be the same thing over again, everyone will run to throw money at that one..it has been a vicious cycle for years so I just stay with what I can afford.

Cheers

Casey:wavey:

cheezyflier
October 28th, 2008, 12:47
I spend very little, I just run FSX on my old pc, I just put in a new card in my other old PC for 89.00, all I run is CFS2, CFS3, FS8, and FS9...all I have paid for is the games themselves. I am sure MS sits back and laughs at everyone throwing money at their creation. I live on a fixed income and have little money to do that sort of thing, When FS11 comes out it will be the same thing over again, everyone will run to throw money at that one..it has been a vicious cycle for years so I just stay with what I can afford.

Cheers

Casey:wavey:

that's pretty much my story too. i bought a graphics card because i didn't even have one before, and i upped the ram from 256 to 2G. i bought a saitek cyborg stick, and a couple of carenado planes, and one from maam.
for christmas i want to get a yoke, then, a little later, pedals for my birthday.

GT182
October 28th, 2008, 13:19
FSX has only cost, so far, for the intial setup and the Acceleration Pack.

So far I've only bought a 1GH memory graphics card for a system upgrade. Hopefully I plan on a DDR3 computer in the not too distant future. The only reason I haven't built an new computer now is the GTO. ;) Gotta let the dust settle over the rebuilt engine for a bit. :costumes:

Wiens
October 28th, 2008, 13:24
Well, my systems cost me only $

gmark
October 28th, 2008, 13:40
Well, since you asked...
About $1,200 on a new home-built system, $200 on the Saitek yoke and stuff hardware, and another $200 in software. I expect the latter to increase by another $200 over the next few months: Plum Island, Flight1 Mustang, maybe the C130, Falcon 4.0 FF, etc.
I did build a FreeTrack unit ($30) but I suspect that a TrackIR is in the future ($180 with LEDs). Net of $2,000 for something that will last a few years and can be used for other purposes.
Not too hatefull... :cost1:

Graham

harleyman
October 28th, 2008, 13:41
Well, my systems cost me only $

Hey...When ya got it spend it I say....LOL:d

MCDesigns
October 28th, 2008, 13:42
Thankfully the money I have spent in FS has come back to me with the work I do. I still occassionally purchase addons from companies I haven't done work for or simply because I want to support further development so feel obligated to purchase. It all depends really...

Regardless, I would say I have broken even. Probably one of the few who can say that. The computer on the other hand..... I'll be taking it off on taxes.

Isn't it cool to be able to say that. My outside FS design work bought me my current rig and most of my FS9 addons and is paying for my new one. Definitely gives you a different perspective on your hobbies, LOL

kilo delta
October 28th, 2008, 13:43
The only reason I haven't built an new computer now is the GTO. ;) Gotta let the dust settle over the rebuilt engine for a bit. :costumes:

You've got your priorities right......that is one SWEET machine! I used to enjoy restoring cars as a hobby too...mainly old VW's....still have the skint knuckles to show for it!:d

hey_moe
October 28th, 2008, 14:01
The number one thing here is it is a guy thing and da women just don't understand :mixedsmi:

kilo delta
October 28th, 2008, 14:38
The number one thing here is it is a guy thing and da women just don't know how much we've spent :mixedsmi:

lifejogger
October 28th, 2008, 17:05
I can't tell you because sometimes my wife checks out these forums and if she saw how much I would catch h###.

CodyValkyrie
October 28th, 2008, 19:08
Isn't it cool to be able to say that. My outside FS design work bought me my current rig and most of my FS9 addons and is paying for my new one. Definitely gives you a different perspective on your hobbies, LOL
Oh, indeed. I hope nobody takes it as bragging. I love my job, but I do indeed work full time in two jobs now. 18+ hour days are normal. It is nice to sit back and enjoy the sim from time to time, which I make every effort to do. Sometimes, you just need a break, ya'know?

harleyman
October 28th, 2008, 19:19
Oh, indeed. I hope nobody takes it as bragging. I love my job, but I do indeed work full time in two jobs now. 18+ hour days are normal. It is nice to sit back and enjoy the sim from time to time, which I make every effort to do. Sometimes, you just need a break, ya'know?

Well cody I never took it that way and don't really think others have eighter..... More like ,look at him,wish I could say that sort of deal..:costumes:

Personally I thrilled that your work in this field has afforded you those opportunities ....:applause: You worked for it so I say enjoy the fruits of your talents and labor....:wavey:

txnetcop
October 29th, 2008, 03:05
Ok, you want numbers...$1288.00 computer, $320 in software, and hour upon hour of fun.

One thing that I still have trouble understanding...I have always had to build a new computer to run the latest Flight Simulator products so I never understood why all the beefing about having to buy or build a new computer just to run FSX. The freeware is even a cut above anything I have seen on any previous MSFS and deserves a faster box.

Ted

Snuffy
October 29th, 2008, 03:25
I lost count ... :costumes:

Cazzie
October 29th, 2008, 04:09
Built new computer tower in July ($1,300.) . Needed it. Didn't get FSX until three weeks ago when a Wally World chum called me and he had purchased the Gold Edition for his cost at $30.00 for me. I bit! Since, I have added Ground Environment X - USA and Ultimate Terrain X - USA, plus all of the 9.6-meter DEM from FSGenesis. I have not purchased any payware aircraft thus far. I have all the uopdates, but love so many of my FS9 aircraft and the smooth frames rates with DX9, I never use DX10 Preview. FWIW, I have the new FSUIP 4.0 for FSX and song-of-a-gun if my AS 6.5 doesn't work in FSX too! For some strange reason, even though I use 888-8 32-bit textures for both FS9 and FSX planes, they are more resolute in FSX.

But uh-uh, I ain't telling ya about how much I got in FSX so far, Panther is prowling and he has cost me a fortune in FS9! :d

Caz

harleyman
October 29th, 2008, 05:41
Cazzie...If you go to their forums they clearly state that AS6.5 will run textures in FSX..they also advise that you redirect the AS6 install to a folder outside your Sim for the best results running them for both FSX and FS9...... It does work flawless too....:applause:

OK...I needed a new monitor for FSX it seems..More resolution and higher refresh rates.. So that meant the wife wanted one too..Of coarse she doesn't need it ,but has to have it cause I got one.....

The short of it all.....Add another 900 bucks into the mixture for two 24 inch monitors....:banghead::banghead:

David_L6
October 29th, 2008, 06:21
I haven't kept up with how much I've spent. I don't want to know. :redf: