PDA

View Full Version : Bry Rosier / Modern GA / Cirrus G2 Turbo

Bry Rosier
November 10th, 2009, 05:45
Winds look good to Start Modern GA in the Eaglesoft Cirrus G2 Turbo . Early morning start to Bratislava in Slovakia . EGUN - LZIB

Bry Rosier
November 10th, 2009, 07:35
Not the best start in the world :( Cruising along at 13,000 ft nearing dusseldorf and lost all Manifold pressure and throttles completely unresponsive , Engine was idling and I suspected Icing , but I had all ice protection on , initiated a dead stick approach to EDDL and a 5,000 ft engine spluttered back into life so decided to continue on . At 7,500 ft manifold pressure went again so descended and went for the Closest Airfeld Geilenkirchen AB ETNG . Had to circle alot to lose the altitude ,even though nigh on dead-stick with no throttles , the Cirrus is a good glider and landed sweet . Was very tempted to use the CAPS parachute ( those familiar with this A/C will know it ) but felt confident gliding to the runway :)

Well better get my tools out and have a look under the hood before thinking of continuing on ...

I imagine the RTWR duenna tracking will be most amusing :)

Bry Rosier
November 10th, 2009, 08:01
Well just had a look under the hood and found a broken wire on the Fuel Module heater . in reality i had unassigned the default "H" for carb heat , so nothing happened :) Quick test flight just for confirmation and should be good to continue :)

Bry Rosier
November 10th, 2009, 08:33
Test Flight satis , Permit to Fly signed and leaving for Romania (Traian Vuia ) LRTR from ETNG

epwatson
November 10th, 2009, 09:24
Well just had a look under the hood and found a broken wire on the Fuel Module heater . in reality i had unassigned the default "H" for carb heat , so nothing happened :) Quick test flight just for confirmation and should be good to continue :)

Why would unassigning carb heat have any effect on the plane? There is no carb heat on the cirrus as it is a fuel injected engine

Bry Rosier
November 10th, 2009, 09:36
Why would unassigning carb heat have any effect on the plane? There is no carb heat on the cirrus as it is a fuel injected engine

It`s still modelled into the Sim version . There is no panel switch for it but the effects are still modelled in as if it had a carb !

Take care Eamonn it definately does need the Carb heat in icing conditions . I need to use it right now :)

http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1307

Great Ozzie
November 10th, 2009, 10:25

Same same Eamonn for the Beech 58 in FSX and it's IO-520s...

The Alternate Air Intake is supposed to open automatically if the filter becomes obstructed on the real Baron. But there is atleast one mission you can fly to see that it doesn't: "Innsbruck Approach." I think there is a 2nd... "Resort Supply." And I am 99% sure (ages since I have flown those) turning on the so called "Carb Heat" restores power to the failing engine(s). Just another one of those "slight differences" in our FSX World. :p:

Bry Rosier
November 10th, 2009, 11:37
Safely arrived at LRTR . Funny old flight chasing "ghost" winds which disappeared as soon as I reached them :)

Bry Rosier
November 11th, 2009, 02:35
Heading down to Ankara , Turkey LRTR - LTAC

epwatson
November 11th, 2009, 03:34
It`s still modelled into the Sim version . There is no panel switch for it but the effects are still modelled in as if it had a carb !

Take care Eamonn it definately does need the Carb heat in icing conditions . I need to use it right now :)

http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1307

Okay, limitation of flightsim but does it have the same effect on the cirrus as say a cessna? does it lower your operating efficiency of the plane?

I have flown the cirrus quite a bit in FS9 mind you and have never experienced this, but nice to know. :)

Bry Rosier
November 11th, 2009, 03:47
I`ve not noticed any adverse effects from using it when not required ( The pilot in the eaglesoft thread selects it as part of pre-flight checks to make sure he doesn`t get caught out ) . But it instantly restores lost power when applied in these icing conditions :) I also tested turning it off during icing and immediately lose MP until reselected

This is my favourite GA plane and 100`s of hours flying around and it was also the first time I encountered the icing , which kind of shocked me in my leg:bump: I usually fly it low level Bush Flying across Aus and UK , first time she`s been up high :)

Bry Rosier
November 11th, 2009, 06:19
Pushed on a little further than planned because of good winds . Arrived safely at LTAU , Erkilet Ab . The flight was fine a bit of turbulence around Ankara , wild winds .

Need the comittee to take a look at the Duenna has it seems to have had a big fart along the way and did the old "co-ordinates reset" flash :mixedsmi: I imagine it was at this time that an erroneus IAS of 254 was generated . This girl will explode at 210 and at no time did I burst that barber pole . I have included the Flight Analysis also and the flight was tracked here

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=ISe0iDWCxsgrVmX0aozAubUD90U

I also managed to cover 6700 miles !!!! I wish

Moses03
November 11th, 2009, 06:32
Looks okay to me Bry. Similiar thing happened the last time I moved Jimmy Melrose along.

Bry Rosier
November 11th, 2009, 11:27
Cool :) Gonna push on down to Baghdad ORBI and rest up there . Aniticipate darkness on arrival , the nights draw in quickly there

Bry Rosier
November 11th, 2009, 14:15
Down and safe in Baghdad ORBI . A rather disappointing leg really . Active Sky X gave a good Tailwind component but FSX chose to ignore and thought it would be more fun to wreck this leg with a lovely Headwind . Oh well we arrived at Baghdad

Bry Rosier
November 12th, 2009, 02:52
Leaving Baghdad in the morning after a good nights rest . Heading down to OIBB

Bry Rosier
November 12th, 2009, 03:50
Got nice winds up here and may be able to make Jask , bit of a dilemma , If I lose the winds then .... eek :)

Bry Rosier
November 12th, 2009, 06:35
Safe arrival at OIZJ Jask . Generous winds allowed me to go for this airport . Have had a few problems these days with Active Sky and Met Charts giving me positive winds and FSX deciding it would be hilarious to throw the complete opposite at me for the entire leg but luckily today it behaved itself and winds were generally as predicted :)

Bry Rosier
November 16th, 2009, 09:49
Okay dokey , The winds say continue towards Allahabad so heading off , Jask - Jodphur OIZJ - VIJO on FSX using ASX for weather and REX2 for Effects . Dawn start

Bry Rosier
November 16th, 2009, 11:20
Diverted early to Turbat Intl OPTU so I can un-install Active Sky :isadizzy::pop4:

MM
November 16th, 2009, 11:30
Starting to have the same view.

It's remarkable how a sophisticated weather program can take good weather data from the net, massage it to create an excellent rendition of that real world weather and project along a flight path, and then generate just the opposite weather when it sends the parameters to FSX. Rather clever programming, by any standard. :rolleyes:

Bry Rosier
November 17th, 2009, 04:12
Leaving OPTU - VIJO using REX2 dynamic real-world weather , winds can only get better :)

Bry Rosier
November 17th, 2009, 06:32
Much better , Arrived safely at VIJO with winds similar to those expected :)

Bry Rosier
November 17th, 2009, 06:45
Duenna flight stats from previous leg and this leg showing a much closer depiction of winds as judged against local metar conditions :) Both weather flight planners showed winds similar to real winds map but depicted in FSX , REX was close but ASX was completely opposite for most of the time :) I appreciate the lack of weather stations in the area to pin down exact conditions .. Grumble over :) keep on :running:

Moses03
November 17th, 2009, 06:59
Wow, some of you guys are getting really scientific about wind conditions. I just fire up the engines and hope for the best on any given day.:engel016:

Bry Rosier
November 17th, 2009, 07:07
LOL Moses , I agree , I usually get in slam the throttles forward and take what I`m given , but this Modern run I`ve been trying to choose the best times and conditions to "go for it " This ASX - FSX thing has been annoying me a bit during this run and spoiling my enjoyment of my favourite hobby . Hopefully now :wiggle:

Bry Rosier
November 17th, 2009, 07:41
Going to push on to Allahabad VIAL ,next checkpoint

Bry Rosier
November 17th, 2009, 09:53
Arrived safe at foggy Allahabad :) I wonder if this fog has lifted at any time since I was last here weeks ago :) VIAL checkpoint reached

Bry Rosier
November 18th, 2009, 02:20
Time to leave Allahabad and head to Myanmar VIAL - VYTD (Thandwe) A very "Middle Earth" sounding name :) REX2 for the weather

Bry Rosier
November 18th, 2009, 06:03
Nice winds across India but copped a nasty headwind across the Bengal Bay causing fuel range to leave me 15 mins short of destination :( Hoped to arrive with plenty to spare ! Still a quick decision to land to land on a little Dirt strip on island of Manaung VYMN at night !! Couldn`t see the ground so totally relied on instruments and luck to touchdown , As it happened was very smooth :) And had a lovely Sunset along the way . Gonna spend the evening here and have a walkabout to find some fuel for the Cirrus and for me :)

Not sure why the Duenna graphic doesn`t show but you can see the flight here

http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=wbBfF3ol3Bm6xPLfkIwaWaIlwTM

MM
November 18th, 2009, 06:35
Always entertaining to run out of fuel while over the ocean. Something to remind us why there is a pilot in the left seat.

Well done on getting down safely onto the unlighted airstrip in the dark.

Bry Rosier
November 20th, 2009, 02:50
Time to leave this little island and push on south to Thailand , Going to try for Langkawi Intl WMKL , just in Malaysia or , with the unpredeictable winds around here , will stop in Phuket , along the way :)

Bry Rosier
November 20th, 2009, 06:02
Made good progress , did not know how the winds were going to be . Didn`t quite have the legs for Langkawi , so came in at Krabi VTSG as it was en-route , wanted to go to Phuket but not worth the small deviation .

Bry Rosier
November 21st, 2009, 10:05
Heading down to Singapore WSSL Selatar , REX2 for the weather

Bry Rosier
November 21st, 2009, 12:31
Safe arrival at WSSL , checkpoint 3 , Went on a strnge course chasing winds which I never really found , so I arrived a little behind schedule and missed MM :)

Bry Rosier
November 25th, 2009, 00:39
Leaving WSSL Singapore and heading over to Banjarmasin WAOO in FSX

Bry Rosier
November 25th, 2009, 03:47
Safe arrival at Banjarmasin WAOO . Nice easy dramaless flight , 3 mile vis for approach but felt lazy so came in on ILS :icon_lol:

The flight is logged here :- http://www.fsrtwrace.com/track/ShowFlight.php?detail=flight&value=do8VFzF1kUw6po7dYIvH3Lm05o

Bry Rosier
November 25th, 2009, 09:14
Further on toward Aus :) Heading to Saui WPDB

Bry Rosier
November 25th, 2009, 12:51
Safely arrived at Saui WPDB :) Spent most of the flight with my camera out the window photographing some lovely Storms which frequent this area :)

Bry Rosier
November 25th, 2009, 13:05
I feel the draw of Australia , not to mention the quality Beer :) you Continue to Darwin YPDN

Bry Rosier
November 25th, 2009, 14:53
Welcome to Australia :) Not far now . Safe arrival at YPDN Darwin . Quick flight with virtually no winds

Bry Rosier
November 28th, 2009, 00:40
Dawn Start to Mt Isa , fight those winds :)

Bry Rosier
November 28th, 2009, 03:52
Safely arrived at Mt Isa YBMA :) Very routine flight

Bry Rosier
November 28th, 2009, 04:03
Onwards to Charleville YBCV , hopefully penultimate leg :)

Bry Rosier
November 28th, 2009, 06:23
Arrived at Charleville YBCV :) Came in too high and hot for RWY 12 , trying to lose speed over the runway , Halfway down runway was threshold for RWY 18 so swung round to land on 18 instead of go-around :) Fun but not by the book :)

Bry Rosier
November 28th, 2009, 06:50
Last leg to Melbourne , Essendon YMEN , showing big Tailwinds so.... Precision / Hope time 2hrs 52 mins

MM
November 28th, 2009, 08:27
Good luck with the tailwinds!

Bry Rosier
November 28th, 2009, 10:02
Had a glimmer of hope of a good precision time until about 100 out when headwinds hit me . Had a very risky flat out descent to try to claw back time to no avail . But what a fantastic journey from the UK . Thanks to everyone for making this such a wonderful event .

Oh nearly forgot ...... Safe arrival at YMEN Essendon . :jump:
Time for some Tooheys with the lads in the Windsor :ernae::icon29:

Great Ozzie
November 28th, 2009, 10:22
Excellent Bry! Nice Plus those winds... Cheers! :ernae:

MM
November 28th, 2009, 10:26
Well done, Bry, bringing that Cirrus home. Top drawer.:icon29:

donlimpio
December 1st, 2009, 05:43
Great Job! Congrats and a beer!

mickj300
December 1st, 2009, 12:29
Well done Bry! Nice to see someone from my locale - I live between EGLL & EGKK and am learning to fly at EGTF!

Bry Rosier
December 1st, 2009, 13:31
Nice one Mick , I`m about 15 mins drive from Fairoaks , in Bagshot :)

EdGeneer
December 1st, 2009, 14:52
Congratulations!

Welcome to Melbourne. Modern style....

Have a cold one on me :) :icon29:

Spookster67
December 1st, 2009, 21:20
Nice work on the last flight Bry. When I looked at the live tracking you were on the outskirts of Melbourne with 10 mins to go, so I knew you'd be close to your precision time estimate. :applause:

Well done Bry! Nice to see someone from my locale - I live between EGLL & EGKK and am learning to fly at EGTF!
I'm also a former Surrey resident, having grown up and lived for 18 years in Ewell. Unfortunately my nearest airport now (Sheffield) was closed a couple of years ago, so I'll have to go farther afield if I ever get around to starting my PPL.