PDA

View Full Version : Neon Quickie

falcon409
November 9th, 2009, 16:13
Very early WIP. I was playing with different color combinations and tried the picture tube tool in PSP but it was hard to get a nice smooth line, so I tried something different and kinda like the direction.

N2056
November 9th, 2009, 16:19
Very cool! :icon29:

One note...in real life they are very specific that the base color needs to be white to prevent excessive thermal stresses to the airframe. Fortunately that is not modeled in FS so I am hoping to see some creations like this :d

falcon409
November 9th, 2009, 16:38
Very cool! :icon29:

One note...in real life they are very specific that the base color needs to be white to prevent excessive thermal stresses to the airframe. Fortunately that is not modeled in FS so I am hoping to see some creations like this :d
Yea, I redid a Velocity this past summer. Sanded it back to the original base coat and then a lot of fine sanding to smooth it all out again and then many layers of Imron and several coats of Clear coat and then wait for the customers approval, lol. The stipulation was that it had to be white (we used Matterhorn white) and any striping had to be done down the sides of the fuselage and nothing on the wing surfaces or anywhere where the sun could work it's magic and deteriorate the skin. I didn't realize why until I talked to Scott at Velocity and he explained why. Kinda limits what you can do design-wise.

falcon409
November 9th, 2009, 17:29
Wip:

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 08:28
I'm going to add a few more decals, but basically it's finished. Only problem I have is getting any sort of shine on this bird. No matter what percentage of alpha I apply it simply looks flat.

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 08:54
Added names to both side of the fuselage (pilot on left and designer/builder on the right) a few decals and it's ready to go.

Lionheart
November 10th, 2009, 09:09
Great paint scheme Ed!

:applause: :medals: :applause:

Very racey!

Bill

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 09:26
Great paint scheme Ed! Very racey!
Bill
Thanks Bill. You have a lot of insight into this sort of thing. . .any idea why I can't seem to get a nice shine on this bird? With the FS9 repaints, you simply added an alpha and that did it, but these FSX repaints have a specular and a bump layer sandwiched in with the actual paint layer.

Txmmy83
November 10th, 2009, 09:57
Nice Looking Paint:applause:
will try the paintkit in the next days

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 10:01
Thanks. . .working on another now:

Matt Wynn
November 10th, 2009, 11:13
looking good Ed:ernae:even though my FSX is down for the count am working on quite a few 'racey' and camouflaged ones :jump::jump: will start a thread shortly with images from MDLviewer which means you lot will be my eyes on the schemes making suggestions.....

Ed keep it up! :ernae::ernae:

Txmmy83
November 10th, 2009, 13:23
had no time to install yet
since i upgraded my Repaints board unfortunately old database wasn't compatible with the new version
very time consuming setup ;)

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 15:05
One more shot. . .hey Smoothie, why can't I get a nice shine on my repaints?

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 15:16
I've got three more I'm going to produce as well:

N2056
November 10th, 2009, 15:16
Ed, sorry for the delay...I check the forum here while at work on occasion, but I don't post at work.
Is this what you are trying to get?

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4551/2009111016103843.jpg

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 16:17
Hmm, well I guess. Is that as shiny as it gets? I was thinking more of a "I can see my face in it" kinda shine.

N2056
November 10th, 2009, 16:43
Sounds like you are looking for reflection...let me play with that and I'll get back to you :d

falcon409
November 10th, 2009, 17:47
Sounds like you are looking for reflection...let me play with that and I'll get back to you :d
Ok, thanks Robert. By the way, what's the scenery background in that pic?

Matt Wynn
November 11th, 2009, 03:02
yeah i tried the ultra shiny and specular transition effect the materials don't look like they allow that... hopefully there will be a fix for that, for camo it's great but for a showy bird... my trademark dark purple-green pearlescent look just transitions solid not gradiented like usual...

great work Ed keep it up :ernae:

falcon409
November 11th, 2009, 05:17
yeah i tried the ultra shiny and specular transition effect the materials don't look like they allow that... hopefully there will be a fix for that, for camo it's great but for a showy bird... my trademark dark purple-green pearlescent look just transitions solid not gradiented like usual...
great work Ed keep it up :ernae:
Yea, I tried a metalflake idea I had on the Neon livery and the only place it showed up was in the yellow circles, lol. Looked cool though.

N2056
November 11th, 2009, 06:13
Guys, I'm afraid I messed up on the material settings. :redface:
I will be working on an upgrade to add a couple of things, and that issue will be addressed then.

Matt Wynn
November 11th, 2009, 06:15
thanks, it's a great aircraft as it is this will take it well and truly above the bar, i think i speak for a lot of people when i say many thanks for this wonderful quirky bird :ernae:

falcon409
November 11th, 2009, 06:24
Yep, ditto on that Smoothie. Robert's given us a real treat with the "Quickie". I'm enjoying just as is, lol.

Some more WIP shots: