PDA

View Full Version : OT: London in 1927...in Color

Scratch
November 9th, 2009, 07:56
This is so cool. I've never seen a color film this old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwahIQz0o-M

foreigndevil
November 9th, 2009, 08:26
Yes, very nice! Thanks for the HU!

Bjoern
November 9th, 2009, 12:21
Wow, most interesting! :applause:

If you want even older color footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoDphKM7ZMA

Dain Arns
November 9th, 2009, 12:51
That's incredible to see, an actual color motion picture. I've seen still pics that used that process. You can see that each frame seemed to have it's own individual color level. Amazing it is about the same time that "Sound" was coming out for pictures as well. Moving pictures were definitely going through a technology revolution at that time. I think the Depression derailed some of those color advances until the late 30's. Thanks for sharing that!

Wow, most interesting! :applause:

If you want even older color footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoDphKM7ZMA

LOL, Eh, sorry. That's just black and white footage that's been colorized, not color film. It's a pet peeve of mine, I personally hate that process, I'm a purist. :icon_lol: I don't really like having a computer guessing what the colors "were". Thankfully, the enthusiasm for the colorization process seems to have faded over the past few years.

Bjoern
November 9th, 2009, 12:55
LOL, Eh, sorry. That's just black and white footage that's been colorized, not color film. It's a pet peeve of mine, I personally hate that process, I'm a purist. :icon_lol: I don't really like having a computer guessing what the colors "were". Thankfully, the enthusiasm for the colorization process seems to have faded over the past few years.

Hair splitter, lol. :kilroy: :d

Naismith
November 9th, 2009, 13:05
Interesting how in some of the scenes very little has changed.
I am feeling the need to go and buy me a flat cap now though. lol

spotlope
November 9th, 2009, 13:06
As I understand it, the colorizing process in this clip was originally done way back in the 1920's, using a proprietary system. At least it's "authentic" colorizing, as opposed to the full b&w to color conversions being done digitally nowadays. It always makes history seem a bit closer and more tactile to see it in full color, I think, and especially with such fluid motion.

Dain Arns
November 9th, 2009, 13:10
Hair splitter, lol. :kilroy: :d

LOL, no way. I have blame Ted Turner. If he hadn't announced a decade ago that he was going to colorize all the classic B&W movies, and "Make them better!" it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much. :icon_lol:

Dain Arns
November 9th, 2009, 13:18
As I understand it, the colorizing process in this clip was originally done way back in the 1920's, using a proprietary system. At least it's "authentic" colorizing, as opposed to the full b&w to color conversions being done digitally nowadays. It always makes history seem a bit closer and more tactile to see it in full color, I think, and especially with such fluid motion.

Yeah. The Friese-Greene process used red and blue. The way I understand it, it was like taking two separate films, one red, other blue, and merging them together. I think that why you see a lot of red and blue flashing in the film. It's unfortunate, that the inventor had passed away, in poverty, in 1921. I believe he never got to see the process in motion picture form, could be wrong.

ryanbatc
November 9th, 2009, 14:06
Very interesting, great find. Here's something else I found from WW2 era. Color photos of Germany at the time

http://saturnic.livejournal.com/174828.html

Prowler1111
November 9th, 2009, 14:35
The little girl at the Peter Pan statue should be now around 84-85 yrs old...
Makes you feel like you´re an alien watching movies of an old species long gone, most of the people in that footage is already gone...
Prowler

Dain Arns
November 9th, 2009, 14:37
The little girl at the Peter Pan statue should be now around 84-85 yrs old...
Makes you feel like you´re an alien watching movies of an old species long gone, most of the people in that footage is already gone...
Prowler

I was thinking more H.G. Wells, "Time Machine" at one point watching it. :kilroy:

Javis
November 9th, 2009, 18:07
Great find ! Thanks ! :applause:

Interesting to see a pre study 'moonwalk' at 7:52 later to be significantly modified by one M.Jackson.

Yeah. The Friese-Greene process used red and blue. The way I understand it, it was like taking two separate films, one red, other blue, and merging them together. I think that why you see a lot of red and blue flashing in the film

Reminds me of old school FS wizard Simon Hradecky who pioneered 3-dimensional display for Flight Simulation. He used red and blue too with his ATP! 3DAGS invention, based on Sub-Logic's ATP.

You'd wear one of these red and blue colored '3D glasses' , the result was already astounding in that it showed very clear what we are still sorely missing in Flight Simulation today.... Too bad it stayed with pioneering only.... Wonder what Simon is up to today... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Jan

Paul K
November 10th, 2009, 01:21
Ah! London in the day when you could find a policeman and the native language was English. The Empire had just about reached its zenith when that film was shot. Still a great city, but the capital of nothing much anymore.

Bjoern
November 10th, 2009, 13:06
Very interesting, great find. Here's something else I found from WW2 era. Color photos of Germany at the time

http://saturnic.livejournal.com/174828.html

Mostly of Germany, some from other parts of Europe.

Interesting impressions though.

lucas81
November 10th, 2009, 13:52
Simply awesome footage!

Regarding those photos, I know some of them, which were taken in Poland in October 1939.
This one is very interesting:
http://www.****themeat.com/foto2/naziincolor1/45.jpg

It is Okecie aerodrome in Warsaw, October 1939. It shows German soldier in front of the PZL.43, an export version of the PZL.23 "Karas" - light bomber/recon plane. This one was from the last batch of planes which shall be delivered to Bulgaria. The interesting thing is that this picture shows original Polish cammo palette. There are not many of them. And there are only two combat planes from here which survive the ww2 - both of them were repainted during the war.

Iam working in Polish History Museum. Year ago we were making an exhibition dedicated to Poland between 1918 and 1939. Accidentally, we found an incredible colour footage in Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC, depicting Jewish district in Warsaw, our capital city. It was taken just two months before WW2 and when we watched it for the first time, we started looking for our jaws. It was showing something what does not exist at the moment, something distant and what can never be brought back. Nothing like this survived here because of the WW2 and the communists, so we have to search for such a gems abroad.
Sorry for writing that folks. I usually get such memories when I see such a rare movie or pictures over the Internet. Please don't reply to my comment :)

Lucas