PDA

View Full Version : Marines Happy Birthday

Reddog
November 9th, 2009, 05:27
a day early but got this from a friend and wanted to share it.
The 234th Birthday Message
The 234th Birthday Message (YouTube Video) (http://newsletter.grunt.com/t.aspx?S=1&ID=833&NL=3&N=716&SI=136897&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dV7B icfc9dp0)
By Gen Jim Conway, Commandant of the Marine Corps<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Semper fi

MudMarine
November 9th, 2009, 06:03
Semper Fi, Brothers!!:USA-flag:

crashaz
November 9th, 2009, 07:12
Happy Birthday Devil Dogs!!!

rayrey10
November 9th, 2009, 07:24
Happy Birthday and Semper Fi, fellow Jarheads! :applause:

SSgt USMC :medals:
1991-2003

Crusader
November 9th, 2009, 09:18
Happy Birthday and Semper Fi fellow Marines !

Rich , USMC (65-69):USA-flag:

Craig Taylor
November 9th, 2009, 10:02
"Here's health to you and to our Corps, which we are proud to serve..." :icon29:

Cheers,
Craig
USMC '85 - '90

Panther_99FS
November 9th, 2009, 16:26
Semper Fi! :USA-flag:

Joe P
November 9th, 2009, 17:53
Happy Birthday fellow Devil Dogs! Ooh-Rah! :ernae:

Lionheart
November 9th, 2009, 19:25
Semper Fi Marines!

Hoooo Rah!

NCGent
November 9th, 2009, 19:48
Semper Fi fellow devil dogs

Snuffy
November 10th, 2009, 04:01
SEMPER FI!!!

Hooooorrrahh!!

:engel016: :USA-flag:

Chacha
November 10th, 2009, 04:06
Semper Fi ....! :USA-flag: :USA-flag: :USA-flag:

b24_witchcraft
November 10th, 2009, 06:53
Happy Birthday to the Marine Corps!! :medals::medals::medals::medals::medals::icon29:
Thanks to all veterans and current service members also for the freedoms we sometimes take for granted.

TARPSBird
November 10th, 2009, 08:26
Happy Birthday Marines!
This was passed to me by an old shipmate, I got a kick out of it.

General Wilson's Birthday Toast
On the occasion marking the birthday of the US Marine Corps, 1978, onboard Camp LeJeune and in the presence of several thousand Marines and their ladies, General Louis H. Wilson, Commandant of the Marine Corps, arose to deliver his long awaited address to the troops. He approached the rostrum, nodded to the CG's (Base, FSSG and Division) and proceeded to explain to the captive masses that he would be short on words that night - then turned to his bride, took a glass and, amid absolutely dead silence, offered this toast - and promptly sat down.

LOVE
THE WONDERFUL LOVE OF A BEAUTIFUL MAID,
THE LOVE OF A STAUNCH TRUE MAN,
THE LOVE OF A BABY, UNAFRAID,
HAVE EXISTED SINCE TIME BEGAN.

BUT THE GREATEST OF LOVES,
THE QUINTESSENCE OF LOVES,
EVEN GREATER THAN THAT OF A MOTHER,
IS THE TENDER, PASSIONATE, INFINITE LOVE,
OF ONE DRUNKEN MARINE FOR ANOTHER.

The whoopin' and hollerin' went on for a good ten minutes.

Reddog
November 10th, 2009, 10:41
Just got this from a friend and would like to share.

Happy Marine Corps Birthday # 234
10Nov09
On 10 November 1775, the Continental Congress of the United States passed a resolution authorizing “two battalions of Continental Marines for service as landing forces with the fleet”. The Marines’ first amphibious raid took place into the Bahamas in March 1776 under the command of Capt. (later Major) Samuel Nicholas. Nicholas, the first commissioned officer in the Continental Marines, is considered to be the first Marine Commandant.
In World War I, Marine pilots flew daytime bomber missions over France and Belgium. Marines earned the nickname “Teufelshunde,” or “Devil Dogs,” from the Germans at Belleau Wood near Paris because of the ferocity of their attack on the German lines.
More than 30,000 Marines served in France during WWI and more than a third were killed or wounded in six months of intense fighting.
During the two decades between World Wars I and II, the Marine Corps developed their amphibious raid capability, begun in the Bahamas in March 1776, into the doctrine, equipment and organization needed for conventional amphibious warfare. The success of this effort was proven first on Guadalcanal, then on Bougainville, Tarawa, New Britain, Kwajalein, Eniwetok, Saipan, Guam, Tinian, Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
The Marine Corps had grown to include six divisions, five air wings and supporting forces. Its strength in World War II peaked at 485,113. The war cost the Marines nearly 87,000 dead and wounded. Eighty-two Marines earned the Medal of Honor.
While Marine units took part in the post-war occupation of Japan and North China, a helicopter-enabled, Marine Corps “vertical envelopment capability” was developed and implemented.
Landing at Inchon, Korea in September 1950, Marines proved that the doctrine of amphibious assault was still viable and necessary. After the recapture of Seoul, the Marines advanced to the Chosin Reservoir where the Chinese Communist Forces entered the Korean War.
The Marines served in Korea until March 1955, suffering more than 25,000 Marines killed or wounded.
The landing of the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade at Da Nang in 1965 marked the beginning of large-scale Marine involvement in Vietnam. By the summer of 1968, after the enemy’s Tet Offensive, the Marine Corps’ strength in Vietnam rose to a peak of approximately 85,000.
The Marines’ deployment in Vietnam ended in June 1971. The Vietnam War exacted a high cost as well with more than 13,000 Marines killed and more than 88,000 wounded.
The largest deployment of Marine Corps forces since World War II was prompted by the first Gulf War starting in 1990. Between August 1990 and January 1991, more than 92,000 Marines were deployed to the Persian Gulf as part of Operation Desert Shield. Operation Desert Storm was launched Jan. 16, 1991, the day the air campaign began. The main land attack began on 24Feb1991 when the 1st and 2nd Marine Divisions breached the Iraqi defense lines and stormed into occupied Kuwait.
Soon after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C., Marine units deployed to the Arabian Sea and in November set up a forward operating base in southern Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Marine Corps units have distinguished themselves in many battles in both Afghanistan and Iraq, the largest of which were the two battles for Fallujah and the Surge in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Today, as the war in Iraq is reaching a lower intensity level, and the new emphasis is shifting to Afghanistan, the heavy lifting is once again increasingly on the Marines.
In their storied 234 years of service, U.S. Marines have responded to their Country’s call on many occasions, all with bravery and valor. Their achievements and sacrifices have been enormous, especially considering the relatively small size of the Marine Corps!
The Marine Motto, Semper Fidelis (in abbreviated version Semper Fi) or Always Faithful is embraced so seriously that never is a fallen comrade “left behind,” whatever it takes. Marines always “take care of their own” simply because “Once a Marine, always a Marine”. There is no such thing as an ex-Marine.
For these reasons, one can meet a lot of Marine veterans volunteering in veterans’ hospitals, serving the wounded soldiers and disabled, sick veterans.
May God safely guide home all who are actively serving our Country.
Happy Birthday Marines on this the 234th Birthday of our Corps.

Quicksand
November 10th, 2009, 13:45
I was eating supper at a diner in the midst of my travels thru OH yesterday, when a another patron, proudly wearing his USMC sweatshirt, saw my unit crest that I wear on my cap ( a little motivator when sleep is scarce and the miles are long.. ). He approached me and thanked me for my service. I asked when he had served, and he said " '65 til '71.." I could tell he had "been there" from the look in his eyes, and I told him that without HIS service, I might have never had the chance to serve. Some of the best troops who I ever had the privelige to serve with were (and this is coming from an old Dogface:mixedsmi:), were United States Marines.. Happy Birthday, USMC, and as my Marine buddies would say, "God bless you, Chesty Puller, wherever you are..." Hoooo Raaaa!:medals::medals::medals:

Quicksand
November 10th, 2009, 15:20
They don't call me the "thread killer" for nothing, huh? Come on, you guys.. We need to give the Marines who make up a part of our community a HUGE "thank you!" .................

Trans_23
November 10th, 2009, 16:15
My son will be returning from the Marines basic training in a few days. I know fly the US, Air Force, Army(daughter), and now the Marines flags.
Semper Fi !

eddie
November 11th, 2009, 09:21
Here are some Marines worth remembering on the Corps Birthday!!

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/fromcomments/317168.php

Semper Fi

'68-'72