PDA

View Full Version : Mountains And Tropical Land Class

dvslats
November 8th, 2009, 08:13
While snooping around at Flightsim.com I came across Aimé Leclercq's mountain and tropical land class textures for FSX. These look very impressive in the civil sim so I took a few sets and formatted the .bmps to ones CFS2 can render. Did the Rocks so far, plus the 1st set of the Tropical Pak. These look pretty good in the Grandpa sim IMHO. The lighter green in the background is Pactex.
Going to do the complete set later..post some more screenies. Could be a new set in textures to confuse us even further. :icon_lol:
Dave

sc7500
November 8th, 2009, 08:53
Wow

This fellow's reworking is AMAZING !

[http://sites.google.com/site/aimecreations/]

DV, have you considered asking if he'd tweak up a set for the CFS2 crowd ?

Might save you a ton of labor if he already has it "in the can".....

SC
:kilroy:

CrisGer
November 8th, 2009, 09:45
he does great work that would be awesome if he could do us a conversion.

miamieagle
November 9th, 2009, 04:48
Thank you regardless if you are successful or not!

dvslats
November 10th, 2009, 03:01
Wow

This fellow's reworking is AMAZING !

[http://sites.google.com/site/aimecreations/]

DV, have you considered asking if he'd tweak up a set for the CFS2 crowd ?

Might save you a ton of labor if he already has it "in the can".....

SC

Too late, they're already formatted. :icon_lol: Just have to rename the textures. Seriously though, since these are only trees and mountainous terrain I might have to do some custom ones to fill in the rest, or maybe add ones from packages already done SC.

he does great work that would be awesome if he could do us a conversion.

I have to agree with you CrisGer. These are some of the best freeware textures I've seen in a while.

Thank you regardless if you are successful or not!

Well miamieagle, I have sent off an e-mail to Aimé Leclercq to see if this conversion is ok by him. Time will tell.

Dave

rohan
November 10th, 2009, 04:50
dvslats,
I assume that you will only be reworking the Summer textures as they are all that Aimé has published so far. Or could we possibly hope that you (and / or Aimé) might do the other seasons for those of us who prefer the ETO (or even Russia) ?
regards,
Ro

dvslats
November 11th, 2009, 01:49
Hi rohan, I did see some fall textures by Aimé at flightsim. I have not downloaded those yet. I am assuming that it is possible he will cover all of the seasons. But that's just a guess.
Dave

dvslats
November 11th, 2009, 04:57
Today's progress. NNE of Port Moresby.

Devildog73
November 11th, 2009, 05:22
WOWSERS!!!!!!

I am working that area right now on my 39th FS missions. Pactex with rhumba's scenery is outstanding, but that looks almost real. :jump:

When I was flying though those valleys below losing that Oscar on my six a couple of days ago, I did not really watch the scenery, but went back in FF and just took it all in. I am excitedly awaiting your upload of those textures!

:medals::medals::medals:

dvslats
December 1st, 2009, 08:20
Greetings All, Guess what...Aimé Leclercq (Oscar) has given me the Ok to convert his freeware textures to CFS2 format. :applause:
Now I can proceed on this in earnest. His remake on the intermediate areas are still a work in progress, so the gaps are being filled in right now with some stock FSX textures.
I know it is a real departure from what we are use to seeing in this ol' sim, but they have a way of growing on you. A deeper tone jungle feel if you know what I mean.
Still have to clear up the naming/numbering of the landclass, but fortunately there is Pen's texture guide for a good reference.
A pic to give you an idea what the lower elevations look like. My end is still a WIP also, so it may still change some. :icon_lol:
The PNG Dobo complex.

sc7500
December 1st, 2009, 09:57
Good Effort, DV !

Here's to those "Greener Jungles" !

SC

mariereid
December 1st, 2009, 10:00
Magnificent!! :applause: Can you let me know when it is idiot proof, or at least moron-friendly?:icon_lol:

Ravenna
December 1st, 2009, 14:15
Wow, that shot of the Dobo complex and surrounds looks like a great improvement. Keep up the good work dvslats!
:applause::applause::applause:

Devildog73
December 1st, 2009, 14:38
WooHoo Dave!

Man, if you drink real beer, I am gonna have to send you some home brew to keep you focused!

:ernae::ernae::ernae:

I get home to IL every now and again.

miamieagle
December 2nd, 2009, 05:00
Great news indeed!:icon29:

Oglivie
December 2nd, 2009, 17:04
Good lookin greeny jungly stuff there...well worth the effort DV, good job!

:applause:

erufle
December 3rd, 2009, 23:52
Yet another Christmas present in the works! :medals::icon29:

kelticheart
December 4th, 2009, 00:22
Amazing stuff Dvslats!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I can't wait to see the final product!

Cheers!
:snowman: KH :ernae:

P.S.: Today first snowfall at low altitudes in the Po Valley. Air Ops. momentarily on hold. We need some tropical stuff to warm up here!....:d

Ghostrider
December 4th, 2009, 13:06
That's looking really good, Dave!

xavierb
December 4th, 2009, 13:34
Lovely textures. Thank you very much for going ahead with this project, dvslats!

crashaz
December 4th, 2009, 15:36
Wow! Really nice work!:applause:

dvslats
December 20th, 2009, 09:51
Hi All,
Bet you thought I skipped town on this project. :running: Actually me was slewing all over Hades and High water looking for those bizarre land class anomalies CFS2 is known for and swapping those out for something more appropriate. Grabbing some stock FSX textures and trying my hand at making custom ones where there were none to be had. FSX's use of autogen for trees and such make for many bland world/textures...with the autogen bringing the depth of color to the textures in that sim.
I was using photos off of web pages (see screenie) for ideas on the color aspect. Google earth is a very good application, but the hues of pictures taken from outside the atmosphere...well they're going to be off.

Anywho, I've put together a set of tex's (Pacific Only) and was wondering if any one here would be able to do a little Beta test/run with them. See if I missed something or an odd thing showing up where you fly. Somewhere I possibly have not visited for awhile.

If you are interested, just drop me a pm with an email address. Another set of eyes is always good for stuff like this. :ernae:
Dave

oldwheat
December 20th, 2009, 10:49
PM sent.

CrisGer
December 20th, 2009, 13:15
wonderful

I am poking at some of the older things developed for FS family of sims including some of the denser foliage methods people have tried to make jungle look like jungle... there is a method i am going to look at in FS9 to see if it can be ported over...so if the CFS2 engine will tolerate it, we might be able to get actual masses of trees, not sure yet, but will see. with these textures we might have actual jungle to crash into and get lost in. It was really nice of him to give you permissoin, this really does look great.

CrisGer
December 21st, 2009, 11:20
Slats, i am testing now, comparing with original, and then with PAC texture packs, and yours, will take some time... but will report soon...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/1901/test1henderson.jpg

Oscar's Land Class CFS2 Pacific (OPTO v1) + Stiz Tex v3 For FS Texture Water

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2946/testblue4.jpg

Stiz PAC Tex 2 + Stiz Tex v4 for Blue Water and Greener Jungle

http://guadalcanal.homestead.com/2008photos/inserts/SBDs_over_Henderson_Field.jpg

The Actual

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6059/henderson2.jpg

Looks like we need bluer water and a intermediate light green grass texture for the dirt areas as a transition, i am going to compare with FS9 also.

It does look like the natural tree colour is closer to your new texture set....i will keep looking at reference pics.

PJMack
December 21st, 2009, 15:33
Awsome!:173go1:

oldwheat
December 21st, 2009, 18:25
Looking good from this side also. I'll keep you posted on glitches, etc.

dvslats
December 22nd, 2009, 04:41
Looks like we need bluer water and a intermediate light green grass texture for the dirt areas as a transition.

Good point there CrisGer. Something along the line of a not quite ripe banana.
The one issue is getting them to show up where you needs them. CFS2's land class seems unique since it does not fall in line with any of the FS Sdks as far as the pacific is concerned.

EZ-Landclass would work well for this. Large area coverage. Once we're past this stage I'm going to take a stab at that. Especially around the custom airstrip scenery.

I have a fairly good cache of land class textures now so finding something to fit the bill shouldn't be too hard to find.

With you, oldwheat, and several other fine members here finding things pretty much Ok, a Christmas or shortly there after upload seems possible.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help. :santahat:

CrisGer
December 22nd, 2009, 10:00
Yes, like Oldwheat, no texture tears or errors found yet.... i am searching..searching...searching....

Zulu Tango Bravo to base.......

lost somewhere over the jungle lol :):ernae:

and ys, that transition light green idea came to me as i was studying some of the refernce photos of the actual areas, if you look at that one of Henderson posted above, there is grass growing, in the area between the jungle and the developments...it helps make the bare areas not so ...bare looking. I know we cant get a lot of detail into this the senior sim, due to the engine limitations but maybe we can do some stuff with the textures that will help ....

mariereid
December 22nd, 2009, 12:34
I too, am lost. And where the heck are all these imperfections I am supposed to find? Who's paying for all this fuel? Looks dang fine to me! .....................Somewhere over New Britain.

dvslats
December 23rd, 2009, 02:01
I too, am lost. And where the heck are all these imperfections I am supposed to find? Who's paying for all this fuel? Looks dang fine to me! .....................Somewhere over New Britain.

Hmmmm...must but be something at my end. Maybe that Roth virus. Just let me get his cleared up and it's packaging time. :d

rmalone
December 23rd, 2009, 03:58
Looks good from this end- nothing weird to report.
RM

Jagdflieger
December 23rd, 2009, 04:24
Holy Moly!

Lookin' GREAT guys.

mariereid
December 23rd, 2009, 06:51
Thanks for doing this, Dave! Hard to come by a "seasons greetings" photo. This will have to do

CrisGer
December 23rd, 2009, 10:49
Ys i would say it is a go, no tears or seams or jaggies that i can find, and i have looked both at default install and layers of sceneries by various people, and it looks tight. It creates what i believe is a more accurate dense jungle look, it is dark compared to the vanilla and some others, and people can always add and mix or lighten, but i think this is a strong step forward to realism, for the actual jungle veg if you study photos from WWII and since is very very dense, indeed a major part of the landscape and the war ..... like a sea of trees on the land... and this will help with that, for the towns and urban areas i have found that Stiz's v4 is a good add on with v3 for the towns and cities it helped pearl a lot by adding more of the urban area.... but that is all tweaking. Good to go i would vote. and thanks for giving us a peek and for doing the hard work on this.:medals::medals::ernae: