PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys set up FSX

hey_moe
November 8th, 2009, 05:14
You know what really bothers me when setting up FSX. It's when I use one of the FSX default planes and a area to tweak and do all the settings to get the best FPS. After I get it just like I want I start to add some payware planes and then the FPS all go to chet using some of the nice payware planes :isadizzy:. Have any of you guys notice this...Mike

some1
November 8th, 2009, 05:22
I just have several configs. Sometimes I switch between them during flight when FPS gets bad due to bad weather, complex aircraft, or dense scenery I'm flying over.

Kiwikat
November 8th, 2009, 06:28
I use the same cfg settings except when using FTX scenery. When I enable that, I drop the autogen slider down a couple notches because the autogen in it is crazy dense. I will not lower my scenery settings for a payware aircraft. If I want to do that, I can just go back to FS9. :mixedsmi:

lucas81
November 8th, 2009, 06:32
Iam using two separate configs: one for general aviation planes with more autogen and scenery complexity and the second one for the tubliners and other complex payware planes. In the 2nd one I lower scenery complexity, autogen, traffic and ground texture res. to 2m/pix. It really helps and as I fly them above 21k feet, I really don't care about the ground detail ;)

Cazzie
November 8th, 2009, 07:49
Pretty much full sliders Moe, except for Auto-Gen, which is a frame killer. When I plan on doing video captures, I don't even use Auto-Gen.

I have nHancer set up like the tutorial from way back. I also have my cfg file on my desktop and alter it on occasion for play. I do not use the buffer setting in my cfg, found that pooed the scrooch for me.

Yeah, the big supertextures will eat into frames, but some more than others. I don-t know how A2A does it, but I get exception fps on their Cub and T-bolt. Except fgor Piglet's Paris jet, I leave them alone. jets just eat into frs in FSX on my set-up like nothing else.

Port overs most often produce terrible fps, even when converted to DDS and the model file altered for FSX. Exceptions to the rule for me; Manuele Villa's SVA 5 & 9, LilSki's Champ, and any of Milton's latest planes.

FSX in itself is fickle Mike, sometimes I can go in and take a flight without a hitch, other times, it wants to creep. But when it all works well, it's like nothing else.

Caz

heywooood
November 8th, 2009, 07:59
I don't change my settings....I just fly different planes in different regions depending on FPS and only use weather extremes with the handful of aircraft that have the lowest impact...Carenado models are vital for the simple fact that they offer the most detailed models with practically no hit on frame rates.

FSX is fiddley enough to set up and get consistency with - I'm not about to fiddle with it further for each plane or scenery that I'm using before each flight - but thats just my deal with it.

Odie
November 8th, 2009, 08:24
I have an nVidia card on my Falcon system and used Nick's (of nHancer) suggested settings for FSX in his tutorial. Before using his settings, there was a lot of payware (CH FW190, IRIS F-14, AS F-16) that I could not run even at the simplest airfields in FSX. Drove me nuts ! All the a/c vendors gave excellent help/tips, but to no avail.

In reading the tutorial, Nick said that he only changed some minimal settings, so I figured what the heck! Plugged in his settings and have been happily airborne with the heavy payware birds since then....on this machine.

Harleyman has built me an FSX specific box but I have not had the time to get it unpacked and setup yet, so my Falcon box is my FSX machine for now. Hopefully, RL will ease up and I'll get some time to swap out PCs and and get Harleyman's up and in-service !

fsafranek
November 8th, 2009, 08:37
I fly pretty much default settings with the fps locked at 28. No point in going faster than that since this human eye can't appreciate it and even film movies don't go that fast. Some sliders for the aircraft detail are adjusted more towards the right. Autogen is adjusted towards the left since I like to fly fast and low. Terrian mesh detail is adjusted up since I want accurate terrain and I'm more concerned about hitting the hill than counting the trees.
:ernae: