PDA

View Full Version : Big Bad John

lifejogger
November 7th, 2009, 07:13
A true American. Well he was a lot of fun to watch at the movies.

LO0dO6pcTAU&feature=youtube_gdata

Quicksand
November 7th, 2009, 07:26
:medals::medals::medals::medals::medals::medals:

brad kaste
November 7th, 2009, 07:26
....I don't think there will ever be one to replace Duke.....period.

cheezyflier
November 7th, 2009, 08:09
....I don't think there will ever be one to replace Duke.....period.

i agree. same with jimmy stewart and arthur godfey

TARPSBird
November 7th, 2009, 10:21
Nobody can ever replace The Duke. I especially liked him as Sgt. Stryker in Sands of Iwo Jima, and as Rooster Cogburn in True Grit. The scene where he takes offense at Robert Duvall's "one-eyed fat man" slur and charges with guns blazing is a classic. "Fill your hand, you sonofabitch!!" :d

Pauke! Pauke!
November 7th, 2009, 13:43
Well...Pilgrim, if you want to bark with the big dogs? You can't be peeing with the puppies!

Best movies, IMO: "The Searchers," "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon," "The Shootist" and "They Were Expendable." His performance in "True Grit" was of course uncomparable. A true icon of America, either good or bad depending on whose point of view is taken. He was a unique and prolific actor. He was and remains very popular.

9O8oLqY2sxo

7qQhODwivLU

9aEg28n4IRU&NR

Craig Taylor
November 7th, 2009, 14:35
I always liked "McClintock," mysoginistic though it was. And "The Quiet Man" is beyond compare. They don't make them like that anymore. I grew up in the oil fields and liked "Hellfighters" for the story and character interactions, but Dad hated for the inaccuracies.

TeaSea
November 7th, 2009, 14:58
Errr....

That should actually be "Big Bad Marion...." since that was his real name.

He was wonderful actor and shared a characteristic that many of the best do....he always wanted to work. He would take any part, regardless of whether he thought it "artistic" enough or not. He just wanted the work.

TeaSea
November 7th, 2009, 14:59
Oh, I have to point out that he made a movie about "honor killing"....

Do you know which one it was?

Dain Arns
November 7th, 2009, 16:02
I always liked "McClintock," mysoginistic though it was. And "The Quiet Man" is beyond compare. They don't make them like that anymore. I grew up in the oil fields and liked "Hellfighters" for the story and character interactions, but Dad hated for the inaccuracies.

Enjoy...

<object width="512" height="296 "><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/4WT-6pIT3QnX2hxSe_3XMQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/4WT-6pIT3QnX2hxSe_3XMQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Craig Taylor
November 7th, 2009, 20:56
Yeah - I have the DVD. Played it for the wife once, but she didn't see the humor in it. Oh, well... :mixedsmi:

EasyEd
November 8th, 2009, 17:04
Hey All,

A thread about my all time favorite movie star and I'm late to the party - bummer as I thought it was about the Jimmy Dean song Big Bad John see youtube at end.

As for the Duke somebody once said...

If you want to be an actor study Marlon Brando - if you want to be a star study John Wayne. Never heard anything more accurate.

In every movie no matter what the role from Ghengis Khan (yes John Wayne played Ghengis Khan) to the Quiet Man it didn't matter John Wayne always and forever shined through as John Wayne. It is precisely this that made him so great. To me that is one of the duties of Hollywood to have a star that Americans can look up to who embodies American (I think human) ideals even as he/she shows a vulnerable side. You can have your actors too for those who are into "how good are you at losing yourself in a role" - but I think as Homer says "BORING". I'm well convinced America will never see another John Wayne and boy do we ever need one. Did he have everything right - No but at least he stood for something - how many others can say that?

I can't even begin to say what his best roles were - he should have won an academy award for the Searchers. But to me his best movies ever bar none were

Big Jake
El Dorado
The Sons of Katie Elder
Rio Bravo
The man who Shot Liberty Valance

He did a lot of great ones but I never tire of these.

if you like John Wayne - check this guy out

http://www.themastercrayonartist.com/shop/custItems.aspx?catID=11

All of his art is done with Crayola Crayons! He's great but really does Wayne well.

Here is a favorite Youtube of mine featuring the Duke and the woman who I believe is the greatest female comedienne of all time.

pqv_Vi7VFFI

And here is the Jimmy Dean song...

gMqcZZt_4_U

-Ed-