PDA

View Full Version : Fans Of Rise of Flight please read...

heywooood
November 6th, 2009, 17:22
http://riseofflight.com/Blogs/post/2009/11/06/WIP-09.aspx

...all about where RoF is headed next with 1.009

BtW - if you do not have 1.008 yet - you should fire up RoF and get it now

Scratch
November 6th, 2009, 18:02
Yeah, this thing is even more smooth now and that's one helluva list of goodies the devs have planned in the near future!:applause:

MudMarine
November 6th, 2009, 18:03
:jump::applause:Looks like a great game is getting better!

GBrutus
November 7th, 2009, 05:08
Great news, thanks for the heads up.

gajit
November 9th, 2009, 04:35
Ive been putting of downloading the demo for weeks because i know what would happen. It took me just 2 mins of flying to decide to buy it!

Wow. Its FSX witht the ability to shot things!! and real cheap addon planes.

I think Rise of Flight deserves its own section on SOH is there is room?

Quixoticish
November 9th, 2009, 04:56
Sad to say that I installed the demo and simply wasn't impressed. The controls felt rather awkward and it was stuttering and very choppy graphics wise, even lowered and tweaked.

Perhaps in the future on a better PC.

MudMarine
November 9th, 2009, 06:13
It requires a good PC, no question.

Lionheart
November 9th, 2009, 08:24
I was never able to shoot down one single plane.. .

arrghh..

Bill

gajit
November 9th, 2009, 08:32
Odd - My pc cant cope very well with FSX but can with ROF

huub vink
November 9th, 2009, 08:43

arrghh..

Bill

Don't worry Bill, you're not the only one.... :redface:

Huub

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/Huub_Vink/RoF_crash.jpg

Francois
November 9th, 2009, 09:37

arrghh..

Bill

Me neither so far, but am having a ball flying these old rickety things :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Gdavis101
November 9th, 2009, 12:17
Awesome!!

Lionheart
November 9th, 2009, 12:43
Whew.... Good to hear guys. Thought I was the only one.

:d

Javis
November 9th, 2009, 21:05
Hmmm, despite the fact that we're at the Flight Combat Centre here, give me peacefull FSX anytime.. :kilroy:

Here i am in my beautiful Spad XIII.CI ( ROF aircraft models are truly wonderful, cockpits are even more truly wonderful, as are the sounds ) trying to rescue a fellow pilot from behind enemy lines. After hairraising flight ( glad i'm wearing a cap ) thru heavy barrage target comes in sight, a windmill with the downed Spad next to it. Got 7 minutes to land, take my injured fellow pilot aboard and get outta there. OK. I make a perfect landing (cough,cough), taxi up to meeting spot, at 0.1 miles my beautiful Spad blows up without any reason... :banghead:

Never mind shooting down enemy planes. It's as easy as nailing a turd to a plank as we say overhere..:d

Anybody managed to finish Training Mission #3 succesfully ??....

Thanks for the HU nontheless, Heywooooood ! :wiggle:

Cheers,
Eddie R.

Ferry_vO
November 10th, 2009, 01:47
Anybody managed to finish Training Mission #3 succesfully ??....

I did, but last night I was stuck in #5. Shooting the cars wasn't a problem, but bombing that tank was!

Javis
November 10th, 2009, 04:14
I did

You did !!??? You only bought it Sunday!! :confused: :d

So what happens after you've completed your stall manouvre ? Can you still see a green ring to fly thru before you land ??....

cheers,
Eddie

Snuffy
November 10th, 2009, 04:17
Got the update as well .... impressive :)

Training mission 3 still has me by the nads. :kilroy:

But even so, I've gotten a couple kills on career mode!

MudMarine
November 10th, 2009, 04:38
At this point I have four kills and two balloons which were counted as kills! So I guess that makes me an ace.........:jump:

huub vink
November 10th, 2009, 08:11
Anybody managed to finish Training Mission #3 succesfully ??.....

Hey mr Rickenbacker, perhaps this could be useful for you;

When the mission is loaded, you can select hangar at the left bottom corner. Get rid of all ammunition and reduce the fuel until about 30%.

Don't fly all the way to the first waypoint, but don't miss it as well, as you've failed the mission already before you even have crossed one single green ring.

You have only 15 minutes to finish this mission, so don't waist any time. Fly full trottle over the river and climb as steady/straight as you can to the ring at 800 meters. With this low weight the rest should be a "piece of cake". ;)

Success,
Huub

Ferry_vO
November 10th, 2009, 11:58
You did !!??? You only bought it Sunday!! :confused: :d

So what happens after you've completed your stall manouvre ? Can you still see a green ring to fly thru before you land ??....

Yes I did, but I had Monday off as well, so when I finished installing Windows 7 (Went faster than I expected!) I did some trainingsmissions.
The stall didn't work the first time (Recovered too soon) but luckily I had enough altitude to try again, and that second try was good enough to pass the mission.

scotsman
November 10th, 2009, 13:49
As Huub wrote - weight is the key to finish mission #3.
Got some gray hair until I understood.:173go1:
Just made another experience.

Ferry_vO
November 10th, 2009, 13:54
Ah yes, the very rare Fokker Dr2.5!

:icon_lol:

scotsman
November 10th, 2009, 14:03
renowned German craftmanship:d

But still flyable and landable.

JIMJAM
November 10th, 2009, 14:37
One of the most frustratingly difficult yet entertaining ways to raise my blood pressure and give me the opportunuity to use every known swear word known to man.

Ferry_vO
November 10th, 2009, 15:44
Just scored my first two air-to-air kills in the Albatros D.V, in a 1 vs.1 game. Shot down a Spad and a two-seater, the third Spad flew into the ground before I could get a good shot at it.

:d

heywooood
November 10th, 2009, 16:06
almost time for RoF to have its own room in the House?

Javis
November 11th, 2009, 20:02
Hey mr Rickenbacker, perhaps this could be useful for you;When the mission is loaded, you can select hangar at the left bottom corner. Get rid of all ammunition and reduce the fuel until about 30%.

Danke, Manni, toller tip ! :ernae:

Don't fly all the way to the first waypoint,

Why not ??

Actually the whole run is going well ( i think... ), love to buzz the rings fast and low over the river, it's just that this ol' instructor fellow keeps nagging me about him wasting his time on me.... tough cookie... like to pull that Garrison cap over his ears next time... :d

Maybe i'd better keep an eye on the time...

With this low weight the rest should be a "piece of cake". ;)

Bit too early for Spitfires and Messerschmidts, oder ...?? :)

Hals und Beinbruch,
Eddie

Javis
November 11th, 2009, 20:31
Yes I did, but I had Monday off as well, so when I finished installing Windows 7 (Went faster than I expected!) I did some trainingsmissions.

Sjeeezzzz..... so didn't you have to re-install all your stuff then ??....

The stall didn't work the first time (Recovered too soon) but luckily I had enough altitude to try again, and that second try was good enough to pass the mission.

Sjeeeezzzz (2)..... so you ran that mission one time only !??... :eek:

So what did that instructor chappy say to you then ??... I seem to be only wasting his time..... :blind:

Really am at awe with the aircraft/cockpit modeling here, sound too.... dunno about the 'game play' ..... :confused:

Sorely miss clickable cockpits, and 'replay option' even more... :frown:

cheers,
Timewaster

Javis
November 11th, 2009, 21:48
like to pull that Garrison cap over his ears next time...

Ok, did that...

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/pullcap.jpg

( two days in the slammer for insubordination and one day for my buddy who took the photo )

still wasting his time....

Did see a message appear now which i didn't see before : " did not perform a stall ( DID TOO !! ) , turn around and try again "

Ok then. ( since it's a time related mission a stopwatch might come in handy, or am i missing something ?.... )

cheers,
Cappuller

huub vink
November 11th, 2009, 23:21
Eddie,

The instructor is telling you, you are waisting his time because you fail to succeed the trainings mission. So either you exceeded the 15 minutes you are allowed to spend on this, or you didn't pass all the missions goals.

When you say the mission goes quite smooth, you are most likely exceeding the time. When you cut some corners 15 minutes is about enough to finish the mission and correct one error. But perhaps you are just missing one of the green gates.

I did this mission yesterday again and you can even fly the whole mission with only 15% fuel.

Cheers,
John (aka Huub)

txnetcop
November 12th, 2009, 03:00
You guys finally did it!!! Ya talked me into it I am getting it for Chrismas. It looks like a real challenge. I just wanted to make sure most of the new game bugs were out of it.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Francois
November 12th, 2009, 04:10
With version 1.0.0.8 things have improved somewhat. At least there now is an easier 'quick mission'with some easy targets :-)

MudMarine
November 12th, 2009, 04:11
almost time for RoF to have its own room in the House?

Agreed! It has been talked about but I don't know why it hasn't been acted upon?

MudMarine
November 12th, 2009, 04:12
You guys finally did it!!! Ya talked me into it I am getting it for Chrismas. It looks like a real challenge. I just wanted to make sure most of the new game bugs were out of it.
Ted
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>

I don't think you'll be disapointed Ted!! In many was I like RoF better than FSX!!

Francois
November 12th, 2009, 05:04
Being that most 'combat simmers' are around the SOH somewhere, this would make a good place for a RoF user forum.
Personally, I could do with some on-line partners that are a little 'older' ? I don't like mingling with the screeniekids anymore... my reflexes aren't the same as 40 years ago I'm afraid :-) I also seem to speak a different languange (and that's considering I am one of the first 'PC guys' of this world.... dating back way back into last century :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: ).

MudMarine
November 12th, 2009, 05:47
Being that most 'combat simmers' are around the SOH somewhere, this would make a good place for a RoF user forum.
Personally, I could do with some on-line partners that are a little 'older' ? I don't like mingling with the screeniekids anymore... my reflexes aren't the same as 40 years ago I'm afraid :-) I also seem to speak a different languange (and that's considering I am one of the first 'PC guys' of this world.... dating back way back into last century :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: ).

It would be great to fly with some SOH'ers!! Someone pick the time and place and I'll try my best to be there! A Co-Op mission would be awesome!

Bomber_12th
November 12th, 2009, 07:25
I got this earlier in the week for my birthday, and it is definitely much more performance intensive than I thought it would be - I really need to upgrade to a new graphics card. So-far I've gotten enough enjoyment out of the challenge of just flying these aircraft. I was quite relieved to find out that you can operate aircraft like the Nieuport with a blip switch, which I had yet to read anything on - and the effects of it, and the sound, are spot on - it just isn't right to rely on use of a throttle in an aircraft that doesn't have one. ;)

Ferry_vO
November 12th, 2009, 08:54
Sjeeezzzz..... so didn't you have to re-install all your stuff then ??....

Nope, nothing except the saitek software for the X52 (So far). The rest of the upgrade went fine. Not a single blue screen or other crash since! (Knocks on wood)

Sjeeeezzzz (2)..... so you ran that mission one time only !??... :eek:

So what did that instructor chappy say to you then ??... I seem to be only wasting his time..... :blind:

Yep, only once, and with 100% fuel and load! He said the same thing he says after each successful mission..
I think I tried the stall attempt too soon, but luckily I could try again.

gajit
November 12th, 2009, 09:34
Very excited - just killed Richtofen after creating a mission - even created his red triplane as "ace". Bet he will get me if i replay!!

gajit
November 13th, 2009, 12:51
New screens of river ships now on ROF website news page :jump:

MudMarine
November 13th, 2009, 15:22
New screens of river ships now on ROF website news page :jump:

Can you say "target rich environment"!!:applause: Can't wait for the next update!!

Side note: I shot down three Albies in one mission. While I was returning to base the dog distracted me becuase he wanted out and I flip'n crash!!:isadizzy: Love that Camel!!

gajit
November 13th, 2009, 15:26
Good fly'n Mud :ernae:

Javis
November 13th, 2009, 20:26
Nope, nothing except the saitek software for the X52 (So far). The rest of the upgrade went fine. Not a single blue screen or other crash since! (Knocks on wood)

Excuse my ignorance, Ferry. No more format when you install a new OS then ???.. ( or is this just a Vista>W7 thing ?.... i'm still on XP.. )

Yep, only once, and with 100% fuel and load! You Ace you !! :medals: :applause:

He said the same thing he says after each successful mission.. What's that ??..... :d

Ferry_vO
November 14th, 2009, 02:37
Excuse my ignorance, Ferry. No more format when you install a new OS then ???.. ( or is this just a Vista>W7 thing ?.... i'm still on XP.. )

I got a coupon for a free W7 upgrade when I bought my computer. At first I planned to do a reformat and a clean install because of all the problems I had with Vista, but decided to try the upgrade option first. Amazingly it worked out fine; easiest piece of MS Software I ever installed! :applause:

What's that ??..... :d

Something about 'Way to go!' but I try to skip those awful cutscenes as much as I can....

scotsman
November 14th, 2009, 15:17
Not so often on FSX nowadays

Mike

MudMarine
November 14th, 2009, 18:10
Not so often on FSX nowadays

Mike

Me either! RoF is way better!:engel016:

gajit
November 14th, 2009, 22:16
Same here - not touched FSX since i got ROF a week ago. Always something different happens every time i fly. Especially the way i die!! LOL

Ferry_vO
November 15th, 2009, 02:31
Well my first pilot was killed in a landing accident, after shooting down five planes in a row. I tried to set the D.VII down but it bounced and flipped over.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/RoF/2009_11_14__16_10_38.jpg

The next guy got involved in a mid-air with his kite on his first dogfight.....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/RoF/2009_11_14__19_8_1.jpg

:monkies:

IanHenry
November 15th, 2009, 04:12
Mid air collisions during dogfights are the most dangerous part of ROF. So far I have been able to avoid being shot down but have died many times due to collision. I haven't managed to soot down many aircraft though, they keep moving. Observation balloons seem to be my limit, I can hit those!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian.

Stickshaker
November 15th, 2009, 07:16
The Camel is terribly unstable in landings. Even if I touch down gently, she groundloops or topples over most of the time. Does anyone else have the same problem?

heywooood
November 15th, 2009, 09:12
you have to use the blip switch and really come close to stall speed right before touchdown...then to prevent ground loops - use the throttle or blip power on to provide enough wind for the rudder to have some authority.

hope this helps - if you can land the Neuport28 you can land the Camel

LouP
November 15th, 2009, 09:34
Neede to go back and fly OFF after reading this thread lol.

LouP

Stickshaker
November 15th, 2009, 13:06
Thanks Heywoood. I did something like this, but apparently not in the correct way. Will try again.

heywooood
November 21st, 2009, 20:05
wondering how you made out Stick...?

meanwhile I just had to get the Dr1 - finally getting used to her turn characteristics...engine torque, flying rudder (no vert stab) and those three wings make mastering turns in combat a challenge...gotta tuck the nose down going left with good rudder management and little or no elevator - going right is similar but with more elevator...

still working it out...fun to fly and fight in this historic bird of prey

gajit
November 21st, 2009, 23:06
Yep - never a dull moment in ROF (whilst your alive!!)

gajit
November 21st, 2009, 23:53
Just crashed again and was amazed and amused by the way one of my wheels came off and bounced allong the grass with the right speed and physics - the damage modelling is fantastic.

I just wish we could jump to our deaths rather than be burnt in the cockpit - like they did.

heywooood
November 23rd, 2009, 19:31
lots of new paints here and there for RoF now...

granted - this one was for the F1 version..not the Dr1 but the virtuoso needed to be

Snuffy
November 24th, 2009, 03:25
Since the update, me finds it a little more difficult to make it home on a career mission ...

I've had 3 flights so far and have had to walk home twice. :mixedsmi:

But I took one e/a with me so far.

Stickshaker
November 24th, 2009, 08:28
wondering how you made out Stick...?

meanwhile I just had to get the Dr1 - finally getting used to her turn characteristics...engine torque, flying rudder (no vert stab) and those three wings make mastering turns in combat a challenge...gotta tuck the nose down going left with good rudder management and little or no elevator - going right is similar but with more elevator...

still working it out...fun to fly and fight in this historic bird of prey

Hello Heywoood,

Thanks for asking. No luck really. Blipping or not, the plane groundloops so fast I can't do anything about it. I hope the next update, with FM changes and scalable joystick sensitivity settings, will help.

Snuffy
November 24th, 2009, 09:38
By way of a small "cheat" you can always leave autopilot selected on and then tap the A key when you need it.

For example, I use it for take offs and landings because of the joystick problem with oversentitivity.

Stickshaker
November 24th, 2009, 12:54
Clever remedy, Snuffy, but I hope an update will cure the problem. Landing is so much fun if the plane co-operates a bit.

spotlope
November 24th, 2009, 12:56
Agh. I just installed my full copy of Win7 64 (Ultimate) and now RoF won't run. I reinstalled it from scratch and did the update, but when I click "Start Game" nothing happens. It's always something, isn't it?

GBrutus
November 24th, 2009, 13:40
Agh. I just installed my full copy of Win7 64 (Ultimate) and now RoF won't run. I reinstalled it from scratch and did the update, but when I click "Start Game" nothing happens. It's always something, isn't it?

Did you install DirectX9 from the RoF disk? If you haven't, try installing it. It wont overwrite DX11.

Lionheart
November 24th, 2009, 14:25

Bill,

Alot of installers cannot find the right area for program files. For Windows 64 systems, the installers install the program to Program Files instead of Program Files (64). This may be the case for you. If so, I think if you just re-route your install to the other programs folder, you should be ok.

I do not have that OS, but thats what I hear almost daily in Installer 'havoc' emails..

Bill

spotlope
November 24th, 2009, 14:28
Thanks guys. Bill, I installed RoF on a separate drive, and not in either Program Files or Program Files (x86), so that's not likely it. In fact, I had it running on this same drive previously in my W7 RC1 installation. I'll try installing the DX9 that RoF came with, something I was hesitant to do, and see if that helps.

heywooood
November 25th, 2009, 17:12
SO I guess I don't mind touting RoF here - since the OH doesn't have a dedicated board for it yet...:wavey:

But if you were on the fence about RoF you can order it from GoGamer.com
for 19.90... on this Friday only at that price

or

you can get a stick and the game together for a nice low price if you need a stick

just letting the people know - the next patch (patches are FREE - only new planes cost money) or so will have a built in recorder and winter will be modeled.

the stick is a Saitek X52 Pro

Lionheart
November 25th, 2009, 17:15
SO I guess I don't mind touting RoF here - since the OH doesn't have a dedicated board for it yet...:wavey:

But if you were on the fence about RoF you can order it from GoGamer.com
for 19.95... on this Friday only at that price

or

you can get a stick and the game together for a nice low price if you need a stick

just letting the people know - the next patch (patches are FREE - only new planes cost money) or so will have a built in recorder and winter will be modeled.

Very cool!

Thanks for the heads up HeyWooood..

Will be nice to have winter in the scenery.

Bill

heywooood
November 25th, 2009, 17:19
I know right - I'm looking forward to it also and at the official site for RoF you can see some screenshots of winter terrain

it IS a combat flight simulator people - I really dont understand why SOH has no dedicated board by now.

there are skins and mods and utilities that need to be compiled and shared in one Outstanding House

"Gentlemen - I (thought)<thought> this school was about combat" -Viper...sorta</thought>

heywooood
November 25th, 2009, 17:53
haha just read that again..."I know right" sounds blatantly arrogant... I meant "I know, right?" :kilroy:

so easy to misconstrue words on a page if they are written carelessly

heywooood
November 25th, 2009, 17:55
..ok that was kind of a bump...with a sort of a point to it...maybe...

:ernae: don't mind me

gajit
November 25th, 2009, 23:15
I agree - RoF deserves its own place here as it will get bigger and bigger

Baron von Blutwurst
November 26th, 2009, 21:04
is anyone having DRI issues with having to apply down elevator at all times for level flight or is my stick the culprit? if I leave mine at neutral,the plane climbs nearly 90 degrees vertical. The stick works fine on every other plane so I'm thinking the CoG may be off.

gajit
November 27th, 2009, 01:24
is anyone having DRI issues with having to apply down elevator at all times for level flight or is my stick the culprit? if I leave mine at neutral,the plane climbs nearly 90 degrees vertical. The stick works fine on every other plane so I'm thinking the CoG may be off.

Hi Baron

Yes - that one and the Camel have terrible flight characteristics compared to the other aircraft - i cant believe they really flew like that!!!!

IanHenry
November 29th, 2009, 11:07
There's a great mission which lets you choose what aircraft you fight here:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=4882
<o:p> </o:p>
It's great fun.
<o:p> </o:p>
Ian.

gajit
November 29th, 2009, 13:40
Tx IH

heywooood
December 10th, 2009, 19:37
Hi Baron

Yes - that one and the Camel have terrible flight characteristics compared to the other aircraft - i cant believe they really flew like that!!!!

with the 1.009 update you can now configure your stick inputs for x,y,z, axis and save each as a profile - name one DR1 and another Camel and then keep a third as Default - or make as many profiles as you want

the directions and some user profiles are posted at RoF and at Simhq in their RoF forum

it works well and you can nullify the joystick centering springs' influence on the elevators in RoF

ronvking
December 10th, 2009, 20:53
Brought the DR.1 and flew a mission with it and had 4 wingmen, lost one almost right at the start due to a midair. Didnt see it happen but looked round and saw him with half of the top wing gone. Don't know what happened afterwards but looked as if he headed for the nearest friendly airfield.

As already mentioned by others I also like the damage "details", never the same crash twice!