PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO fsx,,,,my oh my

Daveroo
November 6th, 2009, 10:23
Hey all..ive made the switch and love it..been busy for days moving planes,so now my plane preview panels are all messed up...how can i get the right picture with the right name again??

and can i make new pics for plane that were made for FS9?..like i have the avro shacklton installed the plane works fine but doesnt show in the preview...ive noticed that most of the preview ics are 419x210pixels and are .JPG...that work???

Pepere
November 6th, 2009, 10:43
Try this:

<CENTER>FSX - FSX Utilities </CENTER><CENTER>FSX Autothumbnail

</CENTER><CENTER>[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=108783) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=108783) ] </CENTER>
Name: autothum.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=108783) Size: 137,991 Date: 02-07-2007 Downloads: 1,703
FSX Autothumbnail. Automatically generates a thumbnail file for the currently flying aircraft. The image (shown in the "select aircraft" menu) is based on a screen capture. Public Domain.

David

crashaz
November 6th, 2009, 10:52
Welcome to the Dark Side! :wavey:

txnetcop
November 6th, 2009, 10:57
Yep Welcome FSX has matured beautifully...doesn't mean it will never bite you though!:applause:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

falcon409
November 6th, 2009, 11:05
Hey all..ive made the switch and love it..been busy for days moving planes,so now my plane preview panels are all messed up...how can i get the right picture with the right name again??
I've had this same problem from time to time and usually it has to do with the last aircraft you installed, but in your case that might be hard to determine, since you've moved so many. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

. . . .and can i make new pics for plane that were made for FS9?..like i have the avro shacklton installed the plane works fine but doesnt show in the preview...ive noticed that most of the preview ics are 419x210pixels and are .JPG...that work???
The way I do it might seem tedious, but it works for me. I bring each aircraft up in the selection window in the sim and take a screen of it as it rotates to a nice side view. Once I have all the shots I need, I get out of the sim and pull each screen into PSP (paint shop pro), crop it to eliminate the excess on either side of the airplane (basically crop it to a rectangle and then save it to the corresponding texture folder as a "thumbnail.jpg". Don't worry about size because FSX automatically sizes it to fit the window.

Tako_Kichi
November 6th, 2009, 19:57
Don't worry about size because FSX automatically sizes it to fit the window.
If you crop and resize to 256 x 128 pixels (Photoshop can do both in one operation by specifying the crop size in the crop tool) then FSX won't need to resize and your preview images will be much sharper. ;)

As to saving the pictures, for the benefit of Daveroo, crop a picture you want to use as a preview to 256 x 128 and then save it with the name 'thumbnail.jpg' into the correct texture folder for that aircraft. That's it. You will now have a nice preview picture of that skin.

Naismith
November 6th, 2009, 22:21
Is there a known issue with Autothumbnail under W7 64bit for which it will not work? I had it under Vista and it worked OK but not now.

DaveWG
November 7th, 2009, 00:42
It's not just me then :icon_lol: I can't get autothumbnail to work under W7-64 either. Seems to be installed OK, as FSX sees it and asks if I want to run it, but it doesn't show in the menus.

dougal
November 7th, 2009, 00:59
It's not just me then :icon_lol: I can't get autothumbnail to work under W7-64 either. Seems to be installed OK, as FSX sees it and asks if I want to run it, but it doesn't show in the menus.

XP 64 same here. Won't work. Would be great if someone could help with this.

Cazzie
November 7th, 2009, 03:07
XP 64 same here. Won't work. Would be great if someone could help with this.

Vista 64 here chiming in that it doesn't work here either. Installs like it should, but no dice. I have been doing as Tako says and making my own thumbnails from screenshots I do with FRAPS and resizing them to 256 X 128.

Caz

Bjoern
November 7th, 2009, 09:17
Windows 7 x64; not working either.