PDA

View Full Version : The ryan pt-22

napacon
November 5th, 2009, 15:18
This has always been a great plane..historic and a big part of American aviation...always on the" look see" for a model of this interesting plane.There have been some attempts to "DO this plane,but as far as I know,to date none seem avaiable in our Sim world...If it is? boy I would like to avail myself of it...thanx...Vin

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm276/napacon/warbirds-pt-22-3.jpg

LouP
November 5th, 2009, 15:23
Bill Lyons did one.

Drzook
November 5th, 2009, 15:43
Here's one:
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002vintage26.htm
There are reflective textures at http://www.simviation.com/fs2002vintage27.htm
It needs some work to work properly in FS2004; the gauges don't show up in VC and the eyepoint seems a bit off. The worst part is that in VC mode trying to look thru the windscreen is like looking thru a perpetual fogbank. Otherwise the flight dynamics are pretty good. Maybe some of our more talented regulars can take a looksee at this?
BTW; Bill Lyons never made a PT-22 'Maytag Messerschmidt' but he did make a rather splendid rendition of a Ryan STA.

OBIO
November 5th, 2009, 16:29
THe PT-22 on Simviation, by Felipe Belalcazar is the only one currently available for us simmers to use. Someone over in the FSX forum is working on a PT-22 for a school project with the intent of making it a working FS model...no idea if that intent includes a FS2004 model or not...but the screen shots of the project look GOOD! Very nice modeling work, lots of details (the engine detail was stellar). He was looking for images of the cockpit and internal fuselage construction to really make the plane's guts look as good as its skin.

OBIO

NCGent
November 5th, 2009, 16:37
Ohhhh thats a beauty....looks like something I would like to tackle.

Chris

OBIO
November 5th, 2009, 16:44
Ohhhh thats a beauty....looks like something I would like to tackle.

Chris

Chris

Put on your helmet AND GET TACKLING! I think I could beg my wife enough to buy a PT-22 model.

OBIO

NCGent
November 5th, 2009, 16:48
LOL...lord I'm glad I'm not married:icon_lol:

Just found a lot of photos and a very nice surprise, cockpit photos:jump:

IVANOW
November 5th, 2009, 19:54
Sound File in flightsim
Search : Ryan PT-22

luckydog
November 5th, 2009, 20:43
Chris

Put on your helmet AND GET TACKLING! I think I could beg my wife enough to buy a PT-22 model.

OBIO

I'd buy one in a heartbeat !!!

Matt Wynn
November 6th, 2009, 05:38
I'd buy one in a heartbeat !!!

so would I.... if the Mrs let me... last time i bought one i had a phonebook thrown at me :isadizzy:

napacon
November 6th, 2009, 07:07
Felipe Belalcazar had ,and my be still doing this.recognizing his creative plate is full,still one wonders will this remain on the drawing board.He may be close to presenting us with this long neglected model in our Sim world!..however only he can tell us....Pictured was his last attempt as far as I know!...thanx..vin!

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm276/napacon/screenshot1286.jpg

Dangerousdave26
November 8th, 2009, 13:27
I saw one of these at the Wings Over Homestead airshow Saturday.

I could not believe how small it is.

Nice looking plane.

If someone where to finish a model of it I would like to see a 5' Oclock Charlie skin made.

This of course is the plane that 5 o'clock Charlie used in the M*A*S*H* episode.

Chris if you plan on doing one I took many pictures of it to get good detailed information. PM me if you want them.

Milton Shupe
November 8th, 2009, 14:40
This is the latest I can find over at the Old Hangar.

http://mainescenery.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=hangar&action=display&thread=9468

sctybdy
November 8th, 2009, 22:29
My Grandad Owns and Flies a PT-22 down in SoCal. If anyone needs any info regarding the building of one for fs9, Let me know. As a side note, He also has a STA that he flew for many years until a engine failure and forced landing required a complete rebuild. As I write this, he's getting ready to do the test flights on it. I learned all my basic aerobatics in the PT and I credit that airplane for teaching me things that have kept me safe over the years.

Helldiver
November 9th, 2009, 03:48
I like the Ryan STA aircraft. It was more streamlined than the PT-22. There was one at Beverly airport before the war and supposedly it belonged to one of General Patton's Staff officers. However it was consficated in 1942.

NCGent
November 9th, 2009, 16:21
Started on the PT-22 Last night and I have to say....that is the most funky looking landing gear setup I have ever seen, fun to model though.

Chris

CG_1976
November 9th, 2009, 16:33
LOL...lord I'm glad I'm not married:icon_lol:

Just found a lot of photos and a very nice surprise, cockpit photos:jump:

Im married but i corrupted my wife and she switched from Trainsim to Fs9. She got sick of me having all the fun lol. So will take a his and her package please:jump:

NCGent
November 9th, 2009, 16:36
His and her package?...can you get that for fs9?:icon_lol:

napacon
November 9th, 2009, 18:05
Thanx to KOFI,at TOH...nice shots!!....Vin

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm276/napacon/4083954175_0b316804db_b.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm276/napacon/4084284995_9a1f7e46d7_b.jpg

OBIO
November 9th, 2009, 18:09
Started on the PT-22 Last night and I have to say....that is the most funky looking landing gear setup I have ever seen, fun to model though.

Chris

LAST NIGHT?!?!?!? Did you sleep at all? For something you started LAST NIGHT you sure have a good bit done. Keep it up and I might be able to get my wife to let me use the credit card for a 2 plane Christmas gift....PT-22 and Lockheed Sirius (need another Lockheed to add to the collection).

OBIO

NCGent
November 9th, 2009, 18:31
Ohhh I'm fast brother, besides...I'll get enough sleep when I'm dead!:running:

sctybdy
November 10th, 2009, 04:04
Dude That is awesome!!!:ernae:

NCGent
November 13th, 2009, 05:58
If anyone is following this project, I made a little time last night to work on her a lil bit.

Here's what she looks like so far......

Chris

norab
November 13th, 2009, 07:02
another beauty shaping up

sctybdy
November 13th, 2009, 07:07
Heres a great website for Ryan Pics.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/015356L.html

sctybdy
November 13th, 2009, 07:12
Awesome progress.
You'll Notice in Pictures that the windscreens should be a little bit wider and the lower corners shoot down towards the extruded longeron. I've been waiting a long time for a pt22, Cant wait to get it. If you need any help with research etc. let me know.

NCGent
November 13th, 2009, 08:17
Your right sctybdy

I had just built it and just set it up there without resizing it but she's right now.

delta_lima
November 13th, 2009, 08:46
another beauty shaping up

Looks Awesome, as always!

It could be mistaken, or just not looking at this right, but something in the scale of the wheel versus the landing gear parallelogram strut assembly seems off. Initially, I thought the bottom, horizontal arm was too long, but I think you've got the whole assembly right in terms of proportions, and either the whole thing is too large, or the wheels are too small.

Just another pair of eyes, and observation, not criticism, I hope you know.

:ernae:

dl

NCGent
November 13th, 2009, 09:24
You are right delta, the 3-view I have to work with is not the best I have seen, it's very fuzzy with no sharp lines to go by. The tires are actually off another model that I just set there temporarily so it would look right. The PT-22 wheels are a lot different and I'll build new ones for it at some point. Never hesitate to give me constructive criticism, another pair of eyes is always good to have.

Chris

Terry
November 13th, 2009, 09:33
Here is a good 3d view of the gear.

OBIO
November 13th, 2009, 10:54
Chris

Looking good, looking good!

IF you decide to follow the current trend and put a female pilot or student in the plane, could you give her a pony tail.....I have a thing for women with pony tails. And green eyes, and painted toe nails. And a birth mark in the shape of a Armadillo on her left shoulder. And, though this may be pushing it just a bit, could you give her some dimples..little cute ones. And a small sexy mole by her right eye...not a big nasty one on her nose or anything like that. And could you under inflate the tires just a tad. And use flat head screws to hold the gauges in the dash instead of the round head screws. And make the engine run on bio-fuel...got to do our part to fight simulated global warming.

I think that pretty much wraps up this episode of stupidity. Now back to reality.

Looking good, looking good!

Tim

NCGent
November 13th, 2009, 12:16
LMAO....you just described my ex-wife and I aint putting her in my airplane.

OBIO
November 13th, 2009, 19:03
Chris,

One quick question....is the PT-22 going to have reflective textures? Kind of need those for bare metal/polish aluminum skin jobs.

Tim

NCGent
November 14th, 2009, 09:26
Hey Tim

Yes, I plan on 2 or three skins for it, one being bare metal.

Worked a little while on it this morning, she's slowly taking shape.

OBIO
November 14th, 2009, 09:36
Let me get this right....you started the model on the 8th, which is 6 days ago, and it is already looking like a PT-22.....and you call that "slowly taking shape". I call that an amazing rate of development.

Tim

NCGent
November 17th, 2009, 09:03
Little more done on the PT-22, wanted to test some skins to see how they look.

Chris

OBIO
November 17th, 2009, 10:05
Simply amazing what you have done in just 9 days.

Tim

NCGent
November 17th, 2009, 11:40
Thanks Tim

I have a little extra time right now, had to take a few days off from school.

Chris

NCGent
December 17th, 2009, 06:56
Little more done to the PT-22, got a little busy with school and have not had the time to do much but she's getting there.

Chris

nigel allen
December 17th, 2009, 07:46
WoW this looks great pity i can not buy it as in france and card does not work for over seas bloody thing lol i do not know how to do it keep up the great work others will enjoy for me
nigel

Lionheart
December 17th, 2009, 08:57
They are awesome little planes. Yes they are small.

That plane must do the circuit to all the airshows. I see it frequently. What a jewel. It looks like it was just made..

Nice going Chris! I look forward to seeing it.

Bill

NCGent
December 17th, 2009, 09:09
Hey Bill and thank you

It seems that this little bird is very popular all over, lots of photos and info on it. Now that I'm on Christmas break I just may get to finish it soon.

Chris

OleBoy
December 17th, 2009, 09:19
Looking real good Chris

I'm watching this topic http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/OleBoys-Paintshop/AnimatedEyes2.gif

Roger
December 17th, 2009, 09:33
Looking great Chris!

NCGent
May 16th, 2010, 16:08
Hey everyone

Been down for a while due to some PC troubles but I am back in the game now. I have made a bit more progress on the PT-22 so I thought I would share a couple of screen shots with you.

Chris

aeromed202
May 16th, 2010, 16:14
Beeautyus!:jump:

OBIO
May 16th, 2010, 16:25
Looking great Chris...looking forward to getting my greasy mitts on that plane.

OBIO

robert41
May 16th, 2010, 16:49
Thanks Chris. Glad your back.

WarHorse47
May 16th, 2010, 17:55
Thanks for sharing, Chris. Looks great. :jump:

--WH