PDA

View Full Version : Good payware plane to couple with Lukla X scenery

dhl1986
November 4th, 2009, 15:26
I just bought the Lukla X package from Aerosoft, and hopped into my trusty Carenado C-172 to do a bit of sight seeing. I quickly found out that the 172 is not the right plane for that environment. I really am looking forward to doing some approaches at VNL2, but I don't want to spoil the experience by doing it in a crap default plane, and none of the planes I currently have are up to the high altitude challenge. I have a rule that I won't fly any plane in FSX that I don't have a reasonable amount of knowledge about, so jets are out of the question. Most of my flying in FSX is done in the 152/172s from Carenado, and a DA20 which I believe I got from Aerosoft.

I am working on my PPL so I try to keep my FSXing as realistic as possible for the amount of experience I have in an actual plane. As much as I would like to hop in the Aerosoft F-16... I won't allow myself to do it. I am looking for a plane that has enough power to handle those high altitudes, but also something that would be a reasonable transition for someone with my experience. I have a grand total of 0 multiengine hours logged, so I would like to avoid those in FSX as well. Sorry for the novel to ask such a simple question. :guinness:

lawdawg
November 4th, 2009, 15:29
Aerosoft Twin Otter.

Lionheart
November 4th, 2009, 15:30
I would think the FSD Pilatus! Giant turboprop taildragger built like a tank. STOL capabilities, and Switzerland is its homeland..

Bill

peter12213
November 4th, 2009, 15:32
I have to agree the twin otter is perfect for lukla X!

Naki
November 4th, 2009, 15:47
What about your own Kodiak, Bill? :icon_lol: Its got to be a STOL turbo prop though - piston fails miserably.

Gdavis101
November 4th, 2009, 16:38
Twin Otter

Lionheart
November 4th, 2009, 16:47
What about your own Kodiak, Bill? :icon_lol: Its got to be a STOL turbo prop though - piston fails miserably.

It would be.. I didnt want to plug my own work.

:engel016:

Remember the movie Air America, how they would land that Pilatus up the side of a mountain?

dhl1986
November 4th, 2009, 16:47
I have a grand total of 0 multiengine hours logged, so I would like to avoid those in FSX as well.

:173go1:

VFR Reviews
November 4th, 2009, 17:18
Aerosoft Twotter and Lukla were practically made for each other, mate:ernae:

But if you don't want multiengine hours, I suppose the Maul could work in a jam. But there are better, of course :173go1:

Reddog
November 4th, 2009, 17:25
Why payware?? How about the default C208 or PAD's Turbo Beaver to name 2 both turbos for the altitude and both single engine and STOL

Dain Arns
November 4th, 2009, 19:00
I use the Aerospatiale SA315B "Lama" http://www.helicosim.com/index2.php :icon_lol: (Yeah I know, "Rotorcraft")

:iidea: If you haven't got it already, I highly recommend the photoscenery for the area which includes all of Everest by Frank Dainese. It is fully compatable with Lukla X.

Files can be found with a search at AVSim or FlightSim.com. Files are everest_p1.zip and everest_p2.zip :wavey:

n4gix
November 4th, 2009, 19:04
Em, the default Mooney would work just fine as well... :)

Naki
November 4th, 2009, 19:07
It will? I struggled to get up there in the Carenado Cessna 206 (in FS9)...I would expect they have similar power to weight ratios.

warchild
November 5th, 2009, 04:17
welllll, the real lukla was originally used by the little Pilatus, but lately, it's mostly used by twin otters. Both the PAD and aerosoft twin otters are good. which one is better in some ways breaks down to a matter of personal preference. I personally prefer the PC-6 and the Dragon Rapide, but, i also like flying low in the valleys in complete cloud cover so you might want to take what i like with a grain of salt or two..

dhl1986
November 5th, 2009, 12:30
Well, I finally broke down and purchased the Twotter.

Now I just have to learn to fly multiengines :crybaby:

heywooood
November 5th, 2009, 17:23
you will like the Twin Otter - it looks great, and flies better.

you can reverse props on final to assist short field landings - this feature is well modeled

I would like to adjust the windows - just kind of darken or tint them if possible...does anyone know if such a thing can be done - or if there is a file out there already that addresses it?

c87
November 5th, 2009, 17:56
If you want payware, the Aerosoft Twin Otter is the one to pick.

HighGround22
November 6th, 2009, 18:34
As I recall, any videos I've seen of Lukla (YouTube) show the place loaded with Twotters and Do-228's. I tried using Premier's Do-228, but in the end, I had more success with Aerosoft's Twotter.

spatialpro
November 7th, 2009, 16:15
Twin Otter!

arrowmaker
November 7th, 2009, 17:33
For anyone who has neither the Aerosoft Twin Otter or Lukla scenery this is why a lot of folks have this particular combo.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oCcYtmrrzJo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oCcYtmrrzJo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

dhl1986
November 7th, 2009, 19:04
For anyone who has neither the Aerosoft Twin Otter or Lukla scenery this is why a lot of folks have this particular combo.

<object height="364" width="445">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oCcYtmrrzJo&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="364" width="445"></object>

Very nice video. I couldn't tell by watching, but do you sometimes get bumps from the runway at Lukla that shouldn't be there? Sometimes my plane will literally be thrown into the air for no reason while taxiing. It is a very annoying glitch to say the least and almost makes the airport unusable. Has anyone else had this problem?

arrowmaker
November 9th, 2009, 01:17
Very nice video. I couldn't tell by watching, but do you sometimes get bumps from the runway at Lukla that shouldn't be there? Sometimes my plane will literally be thrown into the air for no reason while taxiing. It is a very annoying glitch to say the least and almost makes the airport unusable. Has anyone else had this problem?

Can't say I've ever experienced what you describe. Have you tried experimenting with your settings. If you have not already done so you might want to search the Aerosoft forums.