PDA

View Full Version : Yo Moe, TexNetCop, Harleyman..............

Cazzie
November 4th, 2009, 03:57
Y'all seen this yet? :mixedsmi:

http://www.5min.com/Video/Build-Your-Own-Mineral-Oil-Computer-Aquarium-772248''Caz

Chacha
November 4th, 2009, 04:16
... http://www.5min.com/Video/Build-Your-Own-Mineral-Oil-Computer-Aquarium-772248

:ernae:

OBIO
November 4th, 2009, 06:27
Here's the main site on this system:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

OBIO

txnetcop
November 4th, 2009, 07:33
Yep about a year ago one with cooking oil was featured at a computer show

http://www.flixya.com/video/229237/Computer_In_Cooking_Oil
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

cheezyflier
November 4th, 2009, 08:04
that looks really cool. :applause:
i'd be interested in hearing what txnetcop and harleyman have to say about the set up.

txnetcop
November 4th, 2009, 08:26
No reason it won't work. I like mineral oil idea the best as it is a clearer liquid.
There are some transparent cases nowadays and you can seal them for liquid use. I have no interest in building one though.
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Lionheart
November 4th, 2009, 09:16
I can see the bubbles helping to cool the system. I can see that case getting hot. I would think that mineral oil retains heat. I wonder what engine coolant would do? Some with zero water in it, not premixxed.

Bill

Terry
November 4th, 2009, 09:51
I can see the bubbles helping to cool the system. I can see that case getting hot. I would think that mineral oil retains heat. I wonder what engine coolant would do? Some with zero water in it, not premixxed.

Bill

You have the answer in your footer.....Apple juice plasma injection system

harleyman
November 4th, 2009, 12:06
Yup...Seen it a while back..

Pretty cool...As i remember the temps were siting stable...if you go to Puoget Site you can read all the details about it too!

I want one for kicks...LOL

Lionheart
November 4th, 2009, 12:29
A person needs some of those fake fish in there, tethered, moving around...

Maybe the famous opening giant oyster with a deep sea diver next to it.. Though in some plastic seaweed..

:d

harleyman
November 4th, 2009, 14:41
LOL Bill..

leave it to you to turn it into a fish tank...... Oh Yea...it is :bump:

If memory serves me right, the biggest problem is the drag on the cooling fans... I think it kills them fast....:gameoff:

Bjoern
November 4th, 2009, 14:55
I'm torn between "want" and "don't want".

Pros: No dust.

Cons: Changing components is going to be *messy*.

hey_moe
November 4th, 2009, 15:04
First time I have seen something like that. I got a couple of MB's in the closetwith memory,processor,and video card still connected....it would be cool to try that out. I wonder how long you can run that system being since the longer you run it the hotter the water gets.

kilo delta
November 5th, 2009, 00:51
First time I have seen something like that. I got a couple of MB's in the closetwith memory,processor,and video card still connected....it would be cool to try that out. I wonder how long you can run that system being since the longer you run it the hotter the water gets.

Temperatures seemed to be stabilising around 80°C....a little too hot for my liking,though. I've a bunch of components laying around too and the temptation to give this a try was high.....up until I read about the oil travelling along the wiring (mouse and monitor cables) and leaving a mess.

hey_moe
November 5th, 2009, 02:05
Something I don't understand. What is the purpose of doing this if once everything heats up it stays that hot. The system I have now is a water source system. I used a pond pump, added a 4ft PVC tower that I made using 4.5 in piping. Added a triple fan radiator and my temps stay around 100deg.Even the video card runs cool and Evga has had a problem trying to cool it down using standard hardware.

harleyman
November 5th, 2009, 02:25
There is no real purpose per say...BUT

This is just the purpose ..It gets people intrested and curious..And it was seen on the Builders Pugoet Site and now we all think they must have great computers that they build.....LOL

Same reason I built a clear computer with water cooling as a store rig that sits on my front counter for all my business stuff...Folks see it and are curious about the parts...many never having seen the inside of a computer before...

jmig
November 5th, 2009, 03:48
Unless you are an extreme O/Cer how many of us actually have components fail due to excessive heat? I bet I have averaged building one computer every six months to a year for the last 15 years or so. I can't recall a single CPU, GPU or MB failing.

The only failure I had was a MB which cracked into the etching from me trying to get one of those stupid push and twist coolers to lock into position. Other than that, it was always because the computer was too slow and I gave it away, after building a "faster" system.

If my current system, which is overclocked, fails, *knock on wood* I will simply replace it with a faster system. I fail to see the fascination with liquid cooled systems? When I think of liquid cooled computers, I think of water leaking into the carpet and my wife on my a$$.

A new CPU is cheaper than re-carpeting the room. :icon_lol:

Bjoern
November 5th, 2009, 04:19
I fail to see the fascination with liquid cooled systems?

If coupled to a good radiator, liquid cooled systems leave way more room for the temperatures when overclocking.

I'd even dare to BBQ my CPU at 1.45V+ if I had liquid cooling.