PDA

View Full Version : B-17 Static or AI????

Tako_Kichi
November 3rd, 2009, 18:08
I am reworking an FSX airport at the moment and could do with finding a low-poly B-17 for scenery and/or for AI use. I have looked in the usual places but found nothing. Does anyone know if such a beast exists or am I going to have to make one? FS9 or even FS2002 may be usable as static objects or AI too.

Snuffy
November 3rd, 2009, 18:10
Believe it or not Tako, Scott Gentile and I have talked about A2A trying to manufacture an AI 17.

Might do you some good to rattle his cage as its been a good while since he and I talked about it. Last I knew he was going to talk to Rob. I have no idea where its gone from there.

:ernae:

Tako_Kichi
November 3rd, 2009, 18:28
LOL...it's not like I can't get a hold of either of those gents on any day of the week. :icon_lol:

I had thought about asking Scott/Rob if I could strip down the old FS2004 WOP B-17 to make it a static/AI but if they have already considered it then it would save me a lot of time although both are very busy with the Accu-Sim conversion of the B-17 right now.

Having the WOP one as AI could be useful too as there are a shed load of repaints available for it and they should drop right on.

Snuffy
November 3rd, 2009, 18:32
I believe it was exactly that ... Tako.

As I said, I know both Scott and Rob and I had talked about it ... where it is in the scheme of things is beyond me.

I pass the baton on to you ... chase away! Please! While your're at it ... getting the fs9 B-24 AI'd too would be cool. :)

:applause:

Tako_Kichi
November 3rd, 2009, 18:53
I'll try and grab them via the IM service we use tomorrow and see where we stand. ;)

FAC257
November 3rd, 2009, 19:06
I used the original WOP bombers as AI quite a bit back in FS9 and they worked really well.

The group in this shot were all based out of UK01 and I had them scheduled to take off right at dawn a few minutes apart. Then they would fly their "mission" over to EDDF, land and park in their assigned parking spots. They didn't stay long at EDDF and would return to UK01 where they sat most of the time as static scenery until the next time they flew the mission.

I also had a group of AI WOP B-29s that made the Smokey Hill AFB-Hickam-Kwajalien-Tinian route and back about once a week. Their home base was Tinian where they spent most of their time as parked static scenery.

I never bothered trying to strip them down as they worked just fine as is. On the morning that I took this pic, there were around 80 aircraft located at EDDF operating as AI. The frame rates weren't great as I was landing in my aircraft but it was still okay.

FAC

Willy
November 3rd, 2009, 21:03
When I was doing up the stateside AI for the D-ware B-17 pack, I did missions by having them go to the "target", do a touch n go there and return to base. Seemed better to me than having them land and park there.

Tako_Kichi
November 4th, 2009, 09:33
Snuffy things are looking good! (for the 17's at least) :applause:

I have never made an AI flight plan before but this morning I grabbed a freeware AI planner for FSX and now I have two 17's taking off from my AF, flying to the nearest one, doing TnG's and then coming home again.

This is just too cool...I could sit and watch it all day. I love it when something goes right first time! :wiggle:

Of course I have zero buildings there at the moment so FPS is not an issue with using full aircraft as AI. The AI versions will be much better suited.

IanP
November 4th, 2009, 12:45
I have AI files made up for most of my B-17 and B-24 fields using the FSX update of the A2A B-17... When you get a whole horde of them in one place (I had 36!) then it does, obviously, belt frame rates quite significantly but a few of them around, sitting on pads and doing touch and go patterns works wonders for bringing a place to life.

The FSX update of the P-51D works well too. The Spit and P-47, for some reason, seem to hurt frame rates a lot more on my rig.