PDA

View Full Version : Caution! W7+NIS2010 and installing precious payware

FAC257
November 3rd, 2009, 15:33
Just a heads up.

Over the summer while using the beta and RC W7 versions I was also using the Norton NIS betas as things went along. It went from NIS2009-7 beta to NIS2010 beta and then NIS2010 RTM about the same time that W7 did.

I finally got around to installing the bulk of my payware aircraft this last weekend and found out that NIS2010's SONAR has absolutly no mercy.

Several of the big name payware aircraft I have registered as suspicious by SONAR. I have NIS at pretty viscious settings and SONAR automatically deleted the installation .exe files as soon as it thought there was a problem. There's no stopping it once the activity is spotted. It blasted the .exe files off my hard drive so fast it actually made me laugh.

Fortunatly for me I have always been in the habit of never installing anything off my master DL'd copy and had backups on an external HD.

Each time I had an aircraft install exe that got nuked, I just turned SONAR off for a moment. I wasn't a bit concerend about the actual .exe files as I've had most of my stuff for along time and have installed every aircraft I have several times.

NIS2010 I really like but boy is it bad tempered when it doesn't like something.

Tip of the day: Never install from your only Dl'd copy. :)

FAC

Wombat_VC
November 3rd, 2009, 16:50
Just a heads up.

Over the summer while using the beta and RC W7 versions I was also using the Norton NIS betas as things went along. It went from NIS2009-7 beta to NIS2010 beta and then NIS2010 RTM about the same time that W7 did.

I finally got around to installing the bulk of my payware aircraft this last weekend and found out that NIS2010's SONAR has absolutly no mercy.

Several of the big name payware aircraft I have registered as suspicious by SONAR. I have NIS at pretty viscious settings and SONAR automatically deleted the installation .exe files as soon as it thought there was a problem. There's no stopping it once the activity is spotted. It blasted the .exe files off my hard drive so fast it actually made me laugh.

Fortunatly for me I have always been in the habit of never installing anything off my master DL'd copy and had backups on an external HD.

Each time I had an aircraft install exe that got nuked, I just turned SONAR off for a moment. I wasn't a bit concerend about the actual .exe files as I've had most of my stuff for along time and have installed every aircraft I have several times.

NIS2010 I really like but boy is it bad tempered when it doesn't like something.

Tip of the day: Never install from your only Dl'd copy. :)

FAC

Thanks for the tip. Will be more careful with newer anti-virus-whatever stuff.

harleyman
November 3rd, 2009, 19:48
I put all my exe into my Virus global settings, and always allow ...

Its a pain, but do able...LOL

Bjoern
November 4th, 2009, 14:12
There's security and there's too much security.

Last time I had a PITA virus was...umm...two years ago?
And I just use a freeware anti virus program. ;)

Gdavis101
November 4th, 2009, 14:16
Its funny, Norton can't catch malicious programs but it blocks out programs that aren't bad.

FAC257
November 4th, 2009, 14:31
There's security and there's too much security.

It wasn't just security and isolation or quarantine, we're talking about a small worm hole appearing in the bottom corner of the screen and the "suspicious" file being sucked into a blackhole never to be seen again. :)

FAC

Bjoern
November 4th, 2009, 14:35
It wasn't just security and isolation or quarantine, we're talking about a small worm hole appearing in the bottom corner of the screen and the "suspicious" file being sucked into a blackhole never to be seen again. :)

That's cool and scary all at once.

Reminds me of that flash game in which you had to shoot enemies and once it died, the game deleted a random file on your PC.

warchild
November 4th, 2009, 14:38
first solution to the problem.. dont use norton or mcafee.. I use Panda and have yet to have a virus sneak in or have any problems with any of my hardware..

n4gix
November 4th, 2009, 15:42
Why doesn't everyone have a rock-solid hardware firewall installed??? :bump:

FAC257
November 4th, 2009, 15:48

My rock solid HW firewall is the only thing that prevented NIS SONAR from pulling my monitor backwards into itself and down the black hole along with the file that was getting transported to a distant stargate. :pop4:

FAC

n4gix
November 4th, 2009, 19:05
LOL! Very funny! :jump:

Bjoern
November 5th, 2009, 03:46

I'm telling everyone that a router firewall is all one needs, but nooooo, no one ever listenes. xP