PDA

View Full Version : Wilco Tilt Rotor Odyssey

falcon409
November 2nd, 2009, 11:14
I purchased this more or less right after it came out and initially had high praise for it, other than a few VC problems with some gauges being too small to tell what they were let alone read. But aside from that it was impressive. . .that is until I actually got it in the air and started trying to fly it from the VC at which point it became a slide show.

Forum threads quickly identified the culprit as the glass cockpit gauges and some workarounds surfaced to sort of alleviate the bad fps but it was like purchasing a Ferrari, then pulling out the fancy woodgrain dash and digital gauges and replacing it with a VW dash, lol. It was an option, but not really, lol. There was a subsequent update but it did nothing to correct the fps, I got tired of trying to fly it and contend with the poor frame rates and so I finally uninstalled it.

A few days ago as I was looking through flightsim.com I saw where someone had done a review of the Tilt Rotor. . .a bit late, I thought, but I had a look to see what he had to say. Unfortunately, while he had high praise for it in general he also mentioned the poor frame rates. . . .but. . .since I had made some changes to my system since first testing the Tilt Rotor I decided to give it another shot. What I found was that there had been another update (to ver 1.4), some additional liveries added and some more tweaks to the VC, so I went back to Wilco Pub, logged in and downloaded the latest version and installed it.

I don't know if it's what they did in the latest version, what I did in the interim between my first experience and this one or a combination of both, but it's almost stutter free now, lol. I think I'll always be plagued with some minor stutters so I basically discount those and with that I have to say that the problems I had with the original TR are gone. Rob's VTOL coding is just spectacular to experience and when set up correctly, I can push the CHPro throttle full forward then slowly adjust the prop axis setting with the small throttle adjustment on my joystick and the TR lifts vertically and effortlessly into the air. Very Cool!!

If you did what I did initially, if you put the TR away for another day. . .it might be time to give it another try.

Lionheart
November 2nd, 2009, 13:10
Thanks Falcon.

I'll have to get mine back out. I didnt have frame rate stutters on my rig, but I had a heck of a time learning to hover, lolol.. (I cant fly helo's either, so that is surely what I was doing wrong. I couldnt even hover in my Blade Runner Spinner.. arrgh).

Bill

hey_moe
November 2nd, 2009, 13:50
Thanks for the HU....I didn't have the problems you were talking about but I will dl the update anyway....Mike

rcbarend
November 2nd, 2009, 13:56
.... Rob's VTOL coding is just spectacular to experience and when set up correctly, I can push the CHPro throttle full forward then slowly adjust the prop axis setting with the small throttle adjustment on my joystick and the TR lifts vertically and effortlessly into the air. Very Cool!!

Hi Falcon,

Glad you enjoy it now (again)....
One little correction though, just for your understanding.
It doesn't really matter how you set your CH thottle, because the engine throttles are completely controlled from the VTOL gauge (and thus override the setting of your CH throttle).

:ernae: Rob

PS: I notice you still use the Skycar avitar; makes me feel really good :applause:

IanP
November 2nd, 2009, 13:57
Rob Barendrecht (I can never spell your surname, sorry Rob!) made significant changes to the hover system in it for the latest update, making the power changes take place using the prop pitch, which is instant, rather than the throttle levers, which aren't. It makes a lot of difference.

I have it installed, although I don't fly it much. It's not the best performing aircraft at the best of times, but it is quite flyable.

Edited to add: And you posted less than a minute before me anyway... :d

falcon409
November 2nd, 2009, 15:08
Hi Falcon, Glad you enjoy it now (again)....
One little correction though, just for your understanding.
It doesn't really matter how you set your CH thottle, because the engine throttles are completely controlled from the VTOL gauge (and thus override the setting of your CH throttle).

PS: I notice you still use the Skycar avitar; makes me feel really good :applause:
Hi Rob, thanks for the explanation. . .it has been a while (obviously) since I originally set the prop axis to be in control of the engines and I had forgotten much of the technical side. Good to know that all that movement of the CH Throttle is simply for my own entertainment and actually does nothing at all, LMAO!!

Yes, I continue to fly the Skycar on a daily basis. Great aircraft and a ton of fun to fly. . .thanks again to your VTOL magic!!

rcbarend
November 2nd, 2009, 15:58
Rob Barendrecht (I can never spell your surname, sorry Rob!) ....
It's BarendreGt; not too difficult, is it ? :d

But don't worry about it; even most dutch people write it as you do :blind:.....

What's really challenging for you english-speaking guys is to pronounce it correctly :icon_lol::icon_lol:.
As Paul Clawson (PutPut) proved again when he visited me a few years back (sorry Paul, if you read this :icon_lol:)

PutPut
November 2nd, 2009, 17:45
It's BarendreGt; not too difficult, is it ? :d

But don't worry about it; even most dutch people write it as you do :blind:.....

What's really challenging for you english-speaking guys is to pronounce it correctly :icon_lol::icon_lol:.
As Paul Clawson (PutPut) proved again when he visited me a few years back (sorry Paul, if you read this :icon_lol:)

:monkies::icon29:

Paul

falcon409
November 2nd, 2009, 17:48
:monkies::icon29:
Paul
lol, lol:applause:

Lionheart
November 2nd, 2009, 17:50
lolol...

So, would the G be slient or would it have a K sound?

Bill

Wombat_VC
November 2nd, 2009, 20:49
Thanks Falcon.

I'll have to get mine back out. I didnt have frame rate stutters on my rig, but I had a heck of a time learning to hover, lolol.. (I cant fly helo's either, so that is surely what I was doing wrong. I couldnt even hover in my Blade Runner Spinner.. arrgh).

Bill

Wilco did try to improve the FPS and they succeeded (though still not great) somewhat with 1.3 onwards. What is most impressive is that the thrust control now comes directly from prop pitch, making responses instantaneous. Hovering and landing is now much easier than the FSX helos.

There is no traditional rudder on that bird. Rudder controls actually tilt the props on their axis, which is different from tilting the entire engine assembly, making the whole plane extremely agile. I would call it cheating if I were to fly her to Gera's world's most dangerous airstrips.

Interestingly, FSX ATC will continue to think the TR is a fixed wing. Getting take-off and landing clearance can be quite funny.

rcbarend
November 3rd, 2009, 07:53
lolol...

So, would the G be slient or would it have a K sound?

Bill
Neither :icon_lol:

It's best described as "clearing your throat" ... I think :isadizzy:

IanP
November 3rd, 2009, 08:11
The problem I have, Rob, is that I rarely actually see your full name written down and can never find it when I need to check my spelling... Am hammering it into my brain now. <tink!><tink!><tink!> :engel016: