PDA

View Full Version : Photo Real Scenery on 3rd Hard Drive?

Lionheart
November 2nd, 2009, 06:10
Hey all,

I just downloaded Mega Earth Massachusetts and I am wondering, since its so huge, should I load this on a 3rd HD instead of my 2nd HD that has FS on it?

Just wondering if performance would be helped or hindered splitting them up like that. (Perhaps you cant even do that?)

Thanks for any input.

Bill

kjb
November 2nd, 2009, 06:22
It can be anywhere. I've run test versions of mine on an SD card. I don't know if you'd see any noticeable change in performance.

harleyman
November 2nd, 2009, 06:45
Long story short..

Place the install anywhere you want it Bill..

Just be sure to place a folder there first and call it say...Photo..ARizona..Then browse the install to there..All it does at that point is rewrite the textures in FSX...

Lionheart
November 2nd, 2009, 06:59
Long story short..

Place the install anywhere you want it Bill..

Just be sure to place a folder there first and call it say...Photo..ARizona..Then browse the install to there..All it does at that point is rewrite the textures in FSX...

Thanks guys.

Most appreciated.

KJB,

I would have never thought you could run scenery from a flash drive, lol.. Engenious..

kjb
November 2nd, 2009, 08:01
I was copying it from my desktop to my laptop for testing. It worked just fine. I didn't notice any difference in load times or performance.

My setup has Win7 on one drive, XP on another and FSX files on a third.

gera
November 2nd, 2009, 08:07
I place all my big files in my "outside" drive and find no penalties of any kind in FSX.....so yea just drop it in the fifth disk if you got one....:mixedsmi:

kilo delta
November 2nd, 2009, 08:10
I'm running my photo scenery on a dedicated ssd drive. :)

Pips
November 2nd, 2009, 13:09
These extra hard drives folks are talking about, do they have to have Windows on it? Or are they simply empty storage disc's?

If the second, how does FSX on 'C' drive know where to look to find it?

Lionheart
November 2nd, 2009, 13:32
These extra hard drives folks are talking about, do they have to have Windows on it? Or are they simply empty storage disc's?

Hey Pips,

No, they do not need windows on them. In actuality, they act basically like a Flash Drive in a sense, or even a giant super folder. They just need to be formated and then plugged into your computer and they will show up as the next drive letter available, such as F, E, G, etc..

I find that 'internal drives' are quite inexpensive and you can get HD cases and also HD slots (plug in and turn on) that resemble a 8-track player. This way, you can have several drives in a drawer or on a shelf, and when you need a certain one, plug it in and you have that drive active.

Great for backup up as well. You can transfer a gig in seconds.

Bill

harleyman
November 2nd, 2009, 13:36

As Bill stated above...... no Operating System needed..Just a second hard Drive installed..

When you install to that drive, after creating a folder there for each install, FSx will write an entry into your regestry onto your C drive.

Pips
November 2nd, 2009, 18:22
Ahh cool. Thanks.

Gdavis101
November 2nd, 2009, 18:50
I usually run my photoreal scenery on a driver other than my FS drive.

Wombat_VC
November 2nd, 2009, 21:11
Hey all,

I just downloaded Mega Earth Massachusetts and I am wondering, since its so huge, should I load this on a 3rd HD instead of my 2nd HD that has FS on it?

Just wondering if performance would be helped or hindered splitting them up like that. (Perhaps you cant even do that?)

Thanks for any input.

Bill

The need for huge space for scenery of this world somehow reminds me of the James Bond movie "The World is not Enough". :isadizzy:

jimjones
November 3rd, 2009, 02:39
Been using a USB external drive for a couple of years now for photoreal scenery. Seems to work great and with no apparent delay.