PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Factory/A2A Corsair paints WIP

RobH
November 1st, 2009, 18:27
Working on a repaint for this beauty. Still got some more weathering to do, trying to get them close to looking like they really did. (I just noticed that I forgot the VF-17 flags on the front cowling.)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Corsair/kepford4.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Corsair/kepford3.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Corsair/kepford2.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RobH1108/FSX%20Corsair/kepford1.jpg

CODY
November 1st, 2009, 20:21
Lookin' Good!:applause:

Jeff

stansdds
November 2nd, 2009, 02:06
That must be the nicest repaint I've seen for the Aircraft Factory Corsair. Are you correcting the panel line problems and moving the recognition lights too?

SpaceWeevil
November 2nd, 2009, 03:47
Very nice indeed! This could be just the incentive I need to reinstall the Corsair, she probably deserves much more attention than I gave her. Is she going to be shiny at all? There was a thread about 'shiny v flat' recently - Helldiver in particular recalled that the USN birds gleamed like new cars. Anyways good luck with this one, you set the bar very high with your Tempest repaints.

Lewis-A2A
November 2nd, 2009, 04:02
Theres plenty of photo evidence in colour film, after all it wasnt that long ago!

And the photo evidence points to both shiney + dirty being the way it went down depending on conditions, unit etc. :monkies:

SpaceWeevil
November 2nd, 2009, 04:35
I'm sure you're right Lewis. All I know is I do my flying in the here & now, and I like my camo mounts in satin and my USN ladies in gloss. And that's not meant to sound as pervy as it probably does!

RobH
November 2nd, 2009, 04:58
Thanks folks!:ernae:

Stansdds, at this time I am using the included paint kit. Right now, I don't have time to do a complete new paint job on her, but, I may change my mind later.:jump:

SpaceWeevil, this particular plane was land-based. Looking through photos of these, they were pretty nasty and very little shine. I do plan on adding a little more sheen, but not much more. I am sure the carrier based ones were kept more prestine, especially the overall gloss sea blue versions.

Lol, I get into this problem with every paint I do in FS. I guess since I came from painting in the combat series sims, its automatic for me to paint them dirty and nasty like they were. I like to make my work as real and historical as possible. Everyone has their own taste:ernae:

I will have some that will be carrier based and I will paint them not so nasty:icon29:

MudMarine
November 2nd, 2009, 05:25
I like!!:jump::applause:

SpaceWeevil
November 2nd, 2009, 08:02
Thanks folks!:ernae:
Lol, I get into this problem with every paint I do in FS. I guess since I came from painting in the combat series sims, its automatic for me to paint them dirty and nasty like they were. I like to make my work as real and historical as possible. Everyone has their own taste:ernae:

I will have some that will be carrier based and I will paint them not so nasty:icon29:

Please don't let anything put you off doing your paints how you think they should be done. It was a question, not a demand!

RobH
November 2nd, 2009, 12:52
Please don't let anything put you off doing your paints how you think they should be done. It was a question, not a demand!

Not a problem, I knew you weren't demanding. I apologize if I seemed like your comments bothered me:ernae:

stansdds
November 2nd, 2009, 17:33
On the shiny vs. flat issue, the two and three tone schemes were non-specular (flat) finishes, the later overall sea blue scheme was a glossy finish and there was usually a non-specular, anti-glare finish applied to the top of the fuselage forward of the windscreen. Most restored Corsairs painted in three tone schemes (incorrect for -1D's, but that's what happens when all but two flyable -1's in the world today are -1D's) have a glossy finish.

RobH
November 10th, 2009, 18:42
Just a small update on this repaint, I am doing a "ground up" repaint for the Corsair. It will include new panel lines, rivets, bump maps etc. My time is short right now, so it may still be a while, but I will get some repaints done for this beauty:jump:

GrinningJester
November 11th, 2009, 09:05
During development of the A2A corsair, the textures that were sent in to A2A were in fact, quite different than the ones that came out after A2A had done tweaks of their own.

Just thought I'd show you as an interesting sidenote.

http://www.dackard-3d.com/britishcorsair.jpg

falcon409
November 11th, 2009, 09:27
hmmm, kinda looks like those textures weren't even used. That looks nothing like what was released. At least from what I remember it doesn't.

Flyboy208
November 11th, 2009, 10:11
Looks like "Ike" Kepford's Hog. Nice job on the repaint.

Mike :applause:

Odie
November 11th, 2009, 13:02
I've always been partial to this paint scheme versus the overall dark blue. Just seems to show off the lines of the plane better to me.

It looks great and will be a good addition for this bird !

SkippyBing
November 11th, 2009, 13:09
Those Fleet Air Arm textures are actually in the paint kit as inactive layers in the PSD files. Obviously if you're being picky the wingtips are wrong but otherwise you could resurrect it fairly easily.

Lewis-A2A
November 12th, 2009, 02:38
Yes the model doesnt fit the paint in various areas, just liek the differances between harriers and US marine av8's.

But yes the layers are present in PK