PDA

View Full Version : Lionheart :: need your Gmax Tutorial link

N332DW
October 27th, 2008, 01:25
I found a thread on google, where you had a FSX Gmax tutorial built, with a sample plane and Materials. the link is dead ; "lionheart creation world?"

i'm stuck on the transparency of props and glass in Gmax ... Garg!

is that tutorial still available? moved? new link?

any help in converting to the "dark-side" is appreciated.

Lionheart
October 27th, 2008, 12:22
Rats! That was on my old 'slow' server, which I sunk at sea, over a bottomloss trench near Japan, in sea water.. on a hot day.. with huge explosives!! (Can you tell I hated that server?)

I'll see if I can find it. Felix might have it on the FFDS server also. If I find it, I'll put up a new link for it.

I must tell you that its a Gmax FS9 to FSX tutorial though, not a 'How to Gmax' tutorial. For a good Gmax learning tutorial, try 'Stupid Idiots Guide to Gmax'. You'll have to google that. Its the best around. Also, for learning where the basic tools are in Gmax, do the basic Gmax tutorial. But.... (but... ) Do them in order, and 'DO NOT' move on to the next level of tutorial until you can perform the present tutorial 'by memory'. This way, you memorise where the tools and commands are and when doing the next level of tutorial, you will be able to move faster. (Figure a day for each level of tutorial, so about a week). Remember, the P-38 tutorial is for when you have graduated from all levels of the tutorial package. Its the hardest and the previous levels show you the basics you will need for the last tutorial.

Bill

N332DW
October 27th, 2008, 15:13
I know Gmax ... it's just getting the FSX materials set for transparency i.e glass and prop blur that was the hold up . :banghead:

I found the SDK DC-3 that Chuck Jodry has converted to Gmax and was able to merge in the glass and prop materials from that ,
so I'm back on track. :applause:

now i'm delving into creating and using bump maps and already thinking about creating VC's next. FSX Gmax is actually kinda easy having used the FS9 SDK for so long. animations are a snap ( don't have to memorize part names anymore) - I've got the platform and animations done for my LCAC. just need to test out if it will carry fighting vehicles without dumping them off the stern as well as some texture re-work and build the VC. i'm even geeked about putting in switches and knobs and things, it seems too easy with the FSX SDK :isadizzy:

Thanks for your continuous, positive re-enforcement and supportive demeanor. it is a pleasure :wavey:

N2056
October 27th, 2008, 15:40
Welcome to our madness :costumes:

What graphics program are you using? I use PSP9, and have got a method of making my bumpmaps using Gimp & a Nvidia plugin that works and you don't have to buy anything :d

If you have Photoshop you can do it all within the program. If you have PSP and need any help give a shout and I'll show you how I'm doing it.

Lionheart
October 27th, 2008, 16:51
I know Gmax ... it's just getting the FSX materials set for transparency i.e glass and prop blur that was the hold up . :banghead:

I found the SDK DC-3 that Chuck Jodry has converted to Gmax and was able to merge in the glass and prop materials from that ,
so I'm back on track. :applause:

now i'm delving into creating and using bump maps and already thinking about creating VC's next. FSX Gmax is actually kinda easy having used the FS9 SDK for so long. animations are a snap ( don't have to memorize part names anymore) - I've got the platform and animations done for my LCAC. just need to test out if it will carry fighting vehicles without dumping them off the stern as well as some texture re-work and build the VC. i'm even geeked about putting in switches and knobs and things, it seems too easy with the FSX SDK :isadizzy:

Thanks for your continuous, positive re-enforcement and supportive demeanor. it is a pleasure :wavey:

Roger that.

I wasnt sure if you were a Gmaxxer or not. There are still alot of FSDS people out there.

When you get into making new animations, it can get a bit 'sophisticated', shall we say, lol..

When I was convinced to do my first VC, its like making models opened up double of what it was. Great fun. I enjoy making as much stuff animate as possible and putting in hidden goofy things, like coins in a ashtray, tripple animated sun visors, disappearing parts, post cards that twirl out of a map box and land on a seat. Then doing the shading in the graphics of the VC, which can really help to make it look realistic.

man.. I am an addict. I need help... arrghhh.. :isadizzy:

For starwars though, have you thought of taking existing stock gauges from MSFS, changing the textures a bit, and putting in a SciFi font? You would place the font call request in the gauge code, and make sure to have the 'freeware' font in the installation section so that can be placed in the FS/Font folder.

FelixFFDS
October 27th, 2008, 18:05
HArrumph, just because we use FSDS doesn't mean we can't have our bump maps, etc.