PDA

View Full Version : EasyEd - modern - PC-12

EasyEd
October 30th, 2009, 18:15
Hey All,

Time to get the modern plane underway. I just launched 15 mins ago and am at cruise altitude flying EGUN - LRBS. Lets see how this goes!

-Ed-

An edit: I know it'll be tough competing with all you two engine guys but I'll see what I can do - other one engine guys can relate I'm sure. :)

Willy
October 30th, 2009, 19:15
Single engine just has to peddle harder... ;)

EasyEd
October 30th, 2009, 22:42
Hey All,

Down and safe LRBS

I'm thinking I didn't have the best strategy in mind. Had to slow way down at the end just to get to the destination - had less than 1% in the tank at the end. I think it cost me a bit of time. Have to do some math on that one.

Kodaks

1) Leaving EGUN
2) The PC-12 in climb
3) The English Channel ahead
4) Over the Transylvanian Alps
5) Is it ALWAYS foggy at LRBS? I think so.
6) Parked and needing a brewski.

-Ed-

PS Willy I pedaled hard but think I was 7 or 8 kts slower than I should have been however I did have small headwinds most of the way and was low on petrol at the end and hunting for the airport in the fog.

Willy
October 30th, 2009, 22:57
I didn't mention it, towards the end of my flight into OIBB I was running almost on fumes. I misjudged how much fuel I needed to have and then had strong headwinds to boot. My next flight, I took off with full tanks. Just pedaled harder to get there then.

EasyEd
November 6th, 2009, 09:12
Hey All,

Launching LRBS - ORBS

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 6th, 2009, 13:58
Hey All,

Down and safe ORBS.

Nice flight.

Note the winds on this flight versus the last - near the same yet much faster trip this time. Have to look into how the wind info in duenna is collected and what it might mean.

Kodaks

1) Leaving LRBS
2) The Danube in SE Romania
3) Heading for Turkey
4) Day time moon over Turkey
5) That big lake before Baghdad
6) On approach - a bit high but no problemo for a PC-12
7) Oops got a bit close wanting a Kodak beside a military transport - luckily I'd already stopped duenna. Now to get out here before the MPs start lookin around for evidence! :bump:

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 6th, 2009, 14:00
Hey All,

Launched ORBS - OPNK a few mins ago am at cruise and now can catch up on posting. Hope the tailwind holds out so I can get there!

An edit: An hour in and I been thinking about my destination OPNK a 2000 ft dirt strip - no problem for a PC-12 but I'm wondering about daylight - I'm guessing no lights so I'm gonna go 35 odd nm farther to a 12000+ ft strip OPQT as I'm guessing a strip that long may well be lit - just in case!

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 6th, 2009, 18:54
Hey All,

I crashed.

I left the computer after setting the altimeter for about 1200 ft above airport altitude throttling back and letting it descend at 2000 (I think) ft/min. The log shows the plane descended was leveling and crashed into a ridge 8 nm short of the runway away. I think I needed another 700 or so ft of altitude to clear the ridge. I was not at the computer to pickup the radar altimeter coming to life to showing the ground rising as I was in another room discussing with my wife what to do with my son who has a temperature of 103.5 - ER time or not? We decided aspirin and another hour or so and look again. Had I been at the computer I think I could have saved the plane as it does have a radar altimeter but I have no way of knowing that. Of course it was dark but it was also clear. I suppose I should have paused the computer but thought I'd be back in time. I think I did hear the decision height message. Anyway I guess it's a crash. What are my options? Real bummer as it was a nice long pretty fast leg. Now to go check my son again.

-Ed-

Great Ozzie
November 6th, 2009, 20:27
I sure hope something such as this is classified as a "Real Life Interruption"....

(pssssst Ed.... I think you are covered in the Races Rules § 8. ¶ (b) and just need to refly w/no penalty)

EasyEd
November 6th, 2009, 21:17
Hey All,

A refly is what I'll do. Hopefully the wind Gods are good to me again.

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 7th, 2009, 09:06
Hey All,

ORBS - OPQT again... Enroute in a few.

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 7th, 2009, 13:44
Hey All,

Down and safe OPQT

Nice FAST flight - that 306 kts max GS was in level cruise! I even had 5% fuel left at the end although I backed off the throttle a bit just to be safe - I think I could have run the leg full out. Helps to have a practice run although I'd a been real happy landing last night's effort meaning I wouldn't have had to worry about my son. He's fine this AM.

Kodaks

1) Leaving Baghdad
2) Mountainous Iran - hope not to see any Iranian F14s intercepting me!
3) Some big lake in mid-Iran
4) Half in Afghanistan half in Iran
5) Endless desert in Afghanistan
6) I can see where this is a tough airport in the dark - remember that for the RTW!
7) Steep into this one - glad it's over 12,000 ft
8) Parked and planning to leave muy pronto - want some more of that tailwind!

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 7th, 2009, 13:46
Hey All,

Left 12 mins or so ago and am at cruise OPQT -VIAL

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 7th, 2009, 16:56
Hey All,

Down and safe VIAL - checkpoint 2.

Another nice FAST flight. Legs 2,3 and 4 have really helped make up for that SLOW first leg. Would sure like that one back! Nice flight nice tailwind - was concerned when I flew into fog at 13,000 and was hoping it wasn't foggy at VIAL - it wasn't easy landing. Now what to do another leg in the PC-12 and call her good for awhile or switch to the ME-108 sitting under a tarp at ORBS now. Be hard to go that slow again but sooner or later I gotta do er. Hmmm...

Kodaks

1) Leaving Quetta - that ridge in the background is the one I didn't have a chance to avoid last night.
2) A river in eastern Pakistan - switching to India type landscapes
3) Hope this fog doesn't extend all the way top the ground
4) Approach to VIAL
5) Parked for gas before I either park er or fly one more leg

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 8th, 2009, 09:06
Hey All,

Launched VIAL - VYCI

-Ed-

EDIT: 45 or so mins short of my destination I was cruising at 17,600 over the Bay of Bengal and the weather changed and suddenly I was at about 19,200. BUSTED I'll have to refly. Should have saved the duenna but I shut duenna off. Had about a 13kt tailwind the whole way too - bummed - almost 2.5 hours invested.

EasyEd
November 22nd, 2009, 15:40
Hey All,

Launched VIAL - VYCI again...

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 22nd, 2009, 19:55
Hey All,

Down and safe VYCI

Had to pick up my daughter from her work before posting.

Not flying in 2 weeks I all but forgot how! Came down too early and was on the deck 13 miles away and was on the wrong side of the flightline to the airport as the last picture shows. Cost me some time probably 3 or 4 or more mins and really contributed to almost wasting a tailwind. Also when I landed and stopped I was waiting for duenna to stop automatically before I realized - cost me a bit more. Nice flight otherwise.

Don't know why I didn't get a map on the duenna - puzzling!

Kodaks

1) Leaving VIAL
2) My copilot - she loves the Flight1 PC-12 almost as much as I do! :mixedsmi:
3) Indian ocean ahead
4) Nothin but water out here
5) Cocos Islands in the distance
6) On the ground VYCI
7) My approach to VYCI

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 23rd, 2009, 17:10
Hey All,

Gonna try to get a leg in on a weeknight. Will have to leave the computer completely unattended for probably about 30 mins or so. May have to abort but will post.

Rolling VYCI - WSSL

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 23rd, 2009, 17:30
Hey All,

FS just QUIT! in my hurry to get going I simply started going - FS had been running continously since Saturday (and now it's Monday) with no restart of FS or reboot of the computer. I didn't want to take the time so FS must have overloaded.

OH Well I know weeknights just don't work for 3 - 4 hour legs - I only have weekends and those are usually interrupted. Must be nice to be retired or...

Maybe I can try tomorrow.

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 24th, 2009, 17:30
Hey All,

Gonna try again to get a leg in on a weeknight. Will have to leave the computer completely unattended for probably about 30 mins or so. May have to abort but will post.

Rolling VYCI - WSSL

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 24th, 2009, 21:40
Hey All,

Down and safe WSSL.

Nice flight - during my 30 min absence to pick up my daughter the plane only drifted 6 nm west of it's course so I didn't lose much time there. Winds could have been more helpful but you get what you get.

Kodaks

1) Leaving Coco Island - VYCI
2) Ocean everywhere
3) Land ahoy
4) I think Georgetown is on that island on the right
5) Solidly over land
6) WSSL just ahead
7) Unusual approach to WSSL
8) Parked at Seletar

EasyEd
November 25th, 2009, 15:23
Hey All,

Moving on WSSL - WAAA

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 25th, 2009, 19:51
Hey All,

Down and safe WAAA.

Had to go get my daughter before posting. Nice flight - had a 7 - 10 kt tailwind most all the way. Wish I could fly the next leg to Darwin tonite as I think the tailwind would continue but... maybe tomorrow.

Kodaks
1) Seems I been holding up traffic - better get a move on
2) Leaving Singapore
3) Land at last after all that water
4) WRBB where I thought I'd go before deciding on WAAA due to wind is over there beyond the plane
5) Last stretch of water before WAAA
6) Always nice to see that red light appear out of the fog!
7) Approach to WAAA
8) Parked

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 26th, 2009, 18:16
Hey All,

Moving on again WAAA - YPDN

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 26th, 2009, 21:37
Hey All

Down and safe YPDN

OK flight - glad I guessed right on the winds and flew the long leg last night and the short one tonight. Winds were barely favorable. Nice to get to OZ! Anybody got a Foster's handy?

Kodaks

1) Leaving WAAA
2) Leaving Malaysia
3) Indonesian Islands before Timor
4) Over Timor
5) Melville Island after a flight across the shark infested - or so says MM - Timor sea
6) Approach to YPDN
7) Parked at darwin

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 28th, 2009, 11:43
Hey All,

Don't know what I'm going to get for winds but here goes...

Moving on again YPDN - YBMA and beyond... maybe

-Ed-

An Edit: have reset the GPS to Charleville. Right now running with a slight tailwind and 4 to 5 mins "extra" fuel to Charleville. May throttle back slightly for more reserve but in the end the winds will determine success or failure on this leg

EasyEd
November 28th, 2009, 16:19
Hey All,

Down and safe YBCV

Gosh did I hate coming down - it ain't often you are cruising at 316 kts GS in a PC-12! This leg made up for my very first one. On that one the winds started out as a strong tailwind and steadily died and I eventually had to reduce throttle to get to Bucharest - resulted in my slowest leg of all - very disappointing. This leg started out with headwinds and steadily got better till I hated having to land! 1208nm with 5% fuel still left. One leg to go though.

Kodaks

1) Leaving Darwin
2) Somewhere after leaving Darwin headed SE
3) Australian textures come together
4) Bunch of rivers down there with no clue what they are doing - nice pattern though
5) Nice to see an airport appear out of the fog
6) Approach to Charleville
7) Parked at Charleville any Aussie beer around here that even begins to match Canadian beer? :mixedsmi:

-Ed-

EasyEd
November 29th, 2009, 12:09
Hey All,

Well it looks like major headwind city ahead plus a lo vis landing but here goes...

Moving on - final leg YBCV - YMEN - Guessing 2:40

-Ed-

MM
November 29th, 2009, 12:17
Good luck, Ed. Nothing like headwinds and fog to add interest to the finale...;)

EasyEd
November 29th, 2009, 15:23
Hey All,

Done deal! Great Event many Thanks to the organizing committee!

My slowest average speed leg of the whole event but also the strongest headwind I faced the whole time. All told I'll take it.

Missed my predicted time by 2 mins 2 secs as I was setting up for an ILS which I didn't need - plus the winds were a bit more than I thought. Mighta been real close to right on time if I had just flown straight in instead of circling for the ILS - which as it turns out i didn't need.

I know I could have waited for better winds but that just didn't seem right since the event is supposed to end tomorrow (today by local YMEN time).

Kodaks

1) Leaving YBCV Charleville
2) Somewhere south of Charleville
3) Is there any more perfectly designed and aesthetically beautiful aircraft for its purpose (speed and STOL) anywhere? (Well maybe the Kodiak! :mixedsmi:)
4) The flight deck
5) Melbourne ahead
6) Caught in between! Realizing I didn't need to set up for slow flight down the ILS - lets see how quick we can get on the ground.
7) Think I'll fly one of these next time...

Great Ozzie
November 29th, 2009, 16:04
Well done Ed! A hearty Congratulations! :ernae:

EasyEd
November 29th, 2009, 16:26
Hey All,

From one 12driver to another Thanks Rob! A great run on your part as well. Now let's see where these 12s end up in the grand scheme of things.

-Ed-

Dangerousdave26
November 29th, 2009, 16:40
Congratulations Ed :ernae:

PRB
November 29th, 2009, 16:49
Bravo Zulu, Ed!
:ernae:

Willy
November 29th, 2009, 17:05
Great Job Ed! :ernae:

MM
November 29th, 2009, 17:42
Excellent flying, Ed. Well done. :icon29:

epwatson
November 30th, 2009, 04:07
Hey Ed, you sure you landed at the correct airfield?? your duenna says YMML not YMEN?

EasyEd
November 30th, 2009, 06:54
Hey All,

OOPS! Thats what happens when you watch a football game at the same time you land!:redf::redf:

Will fly that 4 miles this evening.

-Ed-

EdGeneer
November 30th, 2009, 08:43
Welcome to Melbourne, Ed!!!

Cold beer awaits ya at YMEN!!! :icon29:

Great Ozzie
November 30th, 2009, 12:08
Welcome to Melbourne, Ed!!!

Cold beer awaits ya at YMEN!!! :icon29:

Apparently he got word it was colder (the beer that is) at YMML. :bump:

EasyEd
November 30th, 2009, 16:51
Hey All,

The beer is colder at YMML but the company is better over here at YMEN! :mixedsmi: Slowest leg of the whole event for me - yet it went by so fast.... :bump:

Even got a few Kodaks.

1) Buzzing the commercials at YMML.
2) There it is after hours of straining my eyes!
3) Approach to YMEN
4) OOPS trying to get close enough to refuel after that long long flight. Odd where Aussies park their planes.

Once again a great event.

-Ed-

PS Such a short leg I didn't even bother announcing my intentions like normal - just flew it.
PSS That really blew my time estimate for the last leg!

MM
November 30th, 2009, 18:36
So much closer to the Windsor... We'll all lift one together, Ed.:icon29:

donlimpio
December 1st, 2009, 05:36
congrats Ed, fine Swiss plane, with fine Swiss watches installed