PDA

View Full Version : RE: Are these two aircraft still flying today?

brad kaste
October 30th, 2009, 07:02
....Just wondering,...while watching the military channel on cable today there was a program on the French Caravelle. France's first commercial jet airliner. Does anyone know if they're still flying today somewhere in the world,...maybe in lesser regions of the globe?
And the Boeing 707. Are any of these still in use?

Willy
October 30th, 2009, 07:46
I don't know about the Caravelle, but I suspect that there are still some 707s flying about somewhere.

Terry
October 30th, 2009, 07:50
I think John Travolta has a 707 parked outside his house. He lives in one of those areas where everyone has a ramp from their house to the airstrip.

Craig Taylor
October 30th, 2009, 08:22
There's a 707 being used as a flying test bed by some company in San Antonio. I don't remember the name offhand, but it pops up in search engines. Saw it from the terminal when I passed through a few months ago.

Ferry_vO
October 30th, 2009, 08:44
I don't think you'll find any flying Caravelles, but there will be a few 707's (and DC-8's) flying cargo in Africa.

Edit: Seems there's one flying Caravelle: C/n 251 is the last Caravelle still in active passenger service. Gabon Express, the owner, has the distinction of operating the type on scheduled services in South Africa

http://www.airliner-pics.com/caravelle/cn241-280.htm

Last Updated on <!--webbot bot="Timestamp" S-Type="EDITED" S-Format="%d.%m.%y" startspan -->26.05.09<!--webbot bot="Timestamp" i-checksum="13414" endspan -->

Lionheart
October 30th, 2009, 08:49
Johns 707 was parked out here at Deer Valley a few months ago. It was here all week. Pretty cool to see. They werent that huge, but man, back then, they were gigantic. Now, it seems like a little 737-200 is about as large, and the 737's engines are far more larger.

Comets look alot like Caravelles and there are still some Comets flying, especially European military Comets, (different names). I would keep searching. Surely there are a couple of them flying.

Too bad about Comets with their window cracks issues. That was their demise, along with engine noise from the internal wing mounted engines, (in the Comets that is).

Bill

Prowler1111
October 30th, 2009, 10:05
Only military comet i can think of is the British Nimrod, which is an evolution from the comet airframe.
Caravelles, dunno, not in south america
707, you bet, a LOT in military use all over south america(tankers, freighters, ViP, AEW) and a few as freighters, actually, i believe they are used as meat freighters in Argentina..
Prowler

srgalahad
October 30th, 2009, 13:42
and technically, since the 707 sprang from the same mold as the C-135, if you need a visual fix any C/KC-135 would do - even with the longevity mods they are more or less the same airframe.

For Civvie ones, yep, it'll be the 'lesser-known parts of the world'.. mostly...

This one is seen all over the place flying charters
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N88ZL&distinct_entry=true

Brian_Gladden
October 30th, 2009, 15:13
I used to see Pratt & Whitney's 707 test beds all the time over VT (Based in Montreal and I think moving to Platsburgh NY) Had mounts for a test engine in the place of #3, two pods on the sides of the aft fuselage and on of the 07's had a mount for a turboprop on the nose in place of the radar.

Brian

TeaSea
October 30th, 2009, 15:39
Mr. Galahad is correct....USAF calls theirs KC-135's. First ordered in 1954...expected to fly until around 2040.

Well, actually the KC-135 is a little different than the 707, but they both derive from the original -80. Not sure which came first though....

TomSteber
October 30th, 2009, 17:34
Travolta came to Oshkosh last year(?) with his 707.
I guess star power exists there too because they let him leave after 10:00PM with it (airport closed).

Oglivie
October 30th, 2009, 21:07
...still flying from Selfridge here in Michigan and else wheres.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-114049592/changing-times-selfridge-beale.html

Alain_F355
October 31st, 2009, 04:28
The E-3 Awacs planes are also modified 707's.

Bjoern
October 31st, 2009, 13:27
Comets look alot like Caravelles

No surprise, since some DeHavilland designers have helped out their french colleagues back when the Caravelle was in development. ;)

Mr. Galahad is correct....USAF calls theirs KC-135's. First ordered in 1954...expected to fly until around 2040.

Well, actually the KC-135 is a little different than the 707, but they both derive from the original -80. Not sure which came first though....

The KC-135 was first. It also has a somehow narrower fuselage than the 707.