PDA

View Full Version : Any airport designers bored? (request)

DB93
October 28th, 2009, 18:44
Hi all.

I've been flying FSX since release, and while I enjoy flying in all different areas of the world, I tend to fly around Florida the most. I like to fly out of my local airport (who doesn't lol), which is Gilbert Airport (KGIF) in Winter Haven, FL. In FSX, it's just a single runway that doesn't come close to resembling the real airport, and there's no updated version available (including payware).

Adjacent to Gilbert is Jack Brown's seaplane base, which has fortunately already been updated to be more accurate by Daniel Kemmer. Since they're both essentially one airport, it's almost like half the job is already done lol.

I've also upgraded a number of additional Florida airports that were created by Jim Dhaenens, Art Poole, Jim Cook and Ray Smith, that have made a tremendous difference to a great deal of the airports around the state, and I'd love Gilbert to get a little love.

So, if there are any airport designers out there that are bored and looking for something to work on, I'd love to request Gilbert (KGIF). I don't expect custom objects or anything that time-intensive. I'd just like to have both runways to be accurate as well as the placement of the buildings.

If not, thanks for at least taking the time to read this. :)

Thanks,
-George

falcon409
October 28th, 2009, 18:54
I'm up for that if no one else wants to take it. I do know that JoeW has done a great many Florida Airports already, have you checked his addons here?

As I said tho, barring that I'll be more than happy to take it on.

MCDesigns
October 28th, 2009, 19:06
I just d/led the photoreal for it, pretty good res, on it. If you want to do it, go for it ed, otherwise I'll give it a shot.

george, any chance of getting some images of the buildings on site?

falcon409
October 28th, 2009, 19:10
Sounds like you're already ahead on this Michael, especially asking for actual building images. You've got it.

MCDesigns
October 28th, 2009, 19:22
I just figured since he flies out of there, he would have some access and it would help whomever was going to do it

D/Ling the photoreal is what I use as a base now which is why I went ahead and checked it out. If you want it Ed, it's yours, just say the word.

I see what ya mean about runway and building accuracy, it is a bit off.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1733/winterhaven.jpg

Greenhouse357
October 28th, 2009, 19:24
That would be great guys! My hometown airport also. Thanks!

falcon409
October 28th, 2009, 19:31
Nope, you're well on the way. I can no longer download hi-res images via SBX, so I'd be wasting my time and you'll produce a far better end product by doing it in photoreal.

DB93
October 28th, 2009, 19:48
Wow! Thanks for the responses, falcon409 and MCDesigns (or Michael, if that's ok.) :)

I've checked Joe Watson's stuff (including his payware sceneries), but unfortunately, Gilbert isn't one of them. :\

For pictures of the buildings, I could probably take a ride over there on Saturday. Even though it's only on the opposite side of the lake that's down the street from my house, it's too far to walk, and my wife has the car during the day. I've driven past it tons of times, but I've never set foot in there as I'm not a real-world pilot here, just a long-time desktop one lol. The main terminal building is visible and accessible from the road, but I don't know if I would be allowed to wander around the outside of the building taking pictures of it. The one good picture I could find on the internet is from the road side (which is where I'd probably have to take my pictures from,) so I'm not sure if I could get photos of the side that actually faces into the airport. :P

Here's the site with a good shot of the terminal building, but it doesn't show all sides.
http://www.winterhavenairservices.com/

Here's a website I found that has all the runway and other airport information:
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KGIF (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KGIF)

Thanks for offering to do this. I'm sure if you go to KGIF in FSX, and then look at any of the many aerial shots on, for example google image search, you'll easily see just how under-done this airport is. The first link also has an aerial shot on the right-hand side below the ads. If you look at that aerial shot, look at the two-lane roadway on the left-hand side of the screen. The airport building that you see closest to that road is the terminal building. The rest of the buildings (as far as I've been able to tell) are just hangars.

Thanks again, and please let me know anything else I can do. :)

crashaz
October 28th, 2009, 19:54
Great job stepping up fellas... I took a peek and that area probably needs a land water mask as well I would bet.

MCDesigns
October 28th, 2009, 19:55
No problem George. If you can get some shots inside, that would be great, if not, the default will work. Actually this airport isn't that far off from the FSX version compared to many others. Thanks for the links.

DB93
October 28th, 2009, 19:56
That would be great guys! My hometown airport also. Thanks!

Hi Greenhouse357,

Great to see another person from the area that also would like to see this done. :) You don't happen to fly there at all (in real life), do you? Just wondering if perhaps you may have better access to the airport than I, and might be able to get better pictures of the terminal, especially the side that faces into the airport.

Anyhow, great to see another, well, 'airport neighbor' lol. :D

MCDesigns
October 28th, 2009, 20:03
Great job stepping up fellas... I took a peek and that area probably needs a land water mask as well I would bet.

Actually only a small one for the lake at the end of the runway that is inside the blend. after doing the blend, the rest lines up pretty well.

Now comes the fun part of color correction, LOL.

George, one possible problem, are you using UTX? I'm not and it might not line up correctly.

DB93
October 28th, 2009, 20:19
Hi Michael,

No, don't have UTX, so it should line up fine for me, but I also don't know if there would be any alignment issues for anyone who may be using it.

Thanks again for this, It's getting me really excited to finally be able to fly in and out of Gilbert as it should be. :)

crashaz
October 28th, 2009, 20:44
Cool stuff... why I love hanging out here... people always offering to pitch in a helping hand! :wavey:

DB93
October 28th, 2009, 20:59
Cool stuff... why I love hanging out here... people always offering to pitch in a helping hand! :wavey:

I can't help but agree. Everyone on this site that I've encountered, have been great, helpful, and just plain nice! :applause:

Tylerb59
October 29th, 2009, 00:02
Way to step up, guys! :applause:

Boomer
October 29th, 2009, 04:46
Ya'll a bunch of enablers... Cant you see Michael has an addiction? LOL

Looks great as always MC :ernae:

Snuffy
October 29th, 2009, 04:48
Didn't JoeW do a whole mess of small Floridian airports? This might be done already.

Snuffy
October 29th, 2009, 04:51
Just checked ...

Try these: http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/buy-here/

falcon409
October 29th, 2009, 05:22
Doesn't look like this one is included.

DB93
October 29th, 2009, 06:06
Hi Snuffy,

Unfortunately, KGIF is not listed as one of the airports in any of Joe Watson's Central Florida GA Airports volumes. Since I also haven't been able to find any freeware versions, and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to airport design (which is way-way-way over my head lol), I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. In the end, I'm just thankful for such a great community, with people who are willing to help out those of us who have no talent or ability for making things like airports. :)

MCDesigns
October 29th, 2009, 06:20
Hi George, quick question. I just looked at Daniel Kemmer's scenery for the seaplane base. Since I am doing a photoreal background, I am more apt to redo that part also to match the real thing more. is that ok, or do you want to keep with his version?

I also just tooled around the airport in street view, if you can get some images of the main terminal that would be helpful, otherwise, everything else is looking fine.

DB93
October 29th, 2009, 06:29
Hi George, quick question. I just looked at Daniel Kemmer's scenery for the seaplane base. Since I am doing a photoreal background, I am more apt to redo that part also to match the real thing more. is that ok, or do you want to keep with his version?

I also just tooled around the airport in street view, if you can get some images of the main terminal that would be helpful, otherwise, everything else is looking fine.

I think it would be great if you included Jack Brown's seaplane base! I mentioned that I use Daniel Kemmer's scenery figuring that it would make it easier for whoever decided to do KGIF since that part already has an updated version available, but I would more than welcome an updated photoreal version. :)

Thanks again, Michael, for your time and effort. It really is greatly appreciated. :)

JoeW
October 29th, 2009, 07:29
I started to do this one, but found it to be a pain because of an elevation problem.

Greenhouse357
October 29th, 2009, 08:01
Hi George, I'm not a real world pilot unfortunatly. I've always hoped this airport would be redone one day. So I really appreciate the effort, Michael! There is a new terminal close to the highway now that isn't quite in your shot, Michael. You can drive in the opposite side where the old terminal was. I too could probably get some pictures Saturday if needed. Let me know and thanks again!