PDA

View Full Version : Joystick Recommendations?

LTCSZ
October 28th, 2009, 09:02
Well, today I had to bury my faithful old MS Sidewinder joystick...Think I have had it for about 6 years...Anyway, I would appreciate suggestions on what is out there to replace it...I want a one piece stick...No room for a separate throttle or a yoke...Budget is about $150 max...Really appreciate your assistance...Don't know how long I can stand flying with the keyboard!

Steve

kilo delta
October 28th, 2009, 09:06
Another MS Sidewinder !!:engel016::icon_lol:
I've been using my Sidewinder II force feedback stick for around 5 years and still love it.:)

letsgetrowdy
October 28th, 2009, 09:11
Well, I've had a fair few joystick problems.

For 4 years I've had a Logitech 3D Pro, but within the last few months, the yaw-axis has been playing up. Now, it's completly screwed up, and I'm stuck in a constant hard right yaw, and no matter how much I calibrated it, it just wouldn't point straight.
So I went and bought some Saiteck rudder pedals to link up with my Logitech stick, which apart from the yaw, worked fine. So now I have the perfect set up for me, nice, responsive, rudder pedals for yaw, and a good old Logitech stick.
Nothing could make me change this configuration - Get both of these, you really won't regret it!

Kiwikat
October 28th, 2009, 09:27
My Cyborg X died yesterday. I am so tired of going through joysticks like this. Seems like every 6 months I have to get a new one.

I just ordered a X52 Pro. Hopefully it won't break right away!

wtudor
October 28th, 2009, 09:31
Get another MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 on eBay. I bought a spare on ebay just in case my faithful one dies. They are usually readily available.

Wayne

2Low
October 28th, 2009, 09:36
One I would not recommend is the Satiek Aviator. I tried it and didn't like it, returned it after 2 days and bought the x52. It felt too, um, insubstantial? Light and cheap. I found it uncomfortable, some might like it but I didn't.

I've never tried any other one piece units so I can't make any suggestions.

Lotus
October 28th, 2009, 09:52
I really miss the old school Thrustmaster FLCS and TQS, back when they were made out of something other than cardboard and had great potentiometers in them. Mine lasted 12 years before finally giving out, and that's putting up with 2-4 hours of use per day easy. Epic. Sadly nowadays they're just plastic rubbish imo. The X52 pro is what I got to replace it 2 years ago, works as well as the day I got it, but I do still miss the good TM stuff for overall feel and resistance. ;)

-Mike

Mathias
October 28th, 2009, 10:04
Another MS Sidewinder !!:engel016::icon_lol:

That was my first thought, too.
I think I said so several times over the past weeks in various topics here, but I have yet to find an FFB stick that comes even close to M$ Sidewinder.
All sad toys that I tested so far.
Will be looking into the Logitech G940 once I get the "govermental" ok but my expectations are not so high regarding the force feedback based on past experience with Logiteck sticks and that a different price league anyway.
On the other hand, the few guys who commented on the FF in public said it's quite good.

kilo delta
October 28th, 2009, 10:12
That was my first thought, too.
I think I said so several times over the past weeks in various topics here, but I have yet to find an FFB stick that comes even close to M$ Sidewinder.
All sad toys that I tested so far.
Will be looking into the Logitech G940 once I get the "govermental" ok but my expectations are not so high regarding the force feedback based on past experience with Logiteck sticks and that a different price league anyway.
On the other hand, the few guys who commented on the FF in public said it's quite good.

I too have been looking at the G940....might ask Santa for it!:icon_lol:

Wild Bill Kelso
October 28th, 2009, 10:23
I've been using the Saitek X52 ("non-pro") for about 3 years now and I still love it!
Still haven't tried out all of its features, but my custom assignment of flaps, gear, AP, ATC, pitch trim, prop RPM, cowl flaps and differential brakes to its various toggles and switches works great!

Cheers,
Markus.

lefty
October 28th, 2009, 10:38
One I would not recommend is the Saitek Aviator. I some might like it but I didn't.

Yes, I'm one of those who do ! However, for a lefty, Saitek is the only option anyway - Microsoft doesn't acknowledge that 10% of the population actually exist...... Sorry, that's an old hobbyhorse, but still true. Bless Saitek.
I haven't found my AV8R flimsy at all !

Mithrin
October 28th, 2009, 10:56
I'm with everyone that tell you to get another Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback II, there has never been a better joystick. Perfect grip, great response, enough buttons, twist rudder, throttle slider.

JamesChams
October 28th, 2009, 11:12
Gents,

If anyone's interested, I have a ThrustMaster PFCS (Pressure-sensitive Stick), WCS Mark II (Throttle), & RCS (Rudder Pedals) it peak condition (including original boxes, manuals, and disk drivers) for sale with custom-made metal desk mounting brackets. The only reason I stopped using it was because I have too many Joysticks already. If you are interested, PM me for photos. Also, the price is negotiable but, you must pay the shipping.

I also have a CH Products Flight Sim Yoke (with throttle/mixture/prop levers) (USB) and the ProPedals (USB) for sale if you'd prefer a yoke setup.

I'll post pic.'s when I get home, if you'll would like or PM them instead.

LTCSZ
October 28th, 2009, 11:58
Thanks for all the advice...Think I will see if I can find another MS joystick on eBay...I really did like that stick...

Steve

spotlope
October 28th, 2009, 12:52
The last time I looked, there were still a few Sidewinder II's on Ebay. I got mine there, used, five or six years ago. It's still performing like a champ.

harleyman
October 28th, 2009, 14:21
I have that same stick...Its their drivers..At least for me it always has been.

Their website has better drivers that may cure your Y axis...Did for me...

Well, I've had a fair few joystick problems.

For 4 years I've had a Logitech 3D Pro, but within the last few months, the yaw-axis has been playing up. Now, it's completly screwed up, and I'm stuck in a constant hard right yaw, and no matter how much I calibrated it, it just wouldn't point straight.
So I went and bought some Saiteck rudder pedals to link up with my Logitech stick, which apart from the yaw, worked fine. So now I have the perfect set up for me, nice, responsive, rudder pedals for yaw, and a good old Logitech stick.
Nothing could make me change this configuration - Get both of these, you really won't regret it!

Skywolf
October 28th, 2009, 16:48
I too have been looking at the G940....might ask Santa for it!:icon_lol:

:icon_lol:....Already got one. Works like a charm. Take a little to get set up though.

letsgetrowdy
October 29th, 2009, 03:35
I have that same stick...Its their drivers..At least for me it always has been.

Their website has better drivers that may cure your Y axis...Did for me...

Yeh, I did install new drivers, but they didn't work either. The rudder pedals go so nisely with the stick, which I like because unlike many others it is quite stiff...

harleyman
October 29th, 2009, 03:40
Worth a try then..

Look on the bright side..Ya got new pedals....:applause:

ananda
October 29th, 2009, 03:44
I'm greedy, I have two. I've had an MS FF2 for years and bought another about 6 months ago on eBay :jump:

I've had various Saitek offerings but always returned to the Sidewinders.

dswo
October 29th, 2009, 04:15
My experience with the X52 Pro wasn't so happy: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=24004. I ended up going back to my very used X45 throttle and Sidewinder Precision. If I ever replace the stick, it'll probably be with a new CH Products Fighterstick or used Sidewinder FF.