PDA

View Full Version : What An Odd Airport ?

FAC257
October 27th, 2009, 14:10
So far in all the time I've been flying FSX, this airport may have the most serious case of identity crisis I've seen yet. :isadizzy: :)

It's Ospika(CBA9) in Canada. Not sure if it's the true default look as I've got both FSG and UTX-Canada running also. Pretty darn funny.

BTW
I ran across this while on the down hill stretch of the Piper Cub world tour I've been on. Just passed south of Edmonton a little bit ago heading for a US border crossing into North Dakota. At last check, 17,800 flight miles and 330 flight hours. Should be make it back to the original departure base, completing the trip sometime this weekend.
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=19649

FAC

IanP
October 27th, 2009, 14:21
That looks like an accurate coastline (probably from UTX) clashing nicely with an inaccurately positioned airport (probably ACES)... They tend to happen quite a lot, unfortunately.

I've done replacement AFD files for a few airports which have started with picking up the default airport, excluding its flatten and putting the runway a hundred yards or so away, so it is where the real runway is. ;)

Lionheart
October 27th, 2009, 14:27
That is a wild airfield! lol...

Shoulda brought my floats...

Next day; Shoulda brought my wheels..

Next day after that; Shoulda brought my skis..

Makes for some challenging landings.

Bill

FAC257
October 27th, 2009, 14:27
I just made sure I stayed on the runway, as I wasn't sure I could switch from floats, to tundra tires, to skis and then back to floats fast enough. :)

FAC

falcon409
October 27th, 2009, 14:31
Based on the satellite imagery, the sim rwy should be maybe 25 to 30yds off the coastline and the end of the rwy showing to be out in the water actually stops right at the edge of the coastline. Yea, just a bit off, lol.

I just redid another airport in Quebec for one of our members and that airport was easily a half mile off from the actual airport location.

Ferry_vO
October 27th, 2009, 14:59
Mine's still default and looks OK; thanks for pointing out another beautiful area in FsX!

kjb
October 27th, 2009, 15:13
It gives a whole new meaning to "land and hold short"...lest you go swimming.

FAC257
October 27th, 2009, 15:42
Mine's still default and looks OK; thanks for pointing out another beautiful area in FsX!

This section of the trip has been one of my favorites as far as beautiful flying scenery. It's not an area that I can ever remember spending much time in any FS version. I cut across into Canada just NW of Juneau and flew the angle towards Edmonton across the Canadian Rockies. Instead of the high route over the top I've been taking my time and doing a lot of valley flying.

I think these were taken inbound for Ft.Ware (CAJ9).

FAC

runswithscissors
October 28th, 2009, 06:31
Hey, finally something in my backyard! And to think that I have physically been to Ft Ware and Ospika. They are both on Wiliston lake which was created by our local power authority to generate power via the WAC Bennett dam. Here is a link http://www.flyingcanuck.ca/airport.php?id=908
Doug
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: