PDA

View Full Version : Good OEM gaming system? HP e9280f

Moparmike
October 27th, 2009, 08:52
Found this while shopping for parts this morning...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147038&cm_re=Core_i7-_-83-147-038-_-Product

HP e9280f desktop
i7 920 (2.66GHzx4)
9Gb RAM DDR3 1066
Nvidia GTX260 1768Mb (dual DVI)
1Tb HDD
7.1 onboard audio
Win7 Home Premium
$1250 + S&H (Haven't looked for any coupons or cheaper stores yet)

How would this fare as an FS9/FSX system?
Does HP use a proprietary PSU format? Doesn't look like it from the little info I've found online.

I'm getting tired of trying to squeeze time to shop & build my next rig so I'm starting to look at out-of-the-box options.

stansdds
October 27th, 2009, 15:26
HP has a habit of putting absolute minimum power supplies in their computers, so that may present an obstacle for later upgrades and some of their PSU's are proprietary.

I really have a hard time recommending someone buy an off-the-shelf computer when you can save money by building one.

Moparmike
October 27th, 2009, 20:24
Thanks for the input Stan.

I know OEM boxes are usually equipped with bare minimum PSUs, was just wondering if anyone here had a current HP and if they are proprietary or not...the full size towers do have a standard footpint PSU. Just wasn't sure about the cabling.

As for the price...
To get all the components that I need to upgrade, I'm looking at nearly the same pricetag to build or buy. I'd have only been saving a couple hundred by building with components...and that's without replacing the case, PSU, and OS. those could use updating anyway. All in all...what I've got in mind, build or buy is a wash pricewise.