PDA

View Full Version : Want a SU-27?

Marlin
October 26th, 2009, 23:07
U.S. Firm Selling Su-27s To Civilians
by James Dunnigan (http://jimdunnigan.com/)
October 26, 2009

An American company is offering two Su-27 fighters, for the bargain price of $5 million each. The aircraft are demilitarized, but recently refurbished. Since the refurbishment, the aircraft have been in the air only 16 hours, and the engines only have 19 hours of use. The aircraft were purchased, from Ukraine, last year by an American firm (Tac Air), to assist the U.S. Air Force is determining how the Su-27 performs. This work is apparently done, and now the Su-27s are no longer needed. The electronics are up to date, and qualified maintenance services are available, in Nevada (where Tac Air is located).
The two-seat aircraft was refurbished in Ukraine last year, and received further upgrades and modification in the United States earlier this year. There are dozens of flyable demilitarized jet fighters owned by American collectors, and the two Su-27s are expected to sell.
Russia's Sukhoi aircraft company has sold over a billion dollars worth of these aircraft (plus components and technical services for them) a year for the last few years. Sukhoi mainly supplies Su-27/30 jet fighters to India, China, Malaysia, Venezuela and Algeria. The 33 ton Su-27 is similar to the U.S. F-15, but costs over a third less.
Developed near the end of the Cold War, the aircraft is one of the best fighters Russia has ever produced. The government helped keep Sukhoi alive during the 1990s, and even supplied money for development of an improved version of the Su-27, which was called the Su-30. This proved to be an outstanding aircraft, and is the main one Sukhoi produces. There are now several Su-30 variants, and major upgrades. While only about 700 Su-27s were produced (mostly between 1984, when it entered service, and the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991), add Su-30 production and you have over 1,000 aircraft (including license built ones in China and India).

djscoo
October 27th, 2009, 08:26
Alright...lets pass around a hat, then set up some sort of timeshare system so we all get to be part-owners.
Who's in?

Lateral-G
October 27th, 2009, 09:13
Are these the ones located in Northern Illinois?

$5 million may sound cheap and in the end the cost of the airplane will be the least expensive part of the whole deal.

All I can say is if you buy one you better have a ton of money for operating and maintenance costs. Because those will be 10x or more of the purchase price......

-G-

Eoraptor1
October 27th, 2009, 14:37
No longer needed. I'm surprised the Air Force didn't use them as Aggressors.

JAMES

Railrunner130
October 28th, 2009, 09:43
No, these are in NV. I believe they are seperate from the ones in IL.

I saw one at WPAFB on a stick in 2002. I think the museum there has one also.

You'd think they'd be bought by a contractor that does aggressor training.

Part of this read that "the engines only have 19 hours of use." I think this means since overhaul. I've seen some SU-27s that I'm sure had many, many more hours than that on their engines. They're a brute of an airplane and would most likely hold up very well as warbirds. Keeping fuel in it... well, that's another story.

Lateral-G
October 28th, 2009, 11:22
Part of this read that "the engines only have 19 hours of use." I think this means since overhaul. I've seen some SU-27s that I'm sure had many, many more hours than that on their engines. They're a brute of an airplane and would most likely hold up very well as warbirds. Keeping fuel in it... well, that's another story.

I wonder if theses newer Russian engines are better than what we had in the Constant Peg birds. The main problem I've read is that the Russian/Soviet philosophy was to just replace the engine with a new one when it was time. Very different than USAF/Navy maintenance procedures.

You might have a hard time getting spare parts or tech pubs for servicing. Like I said, buying the airframes would be the cheapest part of the entire proposition. Fuel and maintenance will eat your lunch.

-G-

n4gix
October 28th, 2009, 11:29
...not to mention insurance! :bump:

Bjoern
October 28th, 2009, 12:04
Maybe one could trade them in for some MiG-23s...

Railrunner130
October 28th, 2009, 22:28
I know where there is a MiG-23 for sale. http://www.aeroenterprises.net/

Personally, I think you'd be better off with the 27. As for spares, I saw one where they ran out of washers and used bottle caps! I really don't think you'd need much for spares.

Bjoern
October 29th, 2009, 10:13
I know where there is a MiG-23 for sale. http://www.aeroenterprises.net/

Not seeing anything on their page.

But it's okay. There's a lot of countries out there that would sell theirs.