PDA

View Full Version : JockHA / Golden Age / DC-2 Uiver

JockHA
October 25th, 2009, 10:37
We also need a DC-2 in the race.

As I could not get on the www.sim-outhouse.com (http://www.sim-outhouse.com) I created a thread at www.avsim.com (http://www.avsim.com).
I just found out that the three www was not valid any longer (it worked yesterday).

Edit: Now www.sim-outhouse.com (http://www.sim-outhouse.com) works. It must have been my browser making fummy things.

JockHA
October 25th, 2009, 10:41
Postings at correct times at www.avsim.com (http://www.avsim.com).

Here are the Duennas for th 7.5 hour flight.

Willy
October 25th, 2009, 11:24
Glad to see the DC-2 and thanks for entering it.

MM
October 25th, 2009, 11:41
Great to see such an excellent long run into Bucharest. The Uiver is a legend!

JockHA
November 4th, 2009, 07:40
Time get in the air again, loaded with 3 pilots, full fuel and a lot of coffee.
:engel016:

JockHA
November 4th, 2009, 10:17
Just passed NDB BUK (Ankara, Turkey).
Specific Range (nm/gal) calculations based on burned fuel lookes fine for destination Bagdad.

JockHA
November 4th, 2009, 11:19
Engine fire warning. I overboosted them. :banghead:

I was able to keep enough speed to land "safe" in between some mountains.

Not sure how this penalized yet and how to carry on.

JockHA
November 4th, 2009, 11:35
Some pictures from the accident scene.

Moses03
November 4th, 2009, 11:40
Firstly, nice recovery in getting her down safely Jock!

Landing near LTAU or any field in Turkey for the Golden Age Class, is not a Prepared Refueling Point so unfortunately you get hit with an one hour "Uncertainty Cost". You can then continue on from LTAU (or another airport nearest your landing spot no closer to ORBI) without further penalty.

Great Ozzie
November 4th, 2009, 12:32
Engine fire warning. I overboosted them. :banghead:

I was able to keep enough speed to land "safe" in between some mountains.

Well done finding a place to land Jock and executing a safe off-field landing. :applause:

I've had that happen too... even after "someone" warned me to be careful (tho you probably remember). :redface:

Fire suppression didn't work btw?

MaddogK
November 4th, 2009, 18:29
Whoa, nice save there Jock. A real bit of luck getting down in one piece. It's almost criminal that 2 smoked engines, a tow to the airfield and refuelling is only gonna cost you an hour, I'm thinking you stole your race worths of good luck in one incident. Good work, and good luck you you.
:ernae:

RFields
November 4th, 2009, 18:53
I had one of those problem landings last time we did this race. It was over eastern Iran with the DH-89 Dragon Rapide.

I apparently hit the M key and turned off the magentos. Successfully glided into a landing on the fairly flat desert. Made a decent takeoff after I figured out the problem.

Moses03
November 5th, 2009, 06:36
A (1) hour penalty is being applied on Jock’s first run. The 15,000’ hard ceiling for Golden Age aircraft was exceeded. It should be noted that Jock was not intentionally violating the rule. He had forgotten about the altitude restrictions and accepted the penalty.

Moses for the Committee.

srgalahad
November 5th, 2009, 07:14
Rumours are circulating in Hollywood that there is a planned remake of a remake of a movie.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/03/Flight_of_the_Phoenix_%281965%29.jpg/200px-Flight_of_the_Phoenix_%281965%29.jpg

Could this have been a secret location-scouting diversion? Do we get a share of possible royalties?

JockHA
November 5th, 2009, 11:25
You were not supposed to reveal that information.

Sorry, but now you have lost your part of the royalties.

JockHA
November 7th, 2009, 05:04
After a quick (1 hour penalty) on spot repair of the engines,
we continue with same fuel to Bagdad.

JockHA
November 7th, 2009, 08:22
Arrived in Bagdad after a nice and uneventfull flight.

JockHA
November 7th, 2009, 08:28
Duenna say I landed 1.6 nm from OR0S, but I did land at ORBI 15L.
That can be verified by the attached FSX Flight Analysis.

OR0S is very close to ORBI.

Moses03
November 7th, 2009, 09:03
No problem here Jock. Please continue on.

salt_air
November 7th, 2009, 12:58
Nice recovery Jock!,

I tried everything I knew to get to where I would be able to fly that plane in this event.

I guess I was just a little bit too heavy handed with always looking for more speed.

I just couldn't settled down enough to be satisfied with close enough and enjoy the ride. It's really a great model and a lot of fun to fly,,,,even the right way....:icon_lol:

Anybody that flies that plane is going to have a mis-hap or maybe two,,,,[quick,,,knock on wood!]

Super job getting it down in one piece and keeping cool,,,better still to get back up and finish the trip.

Best of luck all the way to Melbourne!

RFields
November 7th, 2009, 17:45
Duenna say I landed 1.6 nm from OR0S, but I did land at ORBI 15L.
That can be verified by the attached FSX Flight Analysis.

OR0S is very close to ORBI.

This reading in Duenna is well known from our RTW experience.

The reference point for ORBS in FS2004 is located at the takeoff end of Rwy 31L. The FSX reference point for ORBI is located near the main terminal.

Duenna uses it's own database of airport locations based on FS2002/2004 data to determine the distance of the aircraft to the nearest airport. It does not use a different airport position database for different versions of FS.

While you were on the runway at ORBI, you were 1.6 nm from the reference point in the middle of the runway at OR0S. You were also about 2 nm from the ORBS reference point.

If you check the posts of other folks for their Baghdad landings - almost everyone who landed on Rwy 15L has the same result showing the landing as being nearest OR0S.

This is an issue for many places in FSX because almost all airports moved at least a few hundred feet with the new round world model.

Whenever we see such an issue that is not already known - we check the position reported in the Duenna file with AFCAD or a similar utility for FS2004 or FSX, whichever version the pilot was using.

The attachment shows the spot where Duenna recorded your aircraft as stopping.

JockHA
November 10th, 2009, 07:16
Going down the coast Jask (OIZJ).

JockHA
November 10th, 2009, 12:10
I had to take a little tour around the airport as there was no lights at all on the runway or in the airport.

Edit: Added screen print of landing flight analysis.

JockHA
November 10th, 2009, 12:16
Thanks Salt,

I just thought I had to do this the right way, by taking off from the same spot.

You really have to be carefull and watch the engine fire lights when it pushed to the limit.
I fly it at 31 MAP and 2200 RPM during cruise.
Then it keeps a good speed.

JockHA
November 10th, 2009, 23:39
Heading for Karachi in daylight.

JockHA
November 11th, 2009, 02:39
I was out of the cockpit for some coffey.
When I came back FS was locked.
Duenna says crashed, but no e.g overspeed.
I have no idea what my First Officer has been doing.

Bry Rosier
November 11th, 2009, 03:05
Looking at your text file Jock it at first appears your engines stopped !! Fire , overheat , fuel starvation , Icing , dont know which but it definately stalled at 11,000 ft and floated down into the sea :(

epwatson
November 11th, 2009, 03:39
Looking at your text file Jock it at first appears your engines stopped !! Fire , overheat , fuel starvation , Icing , dont know which but it definately stalled at 11,000 ft and floated down into the sea :(

Looks like "Otto" struck again..

It would help the investigation a bit if duenna tracked a few more variables, but then again the text file would be enormous.

Maybe a blackbox application should be developed.. LOL :)

JockHA
November 11th, 2009, 08:04
I think you are right, fuel.

I was working on my work PC :icon_lol: while flying,
and forgot the flying.
So I probaly forgot to switch fuel tanks.:gameoff:

JockHA
November 11th, 2009, 08:12
Is it 3 hr penalty (second time down) and restart at OIZJ ?

Moses03
November 11th, 2009, 09:07
Sorry, it is a 3 hr penalty. You don't have to restart from OIZJ though. You can resume at a nearby airfield (point of crash) along the flightpath no nearer to the original destination.

I would sack your First Officer immediately!

MM
November 11th, 2009, 09:18
Jock,

[Sorry to repeat Moses--was preparing the answer as he posted. Here are a few more details.]

You are right, though you have another option.
(a) You can take the 3 hour penalty and restart from you previous departure airport
(b) You can take the 3 hour penalty plus an additional 2 hour penalty plus the recorded flight time thus far. You may then place your aircraft at an airport along your flightpath no closer to your destination. You then (optionally) refuel and recommence your journey. (The airport need not be a "prepared airport.")
Option (a) is better for "Race Time." Option (b) accepts further penalty time but you need not fly the leg again.

The times involved are:
(a) 3 hour penalty and restart in OIZJ.
(b) 5 hour penalty plus 02:10:33 recorded flight time and restart in OPPI.
So you may choose either option.

Sounds like the DC-2 is an interesting aircraft to manage over long distances! :cool:

Moses03
November 11th, 2009, 09:22
NP Mike. Your explaination was better.

JockHA
November 11th, 2009, 10:15
My race gene tells me to go for option a.
That I will do, and send the FO home.
Hope the new one is better :icon_lol:

The DC-2 is a little sensitive. Needs monitoring all the time.
You have tried it yourself during Around the World race, landing on one engine.:medals:

JockHA
November 16th, 2009, 08:08
I have changed to the new FSX version. She is modelled much more realistic.

This bird is a "she".
Test flight have shown she is very sensible to how she is operated.

Do not try to change the fuel tanks without turning on the booster pump, otherwise the engines will stop.

If not veeery carefull with throttle and propeller handles, the Cylinder Head Temperatures will cause engine fire.

I need one more test flight before I am ready to try again.
I have had enough penalties until now.

JockHA
November 17th, 2009, 07:09
After change of aircraft to new DC-2 FSX, a number test flights with following change of engines, propellers and landing gear, we are off again.

Oh did I forget to tell that I have also got a new co-pilot.
The old one was too sloppy.
I really hope this will help, because I need that (help). :icon_lol:

JockHA
November 17th, 2009, 10:41
Nice and quite flight.

Co-pilot performed fine.

JockHA
November 19th, 2009, 07:37
Off to Allahabad.

JockHA
November 19th, 2009, 13:00
My co-pilot is quit good.
Monitors the flight nicely.

He has now learned that extending Flaps above 87 kts, damages the hydraulic system, so you can not use the brakes during landing. :applause:
That actually happened in Karachi, so the aircraft kepr rolling. :isadizzy:

salt_air
November 20th, 2009, 03:54
I have changed to the new FSX version. She is modelled much more realistic.

This bird is a "she".
Test flight have shown she is very sensible to how she is operated.

Do not try to change the fuel tanks without turning on the booster pump, otherwise the engines will stop.

If not veeery carefull with throttle and propeller handles, the Cylinder Head Temperatures will cause engine fire.

I need one more test flight before I am ready to try again.
I have had enough penalties until now.

Definitely a she Jock!,,,,maybe even a brat sometimes too...:icon_lol:.

Cowl flap settings can do wonders for CHT quickly.

That plane demands constant attention both airspeed and ALL temperatures. High CHT will take you out quick if not caught and adjustments made early.

Sometimes I'm relieved that I decided not to have to manage those things for the length of this event, but now that I'm done, I wish I had flown her and put up with all of her "mess". It would have been a much richer experience to look back on.

You deserve special recognition for flying such a realistic flight model under race conditions. I have never been able to race or compete and be conservative at the same time, prolly why I've had so many injurys,,,,good thing I have a hard head....:icon_lol:.

Hat's off to ya Jock!

JockHA
November 20th, 2009, 07:50
Cowl flap settings can do wonders for CHT quickly.

Would be nice, but can't find them ?
I wnet striaght to the manual, but :blind:

Sometimes I'm relieved that I decided not to have to manage those things for the length of this event, but now that I'm done, I wish I had flown her and put up with all of her "mess". It would have been a much richer experience to look back on.

Yes, did opposite.
I get a lot of experience, but it's difficult to compete this time.
Hopefull next time I will do better. :icon_lol:
After 50 years of sailboat racing, I am still a racer.

salt_air
November 20th, 2009, 16:38
I had forgotten about that Jock....:173go1:.

All the more credit for your efforts then.

JockHA
November 22nd, 2009, 02:33
Headwind ahead.

Ferry_vO
November 22nd, 2009, 03:11
Would be nice, but can't find them ?
I wnet striaght to the manual, but :blind:

There are no cowl flaps on a DC-2!

In FS the RPM seems to have the most effect on the CHT, even more than the MP. Also do not attempt to climb too steeply with too much power. If you reduce RPM and throttle directly after take-off to 2,000 RPM and 30" MP you can fly until the fuel runs out. Do not increase the RPM until you are on very short final.

Good luck with the rest of your race, and thanks for flying the DC-2!

JockHA
November 22nd, 2009, 05:19
Thanks for info.
That also what I found out.
CHT is directly related to RPM.
The most I can get out of teh new DC2 is 156 KTAS.
In order to keep the CHT at or below continous max (205 dgrC) I have to use not more than 1910 RPM.
I am not sure how much above 205 you can go.

JockHA
November 22nd, 2009, 07:16
Nice flight until final approach.
Somehow the flaps were extended.
Maybe my co-pilot fumbled with the flap ahndle.
Well, hydraulic system failed.
So I had to repair it .
(pump off, close valve to hydrauliv tank., open again and pump to main)
This worked.

Had to take a circle and then land.

JockHA
November 23rd, 2009, 07:25
Off again

JockHA
November 23rd, 2009, 10:52
The landing ended a little tail-up, but as my former boss said,
"every landing you can walk away from is succesfull".
He is a retired FC.

The DC-2 very easy do this if you usetoo much braking.