PDA

View Full Version : RA Spitfire, opinions?

tracyq144
October 25th, 2009, 08:10
First had this in FS9, now in FSX. No regrets, I really like it, but...

I just wonder what other's opinions on the flight model are? Between never even seeing one in real life, flying a Spit in Il-2 and BoB, and the RA model, I just wonder which is close to reality, or if none of them are.

Specifically, the MK9 model.

MudMarine
October 25th, 2009, 08:56
I've never flown a spit but I think the RA spitfire is one of the nicest addon's for FSX! I love the way it handles what a sportscar with wings should fly like, my opinion.

Kiwikat
October 25th, 2009, 09:01
It is an excellent aircraft for FSX, even if it is too shiny. :engel016:

I'm finding it to look aged now though. It has been around for a while. However, it remains in my hangar while others have fallen into storage. :ernae:

letsgetrowdy
October 25th, 2009, 09:37
Best Fs-Addon EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!

Nick C
October 25th, 2009, 09:46
I've stolen the following passage from their website, and it's no hype. Rob's airfiles are well respected through out the industry.

Rob Young spent 25 years as a professional musician before turning to simulation. He has designed flight aerodynamics for many of the major flight simulator developers. He designed the flight models for Fly! II on behalf of Terminal Reality and since changing his focus to Microsoft Flight Simulator has designed the aerodynamics for a diverse group of developers including Lago, JustFlight, Eaglesoft, and MAAM-Sim, picking up awards for nearly every aircraft he has co-designed.

IanP
October 25th, 2009, 09:59
Personally, I prefer A2A's Mk.1, but that doesn't stop me thinking the RAS IX and XIV are superb models as well.

c87
October 25th, 2009, 14:25
I love the RA Spitfire. I'm no flight model expert but to me it flies well and it has additional models that A2A doesn't. However that's not to knock the A2A Spit - I love that one too.

From my perspective the RA Spit has great exterior modeling and a good rendition of a pilot. The cockpit is well done too but I think the A2A Spit's cockpit is a bit better rendered. Just my personal opinion. But I highly recommend the RA Spit.

calypsos
October 25th, 2009, 14:41
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr Young a few weeks ago, TBH, I did not know he was a Brit! but I have been a fan of his for years.

To me, the RealAir Spit is one of the finest aircraft to fly in MSFS, if I have been flying something a little 'iffy' I go and fly some circuits in the Spit, on the numbers with a perfect three pointer at the end.
VERY satisfying.
If Rob has done the flight model, you know it will fly as much like the real thing as a PC will allow.

deimos256
October 25th, 2009, 15:30
I had the fs9 version and i also have the fsx version, its a must buy for me, i personally love every aspect, the sounds, FM, and model are all very believable for me.

gajit
October 25th, 2009, 15:44
I had the fs9 version and i also have the fsx version, its a must buy for me, i personally love every aspect, the sounds, FM, and model are all very believable for me.

I agree fully - it would take an A2A version with Accusim to drag me away from the RA Spit

letsgetrowdy
October 27th, 2009, 07:46
I love the way this plane comes with an excellent paintkit, and is so easy to paint. However, I've sat in a couple of Spitfires myself, and RA Spit's VC is magnificently rendered, but a little on the simplistic side, and I know that the Mark IX does have a manual radiator flap lever, like A2A's, but unlike RA's which has automatic radiator flaps???

SpaceWeevil
October 27th, 2009, 08:53
It's still a great buy. I've also had it since FS9, and it was the first FSX-native addon I ever bought. I've never really taken to their Mk IX for various reasons, but the Mk XIV is a great-looking, great sounding and exhilarating ride.

oakfloor
October 27th, 2009, 09:24
I have both the A2A and the RA, and the RA is the best IMO. If you like mid to late mark spitfires this is for you, my only concern is the interconnected throttle and prop control is not correct. RA says "theres nothing we can do about it" other than that it runs great. The A2A solo spitfire is the best bargain I have ever seen for that quality of software. Get them both. :jump:

SpaceWeevil
October 27th, 2009, 11:08
I always liked this version and this paint, masquerading as a Mk XIX. Ironically, the real XIX this was based on is now painted as a Mk XIV and has lost the contra-prop. Not in my world though!

Nick C
October 27th, 2009, 11:20
I'd forgotten about Ian's review...duh!

Click the following image:

http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/images/reviews/spitfire_review/spitfire_banner_001.jpg (http://www.screenshotartist.co.uk/realair_spitfire_review.htm)

GBrutus
October 27th, 2009, 13:52
The RA Spitfire is indeed an awesome package and well worth the money. The only thing not completely to my liking is the sound which I've partly replaced with Bradburger's Griffon sounds available here at SOH. It's not at all that the sound is bad just a matter of taste but I do like the ambient engine sounds included with the package.

letsgetrowdy
October 27th, 2009, 14:21
I always liked this version and this paint, masquerading as a Mk XIX. Ironically, the real XIX this was based on is now painted as a Mk XIV and has lost the contra-prop. Not in my world though!

Hey, I'vr repainted the 5-bladeprop version of this plane, will upload it some time.

tracyq144
October 27th, 2009, 15:04
I'd forgotten about Ian's review...duh!

Nice review, indeed.

Yes, I guess the reason I asked in the first place was that it does seem easy to fly, and the BoB Spitfire is definitely NOT!, at least for me, the last time I tried it, anyway.

Funny how flight models can differ so much for the same aircraft.

IanP
October 27th, 2009, 15:14
The Spitfire has been described many times as an absolutely beautiful aircraft to fly. Landing? That's a different matter, as the long nose makes approaches hard due to lack of visibility (hence the gently curved "Spitfire approach" and the narrow track undercarriage can make life hard too, particularly on rough surfaces.

Overall, though, most period and modern pilots seem to absolutely adore the type, regardless of which variant they have flown.

I think I'd agree with those that say that the XIV is probably the better of the two in the RAS pack, although sentimentally, I will always go for Merlins over Griffons. I'd still stand by the findings of that review though, and recommend the pack to anyone.