PDA

View Full Version : Fastest skt 775 quad core processor?

Roger
October 25th, 2009, 07:34
My Q6600 has given good service but I can't get it to over-clock past 3.4 gigaHz so I can't get the fsb up to 1.6 gig. What would be the best quad core processor to replace it with that will over-clock easily?

txnetcop
October 25th, 2009, 08:02
Roger, would you rather just upgrade the processor-you do have a great motherboard, or go to the next level i7 920 DO stepping or i7 950 and a new board...what's the budget? You if you are going to stay with Penryn you might consider going to the QX series-they have unlocked multipliers-I have had one at 4.4Ghz on water cooling and it was easy.

If it were me, I would save my money and go on to the i7Core. These i7s are very flexible and powerful. Now that they have been on the market a while there are many examples of how to OC them successfully. My last build for a friend was an i7 Core 950 that OC'd to 4.2 with ease on a ASUS P6T Deluxe v2.
Ted

harleyman
October 25th, 2009, 10:48
The basic q9650 will OC all you need above the Extrems QX series that cost bucks...

kilo delta
October 25th, 2009, 12:32
Top dog skt 775 chip is the 3.2Ghz QX9770. I've been happily running mine at ~4.2GHZ on air...it'll go to 4.5+ with adequate cooling. It's a powerhouse of a chip (so much so that I've turned down some excellent deals on i7 975 chips as I cannot see the point in changing just yet) and will overclock easily as it has an unlocked Multiplier. Down side is the cost (€1,500 at launch when I got mine) but prices have dropped since and you'll probably get a used one off Ebay for a couple of hundred €'s.
Next in line is the 3.0Ghz QX9650......almost as powerful as the 9770 and just as easily overclocked. I've been running mine 24/7 at 4GHZ without issue for the last couple of years.Once again ,these can be bought secondhand from ebay for not a whole lot of outlay.:)

Roger
October 25th, 2009, 15:48
Thanks for the replies fellas:ernae:

Now for some thinking:engel016:

harleyman
October 25th, 2009, 16:33
As you're ditching the Q6600 the Q9550 is also cheap these days and will OC to 3.6 on air easy too....

I see no need for an extreme 775 chip for FSX at all...(QX)

EgoR64
December 7th, 2009, 04:15
:wavey:

Hi All,

I'm ditching my Q6600 as well, Good hand me down for Someone - LOL

Anyways I Purchased an I7 920 with MSI X58 Platinum Intel Motherboard with the Triple Channel Patriot Viper Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 - $600.00 Total -

I still need a Good Case and new HD, but I was going to use my Geforce 260, since me funds are low now -

Shouldl I see some improvement with FSX ?

My main Goal is Traffic, My favorite part of FSX is Interacting with AI Traffic at the Major Airports.

Cheers -

harleyman
December 7th, 2009, 06:07
You will expecially if you overclock that 920....It will easily go a full Ghz faster than stock with a better cooler.

hey_moe
December 9th, 2009, 02:39
Roger,why are you looking to upgrade the processor and what do ya expect to accomplish...me just curious...Mike

Roger
December 9th, 2009, 13:56
Roger,why are you looking to upgrade the processor and what do ya expect to accomplish...me just curious...Mike

Mike, I've heard that getting the fsb over 1.6 gHz and having ram that will operate at that frequency, will help FsX to run smoother. At x9 multiplier that means that the cpu needs to be running at 3.6 gHz.

EgoR64
December 11th, 2009, 10:14

Still tweaking, but the i7 920 is a nice upgrade, along with the new mobo and faster memory, FSX is much more responsive, I will but using acronis to swap out the current HD with a newer faster one.

I'm using the standard fan, which is not that great, So I'm looking at the Corsair H50 CPU Cooler at Bestbuy for only $69.00, looks pretty cool and easy - Has anyone tried it ??

Many Cheers and Thx -

harleyman
December 11th, 2009, 14:06
I have not..but its has to be loads better than the stock one...

Glad your upgrade went good...:applause:

stansdds
December 12th, 2009, 05:58
I have not tried any form of liquid cooling, but the Corsair H50 has received stellar reviews, something that few liquid coolers seem to receive.

Here is a link to the Corsair page regarding their H50. Click the "Awards & Reviews" tab.

http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/default.aspx

I think I'd pick the H50 if I wanted a liquid cooling system.

EgoR64
December 12th, 2009, 10:34

On the H50 -

Running good, Had to remove a side fan cause it was bumping into the Cooling Filter that goes on my rear Fan, No big deal, do not need Side fan anymore-

Caution - Common sense says to place the plate on flat side first, carefull it goes the other way around, easy, place the hex female screws into the slots may have to push them in with flathead to seat firmly, this is how the male screws tighten easily, plus with the sticky strips it will hold everything in place, Only needed to do this on Mobo, and screw the Cooling Filter on the Fan, 1/4 turn on the main Component that goes on the CPU prior to tightening the screws, 2 to 3 turns on each screw easy until nice and firm, but not to tight-

Smooth - pretty slick self contained liquid cooling goin on - :icon29:

Cheers -