PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Chicago area...

Trans_23
October 25th, 2009, 05:50
...going the the iHobby Expo today?

http://www.ciadvt.com/ihobby/index.html

brad kaste
October 25th, 2009, 08:52
Trans,.....went yesterday. Saturday. Loved every moment. Almost more than one can take in no matter how long you stay. Went looking for a large scale steam locomotive to be used strictly as a 'wall piece' covered with a case. Bingo! Found what I was looking for within the first ten minutes. Bachmann Trains makes a scale loco/rolling stock scaled as 1:20:3. They refer to it as Large Scale. Almost too large for a house,...unless one has a large house. I'd say ideal for outdoor usage. Right now I'm looking into one of their logging locos,...like a Shay.
The only negatives was getting in and out of the parking building adjacent to the Convention Center. A REAL nightmare.

Trans_23
October 25th, 2009, 16:09
Brad, you are right about the parking garage. What a nightmare. We just got back a couple hours ago. I don't like going on the last day as all the vendors just have getting home on their mind but it was still a good time. Amzing all the stuff that is out there especially in radio control stuff. I would like to try out a RC helicopter but the cost of one I saw was almost $1400. That might not of even included the controller or batteries. :isadizzy:
Here are a few pics from the show.

brad kaste
October 25th, 2009, 16:57
Trans,.........nice pictures from Model Expo. Two of your middle shots show part of the Bachmann Train display. In fact, in the fourth photo the Narrow Gauge 2-8-0 Outside Frame Consolidation (Yellow Pine Lumber Co.) can be seen. In the background. It's caught my fancy.

Cloud9Gal
October 25th, 2009, 17:10
Oh! Wish I could have seen that Expo! I'll be in Chicago in January- anything similar going on then?

brad kaste
October 25th, 2009, 17:16
Oh! Wish I could have seen that Expo! I'll be in Chicago in January- anything similar going on then?
Cloud,........not that I know of. Model Expo is run one weekend each year,....usually in the third week of October. Cost of the ticket: $10.00,.....cost of parking: $13.00,...cost of the memories: Priceless

Cloud9Gal
October 25th, 2009, 17:20
Cloud,........not that I know of. Model Expo is run one weekend each year,....usually in the third week of October. Cost of the ticket: $10.00,.....cost of parking: $13.00,...cost of the memories: Priceless

Oh well! Maybe one day?

Trans_23
October 25th, 2009, 17:51
If you like model railroading there is a huge show every month but July at the DuPage County fairgrounds in Wheaton, IL. Usually is the first Sunday of the month.

http://www.greatmidwesttrainshow.com/

Trans_23
October 25th, 2009, 17:56
Trans,.........nice pictures from Model Expo. Two of your middle shots show part of the Bachmann Train display. In fact, in the fourth photo the Narrow Gauge 2-8-0 Outside Frame Consolidation (Yellow Pine Lumber Co.) can be seen. In the background. It's caught my fancy.
Both of those caught my eye. That is why the picture was taken. I don't have a layout but have been collecting HO stuff for over 20 years. I would go to a larger scale if I thought I would have the room someday.