PDA

View Full Version : ...so I found this hangar

jdhaenens
October 24th, 2009, 11:42
The original Pic was 216 x 144 pixels, but it was so cool (I like glasswork from the 30's) I had to do it. After I'd modeled it I found it is supposed to be Washington Highway Patrol Hangar at Olympia Regional Airport in Tumway, WA. It was built in 1936-1937.

Does anyone know if it is still standing? Note: the configuration may not be exactly correct (note original picture size ....LOL).

Bjoern
October 24th, 2009, 12:15
Wow! :applause:

kjb
October 24th, 2009, 12:28
It does show up on Google Street View at approximately 7300 Old Hwy 99 SE, Tumwater, WA.

lifejogger
October 24th, 2009, 13:03
That is nice, are you going to publish it somewhere?

crashaz
October 24th, 2009, 13:31
Beautiful work!:wavey:

Going to be nice seeing my Hickam hangars in FSX

cheezyflier
October 24th, 2009, 15:06
Wow! :applause:

FOR REAL! that's very cool. :applause:

jdhaenens
October 24th, 2009, 15:16
Wow, I'd never thought of using Street View. Looks like I'm missing the office area. Bummer. And no door in the middle. Missed some Art deco details as well. This will probably be one of those hangars that shows up in a library with some others that interested me.

Mathias
October 24th, 2009, 16:43
It looks so...German...almost like Bauhaus style....

TeaSea
October 24th, 2009, 17:23
Looks an awful lot like Hangers 1 -4 still standing at MacDill AFB.

I'll try and get you a picture this week.

TeaSea
October 24th, 2009, 17:24
Hangers here lack the glasswork though.....

kjb
October 24th, 2009, 17:36
Wow, I'd never thought of using Street View. Looks like I'm missing the office area. Bummer. And no door in the middle. Missed some Art deco details as well. This will probably be one of those hangars that shows up in a library with some others that interested me.
That's one of the first places I look..."can I find a view of it".

Railrunner130
October 24th, 2009, 22:57
Incredible!! A number of the old art-deco hangers have been saved. Pensicola NAS and Tinker AFB both come to mind of hangers that have been preserved.

jdhaenens
October 25th, 2009, 10:19
OK, this should look a lot more like the one at Olympia Regional. All I need to do is find some signage and put the letters on the roof. Maybe some trusses... Amazing what can be done when the info gets better. Btw, if it's a maintenance hanger, what're the odds of it NOT having a tool/supply room? Wonder if the PNW folks are doing this one already?

crashaz
October 25th, 2009, 11:07
Oh yeah much nicer! Terrific work as always!

Also yeah... them Art Deco hangars are real neat.

robcap
October 25th, 2009, 14:02
A very nice piece of work, don't you just love the era?

kjb
October 25th, 2009, 15:29
Nice detail. This version is quite an improvement.

TeaSea
October 27th, 2009, 15:31
Here ya' go.....

Believe these were put up in 1940 - 41 and they are still used heavily. Lots of the windows on # 5 are painted over, but they are still there.

Pretty similar to the models you've posted.

jdhaenens
October 27th, 2009, 18:13
Mc Dill? Boy I'd like to have a shot of those from the tarmac side.

Cool!

TeaSea
October 28th, 2009, 13:46
Well, the base security forces get a little nervous about that....and I don't have a line badge.

Might have something though...and there's an interesting detail that you can't see on these. See what I can do....

TeaSea
October 29th, 2009, 16:09
Ooops....

Thought I posted this for you last night.

These are from the Ramp side, you see the hanger 2 over the port wing of the BUFF, with a close up.

The other shot is of 1 and 2, with the doors open. These doors are quite massive and mounted on tracks in the floor. They are obviously powered.

mickrick
October 30th, 2009, 11:58
Realy CoooL:ernae:

jdhaenens
October 30th, 2009, 14:35
That is pretty cool. I guess I'll have to start a folder on this one too...:jump:

BOOM
October 30th, 2009, 14:54
As always.........Beautiful work Jim:ernae:

WarHorse47
October 30th, 2009, 15:23
The original Pic was 216 x 144 pixels, but it was so cool (I like glasswork from the 30's) I had to do it. After I'd modeled it I found it is supposed to be Washington Highway Patrol Hangar at Olympia Regional Airport in Tumway, WA. It was built in 1936-1937.

Does anyone know if it is still standing? Note: the configuration may not be exactly correct (note original picture size ....LOL).The answer is yes.

It is used by the Washington State Patrol located at the Olympia Regional Airport in Tumwater, Washington. My office is about a mile away.

Take a look at the building in the background...

--WH

jdhaenens
October 30th, 2009, 16:45
WH,

Thanks a lot. Complete with a T-6A Texan II!

TeaSea
November 2nd, 2009, 15:41
Thought I'd point out this detail.....

There is absolutely no reason for this window to be designed like this....it serves absolutely no practical purpose. But it looks great!

Notice the fluted entryway underneath. There are 4 of these windows on each of the hangers. One at each corner.

jdhaenens
November 3rd, 2009, 04:30
I spotted that as well. A bit of Moorish influence I believe. Art Deco was an era in design that attempted to reconcile modernism with the decorative styles. You need only look at the water tower at Hickam to see how far this could be taken. Note the geometric cutouts.

Mobayrasta
November 3rd, 2009, 05:32
Looks alot like the old hangers here at Patuxent River NAS, where the support equipment is now stoared.

crashaz
November 3rd, 2009, 08:29
I spotted that as well. A bit of Moorish influence I believe. Art Deco was an era in design that attempted to reconcile modernism with the decorative styles. You need only look at the water tower at Hickam to see how far this could be taken. Note the geometric cutouts.

Hehehe... got that.... yeah I know... just need to bring it into FSX. :icon_lol: