PDA

View Full Version : Precision Flying Special Section - Rules

srgalahad
October 24th, 2009, 07:10
Charleville to Melbourne (YBCV - YMEN)

The Race Committee was persuaded to offer a Special Prize for Precision to honour the pilot who is best able to estimate his time to fly the 682.5 nm segment into Melbourne at the conclusion of the Race. To this end the following Rules are presented:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. In his/her "I am departing Charleville" 'baton' post each participating pilot shall make a statement as follows:

"For the Precision Challenge my Estimated Flight Time Enroute to Melbourne is xx : xx (hr : min)"

The estimate is Flight Time from takeoff at YBCV to landing at YMEN. No 'edit post' changes are permitted to submit/change an estimate. If an estimate is not included in the original post it will be deemed that the pilot is not participating in the challenge.

2.The estimate must be consistent with the pilot's cumulative Average Speed as shown on the Race Summary (within 5% in time).

ie 682.5/avg speed +/- 5% (eg. 682.5/200kts = 204 minutes (2hr 24min) +/- 10 minutes -- ETE must be between 2:14 and 2:34).

If the participant is ready to depart YBCV before the previous leg is officially recorded the last-shown Average Speed may be used as reference.

3. The beginning shall be when the Duenna Flight Time begins. The end/total will be considered as reported in the Duenna Flight Time.

-- "auto-arm" is recommended but a manual Duenna start/stop is allowed.

The Committee has the right to make a Time Adjustment in the event a pilot is seen to have landed and spent excessive 'delaying time' on the ground prior to stopping the Duenna. In this case the clock will be stopped 30 seconds after the Duenna shows "On Ground" and the time adjusted accordingly.

4. If the segment is flown in more than one leg the measured time is the cumulative total Flight Time.

The Time Adjustment may be made to any or all legs as deemed appropriate by the committee upon review of the Duenna files.

5. Scoring will be done by calculating the difference between Estimate and Actual times and converting this to "Points" with 60 points accrued for each minute of difference.
The lowest point total shall be declared the winner of this Special Prize.

In the event of a tie, the Committee will award the Prize in the order of:
a) arriving early (relative to the estimate) is better than late; and if still tied,
b) the committee will re-calculate the time down to "seconds" and post the resulting "points".

Rob

srgalahad
October 25th, 2009, 22:18
Just because, or in case..

:bump::bump::bump:

Willy
October 25th, 2009, 22:59
It's stuck now... no more bumping necessary ;)

srgalahad
October 27th, 2009, 13:47
I'll be posting the data in here as is comes available ( with the usual delays for r/l).

Guess well everyone! :wiggle:

Rob

srgalahad
October 29th, 2009, 09:39
Rob O. is first across the line in Melbo.
Proper estimate posted and scored!

This is how you do it:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showpost.php?p=279714&postcount=43

124 points - spreadsheet follows...

Rob

epwatson
October 29th, 2009, 10:00
LOL.. And I had a page all set to go in my spreadsheet.. lol.. :) Sorry the summary hasn't been updated.. Not feeling to well lately. I will update it within the next few hours..

srgalahad
October 29th, 2009, 10:04
LOL.. And I had a page all set to go in my spreadsheet.. lol.. :) Sorry the summary hasn't been updated.. Not feeling to well lately. I will update it within the next few hours..

LOL -- we never said you had to do it ALL Eamonn :applause:

Get well and stay away from swine ... esp. pigs with wings.:mixedsmi:

srgalahad
October 29th, 2009, 19:03
salt_air is down and "alive" (barely) with a score of 78 points and a bunch of Vega bits hanging off his flight suit:icon29:

epwatson
October 30th, 2009, 08:39
3. The beginning shall be when the Duenna Flight Time begins. The end/total will be considered as reported in the Duenna Flight Time.

-- "auto-arm" is recommended but a manual Duenna start/stop is allowed.

The Committee has the right to make a Time Adjustment in the event a pilot is seen to have landed and spent excessive 'delaying time' on the ground prior to stopping the Duenna. In this case the clock will be stopped 30 seconds after the Duenna shows "On Ground" and the time adjusted accordingly.

If we are taking the Duenna Flight Time then excessive ground time will not be included as the Duenna flight time is from wheels up to wheels down, the baton time would include the ground time. So i think that elimiates that problem right there.

Now, what exactly are we allowed to do in the air, can we:

hold near the airport to bleed off a couple min?
adjust our speed during flight/descent to closely match our estimate?
do a 360 on final if we are going to be too early by like 30 seconds?

Thanks guys. :)

srgalahad
October 30th, 2009, 09:14
If we are taking the Duenna Flight Time then excessive ground time will not be included as the Duenna flight time is from wheels up to wheels down, the baton time would include the ground time. So i think that elimiates that problem right there.

"Auto-arm" will start the Duenna at approx 50 kts and stop it at <5 kts. Yes, a lengthy delay on ground will show in the difference but "how much" will be looked at individually. However, a manual Duenna start can be done ( why would you? ask the wife and kids) well before you actually take off, also giving a large difference even if you land and hit the button as soon as you stop. So we'll be looking...

Now, what exactly are we allowed to do in the air, can we:

hold near the airport to bleed off a couple min?
adjust our speed during flight/descent to closely match our estimate?
do a 360 on final if we are going to be too early by like 30 seconds?

Well.... we're just going to leave that up to you. You pays your money and takes your chances...

Or you can ask salt_air how much he enjoyed flying around looking for the airport in 1/10th mile vis and how it threw his choices out the window.

PRB
November 24th, 2009, 12:43
2.The estimate must be consistent with the pilot's cumulative Average Speed as shown on the Race Summary (within 5% in time).

ie 682.5/avg speed +/- 5% (eg. 682.5/200kts = 204 minutes (2hr 24min) +/- 10 minutes -- ETE must be between 2:14 and 2:34).

Ground speed or airspeed? I calculated my average speed by averaging my speeds. Groundspeeds, that is. I used that (+/- 0) as my basis to estimate my time (what else would I use?), which, incidently, I came pretty close to, since I had the great furtune of having a tail wind on one leg and a head wind on the other. I would have flown it in one leg but the little Lockheed has not the range. However, I see that I have beeen declared unconstititional. Where's my sea lawyer?

srgalahad
November 24th, 2009, 13:17
Sea lawyer
Sea lawyer run
RUN lawyer run!

(We'll see about a class-action suit once I get on the ground in Darwin... right now I'm hunting winds over the Timor Sea)

PRB
November 24th, 2009, 13:54
Ok, I know what happened. Because I flew the precision course in two legs, I used the distance that I flew, 732 NM, and my average speed, 178 KTS GS, to calculate my time, which came out to 4.11 HRS. Then, instead of calculating how many minutes 0.11 hours is, I screwed up and declared my time as 04:11 (and change). A couple minutes off. Whatever.

However, the race rules state that I have to use the straight line distance of 682.8 NM to calculate my time, which would have resulted in the calculated time on the Race Summary page, of approximately 3.8 HRS.

So, technically I am, in fact, unconstitutional, as ruled. However, what darn fool would calculate a time to cover 682 NM when he actually had to cover 732? I'm filing a protest with the League of Nations, and I'm placing a call to the Militant Wing of the Salvation Army!

Willy
November 24th, 2009, 14:59
Not the MWotSA!!

MaddogK
November 24th, 2009, 15:49
I'm with ya PRB, without legs to do the run without a stop climbing out from the mid stop would take too much time from the estimate vs. average and make the estimate 'illegal'.

In my case (and yours) it would be pointless to try the precision challenge- that mid stop would add about 15 minutes to the straightline nonstop estimate.

srgalahad
November 24th, 2009, 16:11
Take a deep breath... no.. exhale...

OK, the Flag gets set automatically in the spreadsheet to attract attention... then the committee looks to see why it's set. Certainly an explanation departing Charleville will often be enough but we need to be reminded to look again when you're finally in Melbourne.

Since the Committee hasn't received the hoped-for pay raise, each situation may take some time to examine, discuss and allow/laugh at/nuke.

You think we'd rule out competitors who couldn't afford to buy a plane with decent fuel tanks?? I regret we didn't spell out every eventuality before the rules were posted, but one has only to ask....

PRB
November 24th, 2009, 17:15
No worries, Rob. Just havin a bit of fun with it. I didn't really call the MWOTSA... And I couldn't find the correct phone number of the League of Nations. The one I had says the number is no longer in service... :d

Moses03
November 25th, 2009, 15:23
...I didn't really call the MWOTSA...

Phew! Was getting nervous there for a little while.:kilroy:

Dangerousdave26
November 25th, 2009, 15:57
No worries, Rob. Just havin a bit of fun with it. I didn't really call the MWOTSA.... :d

Paul the phone number is BR-549

Junior Samples is the receptionist and is waiting for your call. :guinness:

However they are booked up until February.

I placed an advanced order and have them on Standby for the RTWR.

:icon_lol:

PRB
November 25th, 2009, 17:06
Dang, they must have been monitoring these transmissions. I just got this in the mail...