PDA

View Full Version : Hobbs Army Air Base

Milton Shupe
October 23rd, 2009, 17:30
HAAF was a WWII training base for B17 bombers. It also had AT-11's for training purposes both fully functional with turrets and bombs and mock units for flight training outfitted similar to the B-25's.

I have a NM funded glossy magazine of the HAAF history including photos, drawings, schematics, etc. of the base, its buildings, its training programs, etc.

If anyone is interested in developing scenery for any of the sims, please say so here and I will make available scans of the magazine, some examples attached.

crashaz
October 24th, 2009, 08:40
Cool! Typical AAF layout found in the Southwest. I would love to try it but I have bitten off plenty now with the P-61. :icon_lol:

Jean Bomber
October 26th, 2009, 10:08
Hi Milton
I would like to help for a cfs2 version there some interesting things to do in this scenery particulary the targets, that could be cool to have a Bomber training bases .I would... cause i've so many place to complete and I could not garanty a reasonable delay :kilroy:.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/cottonchipper/hobbs/HAAFTarget.jpg

Eventually I could participe for some parts (g2k work or mask ) if somebody want make a cfs2 version.

http://www.hobbshistory.com/haaf1.html
http://home.comcast.net/~nmgeoglyphs/nmgeoglyphs.html#Bombing_Range_Location_Maps_

JP

Milton Shupe
October 26th, 2009, 17:08
I have upload around 15 pages of the pictures and writeup for anyone interested. You can get it here:

http://www.flightsimonline.com/downloads/HAAF.zip

If several of you are interested, you may speak up and collaborate on your efforts with others. Certainly some of the work can be shared across sims.

This is a highly interesting WWII Training base with lots of history.

I am also near completion of an AT-11 used at that airbase. I will be happy to provide that and possibly an AI of it for the scenery.

Tako_Kichi
October 26th, 2009, 18:58
It would be the perfect base for the upcoming Accu-Sim B-17. :applause:

For FSX of course.

Maybe I will grab the files and take a look. I have ADE and can make models in Blender that will export to FSX. Getting the period textures and building dimensions may be the hardest part.

Tako_Kichi
October 27th, 2009, 09:50
I just had a look in FSX and the airfield exists as NM83 Industrial Airpark and this is what it looks like in the sim.....

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091027/b_133623.jpg

I would need to fit it to the plans to see how accurate it is and obviously all the living areas/airfield buildings would need to be added (it currently has a few generic modern buildings there) but it certainly looks like it could be reverted back to the 1940's.

Anyone interested in working on the project with me?

Milton Shupe
October 27th, 2009, 10:07
Here is a Google Earth shot of the same. There is a prison on the West side where I work.

If you need any pictures that I can take from the ground, let me know.

You can find NM83 just NW of Hobbs, NM, in central Lea County just west of hwy 18.

Tako_Kichi
October 27th, 2009, 10:14
If you are local Milton just what is that very odd circular road for in the bottom right corner of your shot?

I was checking it out in GE before you posted that pic and I was (and still am) intrigued as to what it is for.

Lewis-A2A
October 27th, 2009, 11:43
B-17 training field would be useful :engel016::kilroy:

PS Milton, that screenshot is amazing, i'd love to have somthing like that done properly in FSX!

Milton Shupe
October 27th, 2009, 15:19
If you are local Milton just what is that very odd circular road for in the bottom right corner of your shot?

I was checking it out in GE before you posted that pic and I was (and still am) intrigued as to what it is for.

That complex is one of the best Junior Colleges in America, the New Mexico Junior College. Most of its buildings are inside the circular road, but there are now sporting fields, stadium, Maintenance, other non-acedemic programmed instruction, and also acedemic classroom buildings outside the road.

Most of the area is now Industrial Park (north and East side), the West side has the prison, there is a noticeable golf course and city park, and some city and county buildings on the NE side. Just off the main complex area is the National Soaring Society complex. Hobbs holds annual soaring competitions attended by world points holders.

Tako_Kichi
October 29th, 2009, 11:11
After some difficulties in getting the latest version of ADE I now have it installed again and started looking at Hobbs. After pasting together a couple of the images Milton provided, then scaling and rotating the image in ADE and laying it under the existing FSX airfield I have the following......

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091029/b_143624.jpg

The old NW-SE runway is close but everything else is well off and of course the apron/building side is not even in the same ballpark.

Looks like lots of work to do just on the airport layout side never mind all the custom buildings. Talking of which, does anyone know of any resources for US WWII airfield buildings? I would imagine a lot were generic for the time (billets, officer housing etc.) with just a few of the hangars and the tower possibly specific to Hobbs.

For the UK there are a number of building libraries made available by Ted Andrews so building UK period airfields is comparatively easy but I don't know if such libraries exist for US WWII airfields.

Tako_Kichi
November 5th, 2009, 15:28
I thought it was time to post an update on the FSX Hobbs remake. I've been a busy boy this past week or so. :icon_lol:

Here is the airport as it looks now. All runways, taxiways, aprons and parking places, windsocks and roads are in the correct positions and all links working for AI traffic.

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091105/b_190743.jpg

The stock FSX fire tower is almost identical to the control towers (three of them) used at Hobbs so that saves some modelling time. ;)

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091105/b_190441.jpg

Here's a shot on the apron looking at one of two AI B-17s I have making trips to the nearest airport and back for test purposes. Some nasty looking clouds in the background too!

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091105/b_190553.jpg

It needs the buildings adding (a big job), some statics placed on the apron and some realistic traffic plans made. I have been promised some stripped down A2A B-17s for AI and static use which will use the same skins as the FSX version so people will be able to reskin them if they want to.

It's looking good so far even if I do say so myself. :icon_lol:

One question I do have that I have not been able to find an answer for yet is did the USAAF have runway lights in the early 1940's? At the moment the field is unlit at night and I am not sure if I should add runway lights or not. Any suggestions?

Milton Shupe
November 5th, 2009, 15:52
That is looking great Larry. :applause:

Once I get the AT-11 done, I hope to provide a low poly AI for this Training Center as it was used extensively to prepare the pilots, bombadiers, and gunners for the B-17's.

crashaz
November 6th, 2009, 23:24
Ok here is the progress so far on models... all will be included in a ww2 library BGL so we can populate some other stateside bases as well.

No textures yet... just drop me a PM and I will send the library BGL.

Still need textures.. but these should be the proper size. You can use these to place in the scenery and I will deliver updates.

Wondering how the heck I color a asbestos covered building.. lol.. white looks not so good in FS... maybe an eggshell white. :isadizzy:

Should have the base hospital, mess and special operations buildings in similar form tommorrow.

crashaz
November 6th, 2009, 23:25
Ah I forgot to mention... I used a copy of a B-17 C/D gmax file to scale the hangar.

Milton Shupe
November 7th, 2009, 04:53
That is looking great Larry ... :applause:

Eggshell white or anything like that ... keep in mind we get lots of wind and sand blowing here and the high plains desert sun can be brutal in longer light days.

Tako_Kichi
November 7th, 2009, 05:21
Thanks Crashaz and I will PM you with my email address shortly for the files.

A pure white (255, 255, 255) washes out badly in FSX so I tend to use 245, 245, 245 as a max. value. The same goes for black too and I use 10, 10, 10 for that.

For asbestos I would use a mottled grey. Try adding some noise and Gaussian blur to something like a 20 or 25% grey.

As to the size of the buildings I can scale them if need be when I place them using ADE. I also have Instant Scenery if need be put prefer to place using ADE. Talking of which, I can place either model files (.mdl) or BGL files from a library using ADE.

Making a library sounds like a good idea and I will start adding a few things too. I am also going to try and keep all textures for the buildings I make to a single sheet to cut down on draw calls.

I re-installed GMAX here yesterday and after messing around for an hour or so started on a building and managed to knock out one of the munitions igloos before bedtime. I will post pics shortly. I am now at the stage where I need to figure out how to apply materials and do the UVW mapping. I have not touched GMAX in at least 18 months so I am a bit rusty plus all my other modelling was done in Blender so I am having to learn GMAX as I go. ;)

Tako_Kichi
November 7th, 2009, 06:22
This is what I have in GMAX at the moment.....

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091107/b_101525.jpg

...and this is what it looks like now.....

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091106/b_193723.jpg

The igloo would have been buried I guess and I could have modelled it that way but it looks like the blast wall supports were only half buried and I have no idea how to model the earth pile or if it is even necessary. We could always claim the airport is from a time before the structures were buried. :icon_lol:

Tako_Kichi
November 9th, 2009, 12:50
Time for another update I guess.......I have been busy placing Crashaz's barracks hut (about 45-50% done now and no tex's on it yet) and if you look closely at the right side you can see the railroad spurs I added too (gonna need some waggons ;) ).

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091109/b_154647.jpg

After a lot of aggravation and operator error I finally got UVW mapping figured out in GMAX and I also totally rebuilt the munitions igloo model from scratch as I was having so many issues with it I figured a fresh start would be better all round. This time I included the dirt covering/back fill too.

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091109/b_154808.jpg

It's not in the right place obviously, I just dumped it there to test it out and so it was easy to find. ;)

With 150+ scenery objects placed so far I am still getting 30 FPS on my rig which I am very pleased about.

Milton Shupe
November 10th, 2009, 03:32
Looking great Larry ... this will be neat to have :applause:

Tako_Kichi
November 11th, 2009, 19:15
Another couple of days go by and another model is placed....actually lots since I have now finished placing all the barrack blocks in their almost identical patterns but the big news is my first full building.

Two days in GMAX to model, UVW map and then texture and a few minutes to put it in game.

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091111/b_230317.jpg

Doesn't look too bad IMHO considering all I had to build from were two dimensions and one partial photograph.

I also modelled the precision bombing targets and placed seven of them at the correct locations but I think I will keep them for 'easter eggs' and let people discover their locations on their own. ;)

Milton Shupe
November 11th, 2009, 20:44
Yes sir ... that is awesome work there Larry. I am loving it! :applause:

crashaz
November 12th, 2009, 17:04
Be back to building this weekend. I have the hangar textured. Still need to do the barracks texture.

Then will go and do the Special Ops building next to the tower.

Been busy with work and tonight spent some time working on Oahu 41 for FSX now that Jim released his Hickam hangars. :wiggle:

Tako_Kichi
November 12th, 2009, 17:35
Sounds good Crash. I have been busy pushing polys again today and have the Officer's Club modelled, the texture just completed and now I have to fit it onto the model (always the tough part for me :icon_lol: ). Pics to follow if I can get it in game tonight.....if not tomorrow for sure.

We could do with getting together via Skype (if you have it) at some point over the weekend so I can send you my models to add to the library and my texture sheet so you can steal stuff for your buildings to keep the look the same. I have been using photo-real for the roof and windows/doors etc.

I have been placing my stuff as models in ADE and it seems to work fine but they should really be part of the library and as I have only placed a few I can replace them with the proper library objects easily enough.

BTW if you use ADE9X at all Jon from ADE sent me the latest beta today as I was having some issues that caused a CTD and problems placing my models accurately and the new beta is perfect and has helped a lot!

EDIT:
I did manage to get the OC in game and even added the two fir trees that are shown in the photograph I have from the period. ;)

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091113/b_005438.jpg

Snuffy
November 13th, 2009, 03:28
Ok here is the progress so far on models... all will be included in a ww2 library BGL so we can populate some other stateside bases as well.

No textures yet... just drop me a PM and I will send the library BGL.

Still need textures.. but these should be the proper size. You can use these to place in the scenery and I will deliver updates.

Wondering how the heck I color a asbestos covered building.. lol.. white looks not so good in FS... maybe an eggshell white. :isadizzy:

Should have the base hospital, mess and special operations buildings in similar form tommorrow.

Any chance of you dropping these models my way too? Thanks.

BTW ... did you ever get a chance to remove the shine from the Bomb Store you modeled for me? Looks like you got it right on the one in this package.

crashaz
November 13th, 2009, 08:13
Were going to make this library available to everyone so they can use to build their own US WW2 airbases. :wavey:

Milton Shupe
November 15th, 2009, 06:40
This is what I have on the HQ building ... will continue to look.

If you have this already, you version should be larger (1184 X 1568)

Tako_Kichi
November 15th, 2009, 07:13
Thanks Milton but I already have that page in the PDF file.

If you look closely at that page you will discover, as I did, that the line drawing in the upper right area is incorrectly described. :isadizzy:

It is identified as the 'HAAF Headquarters Building' which leads you to believe it is the building at the top of the column on the left (i.e. the Camp HQ). However, the footprint is wrong for that building and it's actually a drawing of the building second from the bottom in that column, the Flight Line HQ.

It's the Camp HQ I need info on as there are no pictures of it anywhere in the PDF file nor on any Hobbs related websites I have found.

Milton Shupe
November 15th, 2009, 10:37
Since all of the bases had the same buildings and dimensions basically, I would use the front elevation drawing from the other HQ shown. Just use 3 of them, same design front and rear. Put some parking in front and rear, connecting sidewalks, etc.

Tako_Kichi
November 15th, 2009, 13:51
I can do that. ;)

I was just a bit concerned in case the main HQ was something 'special'. I'd hate to do it all and then have a former staffer come along and say 'That isn't right!' :icon_lol:

I am currently working on the only two-storey type on the base and the external staircase is causing some head scratching moments as I am trying to build it using as few polys as possible.

Milton Shupe
November 15th, 2009, 13:56
Keep in mind any polys facing the ground can be eliminated. :wiggle:

Tako_Kichi
November 15th, 2009, 16:41
Yup....been doing that from the start. I just got into a real mess with it and lost my 'center point' or whatever it's called (the 3-legged gizmo that sits in the middle of the model at z-0) and couldn't get it back again so my views were all rotating about some weird far off point in space. I spent more than an hour trying to fix it and just decided it's probably better to cut my losses and start over. :frown:

I am even having problems creating a new face between four vertices so something is messed up somewhere.

EDIT: After taking a break and reading the forums I have managed to salvage my model...phew! Now I just need to figure out the trick of using the alpha channel to make things invisible in game so that I can make a flat surface look like a lattice structure. I did it a couple of years ago but have forgotten a lot since then....lol.

Tako_Kichi
November 18th, 2009, 18:34
I think it's time for another update....lol. ;)

I have had three very frustrating days trying to get the alpha channel transparency thing working to no avail so I finally gave up and modelled the structure instead. As there are only four instances of the building on the entire site I think I can get away with it. :icon_lol:

Here's the two storey building with the offending fire escape.....

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091118/b_221957.jpg

I also managed to get the Flight Line HQ and the movie theatre modelled and in game.......

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091118/b_221711.jpg
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091118/b_221613.jpg

This next building I am really proud about. I managed to get it built and textured inside 3.5 hours (a record for me) without ever firing up Photoshop. I was able to re-use the previous textures and just map over the top of them which saved me a lot of time......

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091118/b_221828.jpg

There's still lots of unique buildings to do (and lots of basic huts in different sizes) but I am really running short of photo references so I am going to have to use intuition and artistic licence when I run out of photos.

Snuffy
November 19th, 2009, 03:09
Looking good. I'm always envious of guys that can model like that with free form software.

(my problem is that as a mechanical engineer using cad, I'm kinda mind set on the strictness of the engineering cad.)

Milton Shupe
November 19th, 2009, 03:50
YeeeHaaa Larry ... it sure is great to see this coming together. Nice work on the new buildings ... ain't progress goood? :applause:

Tako_Kichi
November 19th, 2009, 07:32
Looking good. I'm always envious of guys that can model like that with free form software.

(my problem is that as a mechanical engineer using cad, I'm kinda mind set on the strictness of the engineering cad.)
I'm a former mechanical engineer too Snuffy and was used to using ACAD for drawings and as GMAX is made by the same people (Autodesk) it really isn't that hard to get a handle on. In fact I bring both skills together by importing screenshots from the PDF file that Milton provided into ACAD and scale them up to full size and then I can take direct measurements of the footprints to get missing dimensions for the models.

Snuffy
November 19th, 2009, 09:30
Nah, I tried GMax ... still have it installed, just don't use it ... probably part of the problem.

Is there a detailed instruction manual somewhere?

But still being an active engineer, I'm stuck in the structuring of the cad system ...

crashaz
November 19th, 2009, 11:14
Sorry been down with the flu but back up under steam again.

Z-AZ1USN
November 19th, 2009, 11:22
[I am also near completion of an AT-11 used at that airbase. I will be happy to provide that and possibly an AI of it for the scenery.[/QUOTE]

Would like to see variation of your AT-11 as a Navy SNB
(Slow-Navy-Bomber). Was around them in 1967-69 at
NAS Cubi Point Phillipines. Every one of them had
cracked spars. :applause:

Tako_Kichi
November 19th, 2009, 12:23
Nah, I tried GMax ... still have it installed, just don't use it ... probably part of the problem.
That could be one reason. ;)

I used to use Blender as I could never get to grips with GMAX/MAX but after my last reformat a few weeks ago I decided that this time I WAS going to learn GMAX/MAX come hell or high water! Once you get a few models under your belt it does get easier although there are still some things that get me scratching my head.

Is there a detailed instruction manual somewhere?
The GMAX help file is pretty useful and there are literally hundreds of tutorials out there for all aspects of modelling and texturing (I always found texturing to be the hardest part regardless of modelling tool but this time I think I finally have a grasp of GMAX UVW mapping). If you want a paper book then a lot of folks recommend the 'GMAX Bible'.

Tako_Kichi
November 19th, 2009, 12:46
Sorry been down with the flu but back up under steam again.
Sorry to hear you've been under the weather Crashaz and glad you are up and about again. As you can see I have been busy while you were down so will need to send you lots of model files and the latest tex file for the library.

Did you say you were interested in doing the hospital complex? I was looking at that earlier today and came to the conclusion that it may be far easier to build one version of each of the buildings and then merge them into a single model and clone duplicates in there as they will all carry the same tex mapping then instead of mapping them en-mass. The covered walkway that connects ALL the buildings would also be much easier to construct if it was all one large model too.

I could then drop the entire complex into ADE in one go and adjust the roads if need be.

If you don't fancy doing the hospital after all maybe you could concentrate on all the flight line buildings as the only things down there at the moment are the stock towers, your three main hangars and my flight line HQ and there are a lot of buildings that need making for that area.

I am currently working on the Officer's Mess and was then going to look at the OR Messes (three identical buildings) but they are a peculiar shape and I have been unable to find even a single photo showing the building style anywhere. I even searched through the three DoD PDF docs I have (several hundred pages each) and found nothing even close to the Hobbs OR Messes.

Tako_Kichi
November 27th, 2009, 10:19
Time for another update I think and lots more buildings in.

First up the base PX.....

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_134331.jpg

...next the cadet's classroom (there are a couple of these buildings)...

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_134442.jpg

...here we have the OR's latrine and the supply hut (lots of these scattered over the cantonment area).....

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_134605.jpg

...and a row of Officer's latrines.........

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_134716.jpg

....here are a couple of the OR's mess halls (there is a third further over to the north).....

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_134830.jpg

....the Officer's mess.....

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_140240.jpg

....and finally (phew!).....one of two (slightly different) cadet mess halls....

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091127/b_140354.jpg

I think I am going to take a look at the motor pool and sub-depot warehouse areas next. Still lots more to model! ;)

Milton Shupe
November 27th, 2009, 12:14
This will be so great! I look forward to an area shot once all the buildings are in place. :jump:

Cazzie
December 1st, 2009, 04:15
My goodness me, I have been overlooking this! :applause::applause::applause: Larry, that is looking so good.

Caz

Lewis-A2A
December 4th, 2009, 12:30
:ernae:

Milton Shupe
December 14th, 2009, 05:13
Excellent progress to date. Any updates? :wiggle:

Tako_Kichi
December 14th, 2009, 09:46
Excellent progress to date. Any updates? :wiggle:
I've been a very busy boy since the last update Milton. ;)

I now have all the Motor Pool buildings in......

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091214/b_131038.jpg

..... and all the buildings in the Sub-Depot (warehouse/rail yard area).....

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091214/b_131309.jpg
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091214/b_131219.jpg

If you look in the distance in that last shot you will also see that all the buildings are also in place in the munitions dump.

I got bored with building simple huts so a couple of weeks ago I started on a vehicle project. I have modelled vehicles and aircraft before but those were in Blender. This time I am learning to do it in a different program and it's taking time. I have the model finished now and I am trying to get it UVW mapped and textured at the moment but that has always been a problem area for me and again it's taking time to do. This is what I have as a model.............

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091214/b_131438.jpg

....it's currently at about 1.8k polys which is not bad as I was trying to keep it below 2k for performance reasons.

Milton Shupe
December 14th, 2009, 10:08
Wow! :applause: This is so awesome! This is an exciting time for the HAAF Base. :ernae:

I have been working on an AT-11 skinnied down if you are interested but it is still too large to consider static scenery. Maybe an AI that comes and goes.

Tako_Kichi
December 14th, 2009, 10:28
I can use it for AI for sure and can have it flying to the aux airfields and back (or if I can figure out how to make AI fly around waypoints instead of from airport to airport I can have it touring the 7 bombing targets in there too).

Can you export one of the LODs as a static Milton? That's what Rob at A2A was talking about doing so I could have some B-17 statics.

Tako_Kichi
December 15th, 2009, 15:54
I finally got my latest model in game a few minutes ago at my local airport that I use for testing purposes. Here's a few screenies of it......

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091215/b_192118.jpg
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091215/b_192213.jpg
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091215/b_192257.jpg
http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/93830/20091215/b_192340.jpg

Unfortunately I also made a discovery that I could kick myself over! :isadizzy:

In an effort to cut down on the number of polys used for the entire project I have been deleting all unseen bottom faces from all the buildings and from the ambulance. When I got it in game I wondered why I was not seeing a shadow from the vehicle despite having 'volume shadow' turned on in the material settings. It turns out that FSX will ONLY make shadows for a fully closed object (i.e. no open faces) so none of my models will cast shadows. Seeing as FSX works on vertex shaders too (unlike FS9) the poly count is actually unimportant as it is the vertex count that matters so I could have left all those bottom faces in with no hit on the FPS!

The dilemma I face now is do I say 'oops' and carry on the way I have been going or do I go back and add bottom faces to all those models just so that I can have shadows from the buildings and vehicles. However, the shadows themselves may well turn out to be a big FPS hit considering the number of buildings I have at Hobbs.

Decisions, decisions!.....lol.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way forward from here?

Milton Shupe
December 15th, 2009, 16:31
In FS9 I never run scenery shadows mainly because of the frame hits.

I think it is important for vehicles and aircraft, but less so for me on buildings.

However, in this case, it would help realism a bit.

Your call ... I will be happy with all that you deliver. :applause:

Milton Shupe
December 15th, 2009, 18:56
Here is an AI AT-11 test version for you to try. Still a WIP.

Tako_Kichi
December 15th, 2009, 19:21
Thanks Milton, I just grabbed it and will try it out tomorrow.

Tako_Kichi
December 17th, 2009, 11:24
After much messing around with 'AI Flight Planner' I finally got your AT-11 flying around Milton. :applause:

I must say it's wearing a rather snazzy suit too but may be a bit bright for USAAF regulations! ;)

Milton Shupe
December 17th, 2009, 15:25
LOL Great! Textures will be another 3-4 weeks. :applause:

Tako_Kichi
March 29th, 2010, 15:54
After a lengthy lay-off due to the RTWR and some RL issues I have finally got back to this project and just managed to get the hospital complex in game after fighting with the Gmax exporter for 24 hours due to some missing MSXML files.

The entire thing is a single model comprising EIGHTY separate items.

I can move on to other stuff now after that time consuming item!

Tako_Kichi
April 7th, 2010, 06:09
Time for another update I think ;) . I have added quite a few things recently.

Here's the fire station ...

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/fire_stn.jpg

... and the base operations building ....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/base_ops.jpg

... in this shot are the two crash stations on the flight line plus one example (of several) of a 'L' shaped building (not sure exactly what it was used for) .....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/crash_stn.jpg

I then moved onto the railyard and started building rolling stock, first up were the box cars ...

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/box_car.jpg

... followed by the flat cars (with several different loads) ....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/flat_cars.jpg

... and finally the tank cars ...

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/tank_cars.jpg

We're getting there .... slowly! :jump:

Snuffy
April 7th, 2010, 07:10
Looks good Larry.

Those last few of the rail assets are 'da bomb'!! :applause:

NoNewMessages
April 7th, 2010, 12:11
That is some nice work on the rail equipment! Dang, wish I had skills like that... :salute:

Tako_Kichi
April 14th, 2010, 12:38
After some research I decided to go with an Alco S2 diesel switcher (shunter) as I found that AT&SF bought 70 of these units in 1942 and it's possible one could have found it's way to Hobbs by 1943 which is the period for the airfield.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/S2_Engine_2.jpg
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/S2_Engine.jpg

Tako_Kichi
April 14th, 2010, 12:39
That is some nice work on the rail equipment! Dang, wish I had skills like that... :salute:
Thanks LCSims...as to the skills...we all start with none!

Milton Shupe
April 18th, 2010, 10:44
Looks good Larry.

Those last few of the rail assets are 'da bomb'!! :applause:

Agreed! Awesome work Larry. :applause:

Milton Shupe
August 1st, 2010, 13:55
Hi Larry,

Any updates on HAAF?

We are getting closer on completing the At-11 ... just curious.

Would you want to make this available as part of the AT-11 package release?

Tako_Kichi
August 1st, 2010, 15:55
Hi Larry,

Any updates on HAAF?

We are getting closer on completing the At-11 ... just curious.

Would you want to make this available as part of the AT-11 package release?
Hi Milton,

The project has been on hold for a looooong time for one reason or another but we did discuss using the AT-11 as an AI package and I do have an early (non-textured) version flying around there so it would be nice to include it as they did operate from there of course. Any chance of a static model too so that I can place a few on that huge empty apron?

CrashAZ was working on the large hangars and he had a computer melt down a while back so I should really get a hold of him too to see where we stand there.

I need to have a chat with Rob from A2A too as he promised me some scaled down B-17's to use as AI flying around too.

Milton Shupe
August 1st, 2010, 16:47
I can relate to that my friend. :)

We are wrapping up the exterior textures and working on the VC now.

I will work on a low-poly version for a static model. No promises about a very low poly version though. :wavey:

Tako_Kichi
August 1st, 2010, 17:01
I can relate to that my friend. :)

We are wrapping up the exterior textures and working on the VC now.
Sounds good.

I will work on a low-poly version for a static model. No promises about a very low poly version though. :wavey:
LOL...a LOD1 or LOD 2 might do it. ;)

Milton Shupe
August 1st, 2010, 19:53
Well, I have about 50% of the polys gone, animations deleted, non-essential parts removed, polys not seen from the outside removed.

If you have gmax, I will send to you when done. Give me a couple more nights.

Tako_Kichi
August 1st, 2010, 19:58
Well, I have about 50% of the polys gone, animations deleted, non-essential parts removed, polys not seen from the outside removed.

If you have gmax, I will send to you when done. Give me a couple more nights.
Sounds good.....I have GMAX but the .mdl file and texture sheet should be fine as I can place it with that I think although I would have to double check that it sees the texture sheet in the scenery texture folder.

Milton Shupe
August 2nd, 2010, 04:01
I can export it as a scenery model but this is going totake a while longer if you want all textures on one sheet. Requires combining the key textures and remapping the whole bird.

Tako_Kichi
August 2nd, 2010, 05:44
I can export it as a scenery model but this is going totake a while longer if you want all textures on one sheet. Requires combining the key textures and remapping the whole bird.
Don't go to the trouble of remapping everything Milton I can use multiple texture sheets. Maybe the GMAX file and texture sheets is the way to go and then I can export it here and all the links will be correct on my system. All I would have to do is redirect the UVW map to the new location for the textures. If you are using BMPs for textures (for FS9) I am going to have to convert them to DDS for FSX anyway.

Milton Shupe
August 2nd, 2010, 16:42
Sounds great. Give me another night or two to squeeze more out of her. :)

Milton Shupe
August 2nd, 2010, 17:34
Larry,

I have upoladed the AT-11 Static model for you. Textures uploading now.

Check your PM's for links.

Tako_Kichi
August 2nd, 2010, 19:40
Thanks Milton I now have the files.

My first attempt at opening the file in GMAX resulted in no textures showing up despite pointing GMAX at the correct file(s). I will try again tomorrow as it's a bit late to be messing around with it now.

Milton Shupe
August 3rd, 2010, 04:23
Larry,

That's because I pulled the textures out of the FS/aircraft/F7F/texture folder. Convert them to 24 bit bmps or jpgs and they will be fine.

Tako_Kichi
August 3rd, 2010, 04:54
Larry,

That's because I pulled the textures out of the FS/aircraft/F7F/texture folder. Convert them to 24 bit bmps or jpgs and they will be fine.
I hope they came out of the AT-11 folder to be honest! :eek::isadizzy::d

I have converted them to 24-bit BMP this morning but it still failed to find the location so I started to manually re-apply materials as that was the only way I could get the texs to show on the model but that is difficult as there are many, many parts where I have no idea which texture sheet they are hiding on.

Any chance we could hook up via Skype or TS3 at some point to discuss it as it would take minutes rather than days to sort something out that way. The SOH TeamSpeak server now has a dedicated channel for developers too. ;)

Milton Shupe
August 3rd, 2010, 15:12
LOL Yes, too many projects going concurrently.

Once you put the textures in a folder, go to Customize/Configure Paths/Materials and modify the path to your folder.

Now, I usually use jpg's instead of bmps for gmax to minimize the memory requirements so I have zipped up the UVW folder with the original content and uploaded it. Gmax differentiates between file types but makemdl always assumes bmp so you must use what I used. Sorry for the confusion.

I will PM the new texture link.

Use the original textures I sent for the FS textures.

Tako_Kichi
August 3rd, 2010, 16:58
Thanks Milton...files grabbed and I will look at them tomorrow.

Milton Shupe
November 13th, 2010, 07:22
Hi Larry,

With the AT-11 within weeks of release, is there any possibility that this project could be ready for concurrent release as a sister project? :wiggle:

Tako_Kichi
November 13th, 2010, 07:33
Replied via PM Milton.

Tako_Kichi
November 20th, 2010, 09:42
After a long period of inactivity for various reasons I am back to work on the Hobbs project again and boy has it come a long way since the last update! I can now say it's very near to completion apart from some additional 'eye-candy', beta testing and the documentation to go with it.

I now have all the main hangars modelled, textured and in place....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/Hangars.jpg

...and you can just see one of Milton's static AT-11's in the corner (there are several in situ).

I have added some stock items to fill some empty spaces and to add interest. The on-site factory complex is in place....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/Factory.jpg

...as are a few bits and pieces around the rail yard...

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/Lumber.jpg
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/Crates.jpg
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/Barrels.jpg

...I also re-textured the loco to better represent the time period....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/Loco.jpg

I added a few flagpoles around the place too...

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/Flag.jpg

....and a LOT of B-17's to the flight line ....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/B-17.jpg

...there are more behind me too!

Finally I now have fully working AI AT-11's and B-17's flying around the place. Here's a shot of the AT-11 taxiing out to take-off....

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af305/Tako_Kichi/AT-11.jpg

As you can see I have been busy the last week and we are not far off now! :jump:

Milton Shupe
December 12th, 2010, 08:51
Testing this is certainly eye-opening with its grand scale. Wow! Looking forward to the final product. :)

Attached is a picture Damian photoshopped to include the new AT-11 seen in your scenery and an the original picture from the glossy document of the air base.

CrisGer
January 5th, 2011, 09:47
this looks like a great project. just stumbled across it.. as for the train, a steam engine would probably be a more accurate fit...there are plenty of them for MS train sim that should convert as models fine. check out Ms Train Sim.