PDA

View Full Version : Rebirth of the Bugatti Air Racer

Lionheart
October 23rd, 2009, 16:45
Hey all,

A group are creating a replica of the Bugatti P100 Air Racer. This should be pretty cool. They have an engineer recreating all the various dimensions and curves and angles based off the actual plane in the museum at Oshkosh.

There is a great mini movie on it and story at the EAA website here;
http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-10-23_bugatti.asp

Is that thing sexy or what...........?!

Bill

Matt Wynn
October 23rd, 2009, 16:47
man that is nice, always loved the lines on this bird :jump: they making for flight or static?

Lionheart
October 23rd, 2009, 16:51
man that is nice, always loved the lines on this bird :jump: they making for flight or static?

This looks to be a flying bird. They seem to want to find out what it would do and how and why.

One of the difficult parts is recreating the wing foils throughout the wing surfaces. Another is the wood structure, as its all glued together deep in the core and shaped, similar to a Pfalz WWI fighter. And speaking of fighters, they talked on the fact that this was also pretty much a fighter aircraft prototype, so the performance aspects from an actual aircraft that flies, should really be interesting.

Bill

Matt Wynn
October 23rd, 2009, 16:54
yeah, never knew they talked on it being a Fighter prototype but WOW! i might just have to profile art that beauty :wiggle:

Dain Arns
October 23rd, 2009, 17:18
Well shucks Bill, now I'm missing your Bugatti addon since I switched to FSX... :crybaby:

Railrunner130
October 23rd, 2009, 23:06
This will be incredible! I can see this turning into a (production) kit plane, constructed of composite materials. Depending on how it flies of course.

Lionheart
October 24th, 2009, 09:30
This will be incredible! I can see this turning into a (production) kit plane, constructed of composite materials. Depending on how it flies of course.

This first one they are making will be made like the original, carved woods, special woods on the exterior, French Poplar on the structural members within the wood core.

They only mentioned making one replica. I can only figure that they are making one to fly.

As for a composite future model, that would be interesting.

These days, they could actually make the wood versions and have a large CNC multi-axis full scale platform machine to carve the shape form a digitized image, which is how alot of the car design studios are making their prototype cars now. That way you would have wood, which is one of the best composite structures around.

Bill