PDA

View Full Version : WOW-Sleeping on the job???

papab
October 22nd, 2009, 15:07
Take a read of this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091022/ap_on_bi_ge/us_northwest_airport_overflown

vstudios
October 22nd, 2009, 15:15
maybe they had a BIG windows 7 launch party the night before.

Donkey
October 22nd, 2009, 19:58
Heard that on the news earlier today. They're investigating and thinking it most likely was due to fatigue. It'll be interesting to hear the outcome of the investigation.

heywooood
October 22nd, 2009, 21:09
I just heard they were having an 'engaging discussion' that caused the distraction and ultimate deviation from the approach path

harleyman
October 23rd, 2009, 01:20
Remind me to take the bus next time they are at the joystick.....LOL

stansdds
October 23rd, 2009, 02:39
With the amount of time most commercial pilots are required to fly it's not surprising to find they are napping at the wheel. It's pretty scary.

IanP
October 23rd, 2009, 07:33
The reports I have read are that it was a "very animated discussion" and that the CVRs have been taken for analysis.

Whatever, big whoops!

Lazerbeak
October 23rd, 2009, 08:52
I have heard of some new luxury cars that now have a system that actually senses when the driver is dozing off, and gives an alert to wake you up. This seems like something that would really have a good use in an airliner, I think.

Falling asleep on the controls of an airliner is obviously something to be avoided and rectified, but I can't say I really blame them. These can be VERY boring flights, especially long-hauls over the Pacific/Atlantic, where you're spending several hours flying on autopilot over nothing but seemingly endless ocean. I know that, when I do it in FS, I begin to nod off myself! :icon_lol:

gajit
October 23rd, 2009, 08:58
"I thought you set the Alarm!?!"

ryanbatc
October 23rd, 2009, 09:13
With the amount of time most commercial pilots are required to fly it's not surprising to find they are napping at the wheel. It's pretty scary.

no kidding, plus the very low pay FO's are getting these days

gajit
October 23rd, 2009, 09:55
no kidding, plus the very low pay FO's are getting these days

Why - how much do they earn?

IanP
October 23rd, 2009, 10:17
BA Second Officers were on about £16k a few years ago, when I applied (while earning £12k). First Officers were about £20k.

There's a very well known saying in commercial aviation that it costs you far more to get your license than you'll ever make back in salary. Until you get a long-haul left-hand seat, it still rings worryingly true.

gajit
October 23rd, 2009, 10:24
Well - if they dont like it then they could choose another profession - even postmen see the houses get smaller - just horizontally (not meaning they sleep on the job LOL)

IanP
October 23rd, 2009, 10:27
Flying is only ever a job you will only ever do out of love, not for the money. :engel016:

gajit
October 23rd, 2009, 10:58
I love it but could never afford to be a professional/commercial!

Bjoern
October 23rd, 2009, 11:14
Wasn't there a similar case a while ago?

Pilots dozed off and overshot a hawaiian island by an hour or so.

IanP
October 23rd, 2009, 11:19
How the blithering blazes anyone could sleep through a SELCAL call is beyond me. The one I caught while crossing the Atlantic on the flight deck of a BAW B772 even made the Captain jump!

gajit
October 23rd, 2009, 11:31
We got this visitor when our "pilots" did not hear french contollers trying to call them!!

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq119/GAJIT/MiragefromPC12.jpg

pbearsailor
October 23rd, 2009, 12:18
What happened is wrong, but to me it all stems from the relationship between the FAA and their client, the airline industry. Flight time and duty time limits are a joke and do nothing to improve safety.

I've had copilots fall asleep and I'm sure I've nodded at times off as well. For sure, I've made plenty of flights when tired, when I wasn't as sharp as I should be to hand fly a night ILS to minimums or go into a short runway with a big crosswind.

What this crew did is wrong, but they'll be punished way beyond what they should. The airlines and the FAA will remain in bed with each other and nothing will change about the root of the problem.

steve

wantok
October 23rd, 2009, 14:28
..and on a related note, a Delta Airlines B767 landed on the taxiway at Atlanta instead of the rwy only a few hours before the Northwest incident. http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=136627

Delta owns Northwest also.

centuryseries
October 23rd, 2009, 14:34
..and on a related note, a Delta Airlines B767 landed on the taxiway at Atlanta instead of the rwy only a few hours before the Northwest incident. http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=136627

Delta owns Northwest also.

Hey whats wrong with that I do it in FSX :icon_lol:

wilycoyote4
October 26th, 2009, 16:22
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/10/26/airliner.flyby/index.html

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var CNN_storyImageGallery = [{ caption: "An airline spokesman said Northwest has sent $500 travel vouchers to passengers of Flight 188.",image: "/2009/US/10/26/airliner.flyby/story.nwa.airliner.gi.jpg"},{ caption: "Officials are investigating the cockpit voice and flight data recorders from Northwest Airlines Flight 188.",image: "/2009/US/10/26/airliner.flyby/story.flight.recorders.gi.jpg"}];cnn_stryichgInit();</SCRIPT><!--endclickprintexclude--><!-- /REAP -->STORY HIGHLIGHTS

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
NEW: Delta statement: "Using laptops ... will result in termination"
NEW: Pilots have been suspended until investigations conclude
Northwest says it's offering $500 travel vouchers to passengers
Flight overshot Minneapolis by 150 miles; Feds interview flight attendants<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

(CNN) -- The pilots of the commercial jetliner that last week overshot its destination by about 150 miles have said they were using their laptops and lost track of time and location, federal safety officials said Monday.
The Airbus A320 was flying at 37,000 feet over the Denver, Colorado, area at 5:56 p.m. Wednesday when it last made radio contact, the safety board said.
......................."Each pilot accessed and used his personal laptop computer while they discussed the airline crew flight scheduling procedure," the report said.
--------------------------------------------------
Read all of it as you like using link above....................

harleyman
October 26th, 2009, 16:30
Yea...I land on the taxi ways all the time

Bjoern
October 28th, 2009, 11:01
*Chuckle*

Seems me surfing the web while on a flight in FSX isn't that unrealisitic at all.