PDA

View Full Version : SWSucceed - Golden Era DC3

SWSucceed
October 22nd, 2009, 14:17
Good luck my fellow competitors and may the race be run in the best of spirits!!

:ernae:

Spookster67
October 22nd, 2009, 21:41
Good luck my fellow competitors and may the race be run in the best of spirits!!

:ernae:

Good luck youself, Stuart! I'll be leaving Mildenhall right behind you sometime this weekend...

SWSucceed
October 23rd, 2009, 10:43
I have the baton, departing EGUN for LOWW ...

SWSucceed
October 23rd, 2009, 12:46
Re-direct to un-prepared airfield after fuel problem and crashed on landing ... + 2 hrs penalties!!!

MaddogK
October 23rd, 2009, 13:04
OUCH ! Don't let it discourage you, press on !!!

..Thanks for joining me in the penalty box.

epwatson
October 23rd, 2009, 13:11
SWSucceed,

do you have the Duenna of your flight? Just so we know where you are at now and what your flight time was.

SWSucceed
October 23rd, 2009, 13:12
OUCH ! Don't let it discourage you, press on !!!

..Thanks for joining me in the penalty box.

My dream is here: :pop4: :isadizzy: :gameoff:

Oh well onwards and upwards I guess ... never crashed in RTW!!

SWSucceed
October 23rd, 2009, 13:16
SWSucceed,

do you have the Duenna of your flight? Just so we know where you are at now and what your flight time was.

Hey Eamonn
Yes was having difficulty finding out how to attach, done now and I "landed" at EDEQ :engel016:

Spookster67
October 24th, 2009, 01:00
Re-direct to un-prepared airfield after fuel problem and crashed on landing ... + 2 hrs penalties!!!
Eeek! Bad luck Stuart. I reckon you need to put a Fuel Status gauge in that DC-3. Here's the one we used in RTW, which I'm sure you have in your gauges folder.

Backup your panel.cfg file, then add this:

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window Titles]
Window08=Fuel Status

[Window08]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=190,60
position=2
visible=0
ident=48
windowsize_ratio=0.6

gauge00=RKG_fuelstat!FuelStatusSq_recip_wide, 0,0,190,60

Hope you have a successful next hop...

SWSucceed
October 24th, 2009, 04:42
Am departing EDCO ~NOT EDEQ~ for LIRA

I landed at EDCO last night NOT EDEQ, I confused I guess in my disappointment ... the attached graphic shows that EDCO matches lattitude/longitude with the Deunna graphic, sorry for the mix-up!

SWSucceed
October 24th, 2009, 07:49
Landed LIRA and on taxi off of runway FSX cried out CRASH!! Was a prefectly fine landing :applause:

(Q: Baton time is nothing like flight time, and my weather is Real @ 15 mins but shows yellow - any of these items an issue or are they fine?).

Spookster67
October 24th, 2009, 08:10
Landed LIRA and on taxi off of runway FSX cried out CRASH!! Was a prefectly fine landing :applause:
The baton time is wrong because Duenna thinks you crashed. But looking at the text file you were on the runway 25 seconds and the speed was down to 25 knots indicated, so I reckon you found a taxiway that is very poorly connected to the runway. If you ask nicely, the committee might let you treat that as a good landing...

Best to stop the plane on the runway, stop the Duenna, then taxi off.

MM
October 24th, 2009, 09:25
Stuart, you are ok here.

As Martin indicates, you were slowing down while on the runway when all of the sudden you crashed downwards 17 feet. You were taxiing?

In any case, we'll accept the Flight Time as official on this leg.

As to the weather, remember that the Duenna looks at the FSX.cfg from your last flight. (That should have real weather indicated when you shut down.) The Duenna has difficulties, particularly with other weather machines such as Active Sky. As long as you are running FS Real Weather (or Active Sky or some such), then you are fine.

Mike

On another topic: Note that in the RTWR, which is much more competitive, this might or might not pass muster. A harder decision.

Martin is right. Best to stop immediately on the runway and stop the Duenna right there.

SWSucceed
October 25th, 2009, 04:54
Stuart, you are ok here.

As Martin indicates, you were slowing down while on the runway when all of the sudden you crashed downwards 17 feet. You were taxiing?

In any case, we'll accept the Flight Time as official on this leg.

As to the weather, remember that the Duenna looks at the FSX.cfg from your last flight. (That should have real weather indicated when you shut down.) The Duenna has difficulties, particularly with other weather machines such as Active Sky. As long as you are running FS Real Weather (or Active Sky or some such), then you are fine.

Mike

On another topic: Note that in the RTWR, which is much more competitive, this might or might not pass muster. A harder decision.

Martin is right. Best to stop immediately on the runway and stop the Duenna right there.
Hi Mike, Martin
I've no idea what the numbers in the Duenna mean so thanks for the clarification ... I am at that airport now and there appears to be NOTHING WRONG!! lol!! So I am guessing, 17ft could be skidding or steering off the runway or wing-dipping maybe if starting to turn-off too fast? Seems to me the penalty is a fair one ... I landed it again today in the daylight without any such issues ... got to be something I did.

Keep the race fair to all I'm here to learn and for the fun and challenge not the victory.

SWSucceed
October 25th, 2009, 04:55
Departing LIRA for LGAT ...

SWSucceed
October 25th, 2009, 05:04
NOTE: Yesterdays leg EDC to LIRA I should have advised I climbed to 14,500 varying to clear the mountains during the flight ... sorry not to have included that

Great emoticons here but perhaps we need one that slaps in the face :icon_lol:

SWSucceed
October 25th, 2009, 07:51
Landed LGAT :applause:

If you'd like to read my flight reports and pictures:

Leg 1 report: http://aspirefsx.com/viewthread.php?tid=237

Leg 2 report: http://aspirefsx.com/viewthread.php?tid=240

Leg 3 report: http://aspirefsx.com/viewthread.php?tid=241

or on the blog: http://fsx.aspireblogs.com

SWSucceed
October 25th, 2009, 08:42
Eeek! Bad luck Stuart. I reckon you need to put a Fuel Status gauge in that DC-3. Here's the one we used in RTW, which I'm sure you have in your gauges folder.

Backup your panel.cfg file, then add this:

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window Titles]
Window08=Fuel Status

[Window08]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=190,60
position=2
visible=0
ident=48
windowsize_ratio=0.6

gauge00=RKG_fuelstat!FuelStatusSq_recip_wide, 0,0,190,60

Hope you have a successful next hop...
Thanks Martin, but as this is not part of the original aircraft I am going to forgo it. I have calculated my consumption with 20 knot tailwinds and 11,000ft operating ceiling and will use this as my rule of thumb :isadizzy:

SWSucceed
October 27th, 2009, 01:43
Departing LGAT for OSAP

Spookster67
October 27th, 2009, 02:00
Thanks Martin, but as this is not part of the original aircraft I am going to forgo it. I have calculated my consumption with 20 knot tailwinds and 11,000ft operating ceiling and will use this as my rule of thumb :isadizzy:
Well good for you! But I do think an assumption of a 20 knot headwind would be less risky.

Maybe see you in Baghdad in the next day or two... :wavey:

SWSucceed
October 27th, 2009, 05:14
Landed OSAP :applause:

My leg 4 flight report: http://aspirefsx.com/viewthread.php?tid=246

or the blog: http://fsx.aspireblogs.com

SWSucceed
October 27th, 2009, 05:16
Well good for you! But I do think an assumption of a 20 knot headwind would be less risky.

Maybe see you in Baghdad in the next day or two... :wavey:
Thus far I have only flown in tailwinds, so that is all the data I had from past flights, today I had 7 knots headwind so I now have some data to go by ... never took such detailed notes on the DC3 before but will be keeping this for reference for the future :)

Will indeed see you in Baghdad, safe flying!

SWSucceed
October 27th, 2009, 05:23
Departed OSAP for Compulsory Baghdad, ORBI

SWSucceed
October 27th, 2009, 07:24
Landed ORBS :applause: - apologies for the delay in the forum record but I could not log-in, had CAPS LOCK on DOH!

Spookster67
October 27th, 2009, 07:36
Landed ORBS :applause:
Well done!
I should be there myself by about 2300z, so I'll meet you for a few :guinness::icon29:.

SWSucceed
October 28th, 2009, 13:09
Departing ORBI for OIBB ...

SWSucceed
October 28th, 2009, 15:25
Landed OIBB :applause:

SWSucceed
October 29th, 2009, 01:18
Leg 5 flight report and pictures: http://aspirefsx.com/viewthread.php?tid=250

Or the blog: http://fsx.aspireblogs.com

Lots of sand .... what more can I say :icon_lol:

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 02:55
Departing OIBB to OIZJ ...

Never got off ground? Aircraft rolled over immediate on leaving runway?

Traced fault to mouse, had managed to toggle mouse yoke so when moving mouse to dashboard of plane it rolled it over. Watch out for that one!

Took a reboot to get duenna to go off of red. Try again.

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 03:14
Departing OIBB for OIZJ ... :running:

Spookster67
October 30th, 2009, 03:27
Traced fault to mouse
Ah, yes, pesky rodents! :costum: When mice start chewing through the instrument cables all sorts of bad things can happen...

Hope the weather at Jask is good for you - I imagine it would be quite hard to find in IMC.

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 05:37
Landed OIZJ :applause:

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 05:43
Ah, yes, pesky rodents! :costum: When mice start chewing through the instrument cables all sorts of bad things can happen...

Hope the weather at Jask is good for you - I imagine it would be quite hard to find in IMC.
hehe!
Had t swing out to the coast as it was blanket cloud at times and I needed to see that "spur" that juts out about 25 mins out from landing, an indication when to swing out a little to make the landing approach.

Outside the coast beautifully clear and very few winds or problems. Mice have been humanely dealt with, and the box of crackers found dumped under the co-pilots seat have been removed, dusted off and who knows, may be useful if I get peckish!!

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 06:04
Departing OIZJ for OPKC ... :running:

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 08:51
Landed OPKC ... :applause:

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 11:29
Departing OPKC ... :running: Headed for Agra AB (VIAG) hoping to keep the English End Up lmao!!

SWSucceed
October 30th, 2009, 14:38
Crashed about 15 or so miles from the runway at about 4,000ft I think ... it happened so quick I can hardly recall, I was on a simple 1000ft/min descent but I hit a freak shear wind that rolled the DC right over and into a nosedive, I was unable to get the auto-pitch controller off line as the cockpit was rolling and we stacked into the ground.

This is a second crash and a 3 hours penalty on top of the other 2 hours so the continuation of this is pointless. I would not have survived the landing anyway so that's me done. I won't have time to run from the start again I don't think in a second entry.

Thank Sim Outhouse, here's to the RTW 2010!!

Best of luck to all the rest of you out there :)

Spookster67
October 30th, 2009, 15:47
Bad luck again Stuart. Sorry to see you pull out, we were just getting into a bit of a race between you and I... :icon_lol: I think I was about half an hour behind you landing in Karachi (it seems everyone is landing in Karachi today - maybe there's a party...:jump:)

I still have the Cessna C414A parked up at Mildenhall, and team slots open for willing pilots, so perhaps you can help me get that to Oz? After all, there's still a month to go in this event.

SWSucceed
October 31st, 2009, 00:27
Bad luck again Stuart. Sorry to see you pull out, we were just getting into a bit of a race between you and I... :icon_lol: I think I was about half an hour behind you landing in Karachi (it seems everyone is landing in Karachi today - maybe there's a party...:jump:)

I still have the Cessna C414A parked up at Mildenhall, and team slots open for willing pilots, so perhaps you can help me get that to Oz? After all, there's still a month to go in this event.
I would imagine that a party in Karachi would mean some stunning food ... Tom was with me last night and got his controls off and had a terrible trouble landing, hearing him going "ooohh" "aaahhh" s@&!!%&* was mad but he got down lol!

I need to fly some 50 hours by end November and I get time to do around 10 maybe per week with family and bowling committments so would need time off work which is not possible until Christmas now so another solo is not possible.

The team flight is always a possibility - I will try and get Tom and Roger on-board as well. I'll at least try to get it off the ground. Would you be averse to me asking committee for a name change on the team considering no one else has actually made any committment to it thus far?

Best of luck on the solo!!

SWSucceed
November 9th, 2009, 11:36
Now flying under the name of Teams AspireFSX.com current members SWSucceed and Spookster67 we have repaired the DC-3 albeit now made of 8 different donor craft and have departed OPKC Karachi Airport headed to to VIAG Airforce Base ... Eamonn there are I believe 3 hours to add as the crash penalty??

Departin OPKC Karachi Airport ... :running:

SWSucceed
November 9th, 2009, 11:58
OK ... took the DC-3 up and she climbed and climbed and climbed ... trouble is I could not stop no matter what I tried ... had so much negative trim it was crazy and unflyable.

Crashed the program and restarted, exactly the same thing, reboot and blahhhh just this weird nonsense. This race is simply not going to happen for me this year so that is it FINALLY for me, I am getting to frustrated at the problems.

Check out the pitch reference in the pic ... something has gone screwy with my DC-3 model maybe which could explain these weird taxi crases and the roll over on take-off a few days back ... and then perhaps why the DC rolled rightover in that wind shear when Tom's did not ...

Spookster67
November 9th, 2009, 13:28
Check out the pitch reference in the pic ... something has gone screwy with my DC-3 model maybe which could explain these weird taxi crases and the roll over on take-off a few days back ... and then perhaps why the DC rolled rightover in that wind shear when Tom's did not ...
Looks like some sort of FSX config glitch has got you again, bad luck. Or maybe our friends in Karachi just didn't fix her quite right... :isadizzy:

Now we're a team entry, let me join in and see whether I can tame it.

OPKC to VIJO.

Spookster67
November 9th, 2009, 15:18
Down safely at VIJO.

Wow, the DC-3 can get thrown around in the turbulence, that got a bit exciting at times! Having only 2 gallons of fuel left at the end was also slightly concerning, no chance for a go-around... Need to plan better next time.

SWSucceed
November 16th, 2009, 01:41
Well done ... catches you quick at times she does ... glad to say that one of our Aspire members has experienced the DC-3 roll over onto back on take-off that I have had during this race, but keep that in mind when you're rolling ... good luck with the finish, shout out if you think you need a bit of help as I'd be OK to make a trip or two to help you out.

Spookster67
November 26th, 2009, 23:25
Moving the DC-3 along. Pre-dawn departure, as we may get several flights in today.

VIJO - VIAL

Spookster67
November 27th, 2009, 02:04
Down at Allahabad, but it nosed over and crashed when I applied too much brake.

I guess I should have aborted the flight when I realised I had a problem with my flight yoke (it wasn't connected to FSX at all) but I reckoned I could land the DC3 using just the Sperry autopilot. I went for runway 06, which was fine, and I got her down no problem. However, I'd used up a lot of runway by being very careful with the touchdown using autopilot control, and so I had to stand on the brakes. Ooops!

This DC3 is determined not to make it to Melbourne. We'll see...

So, "crash landing", more penalties, and we continue.

Spookster67
November 27th, 2009, 02:16
Re-fueled, nose cone repaired, and we're heading for Burma.

VIAL - VYSW

Spookster67
November 27th, 2009, 03:31
Flight aborted - pilot not paying attention, and co-pilot not doing his job properly! Broke the 12,000' and 15,000' hard ceiling. :isadizzy:

Re-starting, without penalty, VIAL - VYSW.

Spookster67
November 27th, 2009, 07:12
No mistakes this time, a comfortable flight, and a nice landing at Sittwe.

Spookster67
November 27th, 2009, 07:16
Splash and dash with the fuel, and we're off again. This time to Rangoon, VYYY.

Spookster67
November 27th, 2009, 08:44
Down at Rangoon. That's it for today, time to find the pub. :icon_lol:

Spookster67
November 27th, 2009, 23:42
Up at dawn to move on, this time to WMKA.

Spookster67
November 28th, 2009, 04:14
Oooh dear, more problems. Got called away from the cockpit - should have been for a short time, but it ended up being a long time. Looks like it ran out of fuel or got hit by turbulence, and then descended gradually into the sea.

When I've dried out my rules book, I'll work out where we're re-starting from... :isadizzy:

Spookster67
November 28th, 2009, 23:15
The DC3 ditched just off-shore from Nakhon Si Thammarat, and that has an airport, VTSF. So, re-starting from there, with a three hour penalty, plus the previous hop's flight time.

Still trying to get to WMKA....

Spookster67
November 28th, 2009, 23:39
Been doing some accounting while enroute:

Cumulative flight time: 32:46:41
Cumulative penalties: 08:00:00 :redface:

Total time: 40:46:41.

And it looks like we might not make the deadline at Melbourne.... never mind.

Spookster67
November 29th, 2009, 00:11
Down at WMKA.

Fligt time: 48:06

Cumulative flight time: 33:34:47
Cumulative penalties: 08:00:00
Total time: 41:34:47.

Spookster67
November 30th, 2009, 04:29
To Singapore (WSSL).

Spookster67
November 30th, 2009, 06:36
Down at WSSL, but off the end of the runway, down a steep ramp, and crashed into a tree. :isadizzy:

This DC3 just doesn't want to play. Maybe we'll leave it at Singapore, and call it a day.

SWSucceed
December 1st, 2009, 02:46
There are times when it just is not mean't to be, and I think this was one of those Martin, but we at least get full marks for having a go and next time we'll be far better prepared and a lot more wiser, eh?

:medals: :applause: